FOX Sports Midwest release
On Memorial Day (Monday, May 25 at 2 p.m. CT), FOX Sports Midwest’s St. Louis Cardinals telecast will start with a one-hour Cardinals Live pregame show that will include features paying tribute to men and women who have served our country. The show will include:
• An interview with Cardinals pitcher Mitch Harris, the first graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy to play in the majors since the 1920’s.
• “Warriors Among Us” vignettes, including one featuring St. Louisan 1st. Lt. Daniel P. Riordan.
- After graduating from college he became a tank commander in the Army. He was known for expressing his love of the Cardinals by placing a 2006 World Series bumper sticker on his tank.
- In 2007, while serving his country during Operation Iraqi Freedom, Lt. Riordan’s life was cut short by an IED blast.
- The vignette on Lt. Riordan is at 2:40 of the following video.
• A 12-minute feature called “A Soldier’s Story” on Major Stephen Reich, which will air on FOX Sports networks across the country including FOX Sports Midwest.
- Major Reich served four tours of duty in Afghanistan and was killed in action on June 28, 2005, during a mission to rescue a four-man Navy SEAL team as depicted in the book and movie ‘Lone Survivor.’ Major Reich was one of 16 troops aboard the helicopter attempting to rescue their Navy Seal brothers when it was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade, killing all on board.
- Reich was a star pitcher for the United States Military Academy at West Point. His promising professional baseball career lasted only two games for a Baltimore Orioles farm team before the Army summoned him back to active duty.
Latest posts by Brian Walton (see all)
- Talking Cardinals Prospects on KFNS - April 20, 2017
- Talking Cardinals Baseball with Ken Miller – April 17 - April 18, 2017
- Revisiting the WBC and Cardinals Spring Attendance - April 12, 2017