Scout.com Cardinals Fantasy Talk on SiriusXM

Scout.com has a full-scale fantasy sports presence, which can be accessed at fantasy.scout.com. Another element of the initiative is a nightly show on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio, Sirius channel 210 and XM channel 87.

Heading into the All-Star break, I joined hosts Tommy G and Dr. Roto, Scout Senior Fantasy Sports Experts, to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals from a fantasy perspective.

Among the subjects touched upon during this excerpt, extracted from a longer interview, include Jason Heyward‘s first half of the season and whether he might remain a Cardinal in 2016 as well as the differences in Trevor Rosenthal this year.

Listen to the audio below.

Brian Walton

Brian Walton runs The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation Blog, covering the St. Louis Cardinals and minor league system.

52 Responses to “Scout.com Cardinals Fantasy Talk on SiriusXM”

I noticed the Mets pitcher in the 8th wearing rather bulky protective head wear. Its the first time I have noticed any kind of obvious protective head wear on the mound.

Odd how our best hitter is given the 8th slot in the lineup.

Even more odd that he gets anything to hit with the pitcher up next.

True.

Nonetheless, Grichuk should be batting higher. Yadier can bat 8th.

Mo needs to hire some college grad to figure out the lineup everyday and give the card to Matheny to rubberstamp. Batting your highest OPS guy 8th makes no sense.

Maybe the Astros hacked our lineup algorithm.

Today’s lineup, for example.

1. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
            2. Randal Grichuk (R) RF
            3. Jhonny Peralta (R) SS
            4. Mark Reynolds (R) 1B
            5. Yadier Molina (R) C
            6. Tommy Pham (R) LF
            7. Peter Bourjos (R) CF
            8. Pete Kozma (R) 3B
            9. Tim Cooney (L) P

Holliday is easing back from injury, good to use Pham. Carpenter can always use an offday. Noise beaned Heyward in 13; Jason can use an off day while we can showcase Bourjos. Molina is always ready.

We could have used Cruz and set the record for sub .200 hitters in a lineup. The mets probably already think we are making fun of them. The .224 clean-up hitter is rich. But who knows, big leaguers can play, we might score 10.

I remember when we finally unloaded Chris Duncan in 2009. Whew, what relief.

Mo can get that same good feeling by running Pete Kozma out of town. Greg Garcia can upgrade Pete’s roster slot.

Greg Garcia already contributed to beating the Cubs with a clutch HR in the bottom of the 8th at Busch. Role players can make the difference.

The Diiamondbacks gave a chance to a AA outfielder a couple of years ago, old for a rookie, once a southpaw for Johnson City, David Peralta. Now Peralta is being targeted on the trade market, because contenders need guys who can get on base.
    Mo has a guy like this at Memphis, Hazelbaker, 27, released by the Red Sox. When it gets into the dog days of summer, a hot bat is what you want to ride. We could send Pham back down to get regular at bats and regain his stroke, giving Hazelbaker a chance.

Everybody failed repeatedly yesterday.Still there is no real justification for having a lineup with pete Kozma as your starting 3B.People used to gripe about TLR using a junk lineup after winning the first 2 games of a 3 game series and MM seems to do the same.Yesterday seemed like a giveaway game .Cards missed a great chance to add a game to the lead and simply blew it.Kozma needs to be replaced along with Pham and Dan Johnson.Time to make something happen Mo.

The immediate reaction appears to be the promotion of Stephen Piscotty from Memphis.

To play where? He has only played 1B in Memphis for what, a week?

Are Jason Heyward’s issues more than just dehydration? Who will be the next dumpee off the roster? Is there such a thing as too many outfielders? Will Pete Kozma ever hit the Mendoza Line?

Stay tuned for another thrilling episode of “As The Roster Churns”

For a few days, the Cardinals will have the DL in the AL city.

I wrote about the Piscotty move (and others) for TCN members here.

Still have to dump someone off the 40 man.

Don’t mess with my melodrama. 🙂

Ah yes, the malodorous reminiscence of a certain columnist who I haven’t missed since I blocked him on Twitter.

Seriously, though, all of this roster movement has brought on a case of vertigo. It’s like watching that pea under the shell game over and over. Where is the minor leaguer? Is he in St. Louis, no he’s back in Memphis, no now he’s back again, no he’s back in Memphis, no……………….

Was there this much rosterbation when TLR was the manager or am I misremembering?

It has been on my to-do list to look at transaction volume, but I don’t know if I will get to it.

I did happen to note that the Pirates had not lost a starting player all season until Mercer and Harrison were injured this week. The Cards have had a tough year with injuries, which creates a lot of the churn.

Yeah, I suppose that accounts for some of it. If you do look at transaction volume I would be interested to know if it was related to injuries as well. I just don’t remember so much Memphis revolving door with TLR, but maybe it was because I remember he was much more interested in grabbing old veterans somewhere than bringing up kids.

I am all for trying prospects vs. picking up other teams’ rejects.

Me too. It just seems like they should come up when they have a chance to stick and not be jerked around. Especially ones like Piscotty. Will he stay or go back down after two days in Chicago? And if he stays, who goes? Maybe the Piscotty at 1B should have been tried sooner? Like after Matt Adams went down? Why is Pham still around? Clearly Grichuk is the starting CFer, is Bourjos not good enough as a back up? It’s not like he is going to play a whole lot as a bench player.

Eh, maybe I am just punch drunk from the vertigo. 😉

I suspect Piscotty is thought of different from the other position players called up this season. I predict he will get regular playing time, whether LF, RF, DH or 1B. If he doesn’t perform in the next couple of weeks, it will increase the urgency to add a veteran 1B bat.

Yeah, whatever. I like Piscotty so it’s not like I don’t want him in St. Louis. It just seems crazy to add another outfielder to the mix, unless he is going to play 1B a lot more than the OF. If he doesn’t, then I think 6 OFers on the roster is just nuts.

It is just happenstance that he is another outfielder. Mo would have called him up whatever position he played. Of course, the longer he is here the more he will come to resemble the rest of the hitters. If we are lucky, he will do us some good for a month or so before Mabryosis sets in.

I am not sure if they teach the home to first mosey at Memphis or if it is learned upon arrival in St. Louis. Hopefully, we will see him run out a few before he gets the memo.

Anyway, he is the first of the three 3B draftee amigos to make it to the show. Good luck to him.

I think Piscotty up means the end of Ty Kelly on the 40-man roster and either a Bourjos trade or Pham send to AAA. Dan Johnson staying as LH bench bat.Thats my guess .

The mlb transactions page for the Cardinals says Tommy Pham has been optioned to Memphis.

Since we are facing two lefties in Chicago, it would be smart to call up somebody who can hit lefties. I don’t know who that might be, but it is not Piscotty.

We were humiliated to lose at Home to the Lousy mets, after commiting Martinez. Heads need to be sacrificed. It’s a good thing to make mo mad, so changes are made.
    Pham had a chance, but did not deliver. Back to the salt mines.
    We Cards fans, the real ones and u know who u are, have had enu of Super Pete.
    We need another pitcher after the 18 inning nightmare, so get rid of Johnson too.
    Bing up Garcia and puscotty and a pitcher.
    Thanks