Talking Young St. Louis Cardinals Pitchers on WGEM

On Wednesday morning, I joined Josh Houchins on WGEM ESPN 1440 Radio. The primary subject was rise of some of the St. Louis Cardinals’ young pitchers and the club’s dependence on them. We also discussed the status of Jaime Garcia, working back from injury in Memphis along with Marco Gonzales, and who might be the next pitching recalls from Triple-A.

Josh is the host of WGEM SportsCenter, the only sports talk show in the Quincy, Illinois area, on-air from 7:00–9:00 A.M. every weekday morning. You can learn more at wgem.com and follow Josh (@JWHooch) and the show on Twitter at @wgemesc.

Sister station WGEM 105.1 FM continues to be a member of the Cardinals radio network. If you live in the Tri-State area, make sure you tune in to game action all season long.

Brian Walton

Brian Walton runs The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation Blog, covering the St. Louis Cardinals and minor league system.

27 Responses to “Talking Young St. Louis Cardinals Pitchers on WGEM”

Glad to see Heyward batting 8th. He has earned it.

Marco Gonzalez may be a useful ML pitcher someday, but 2015 is unlikely. Marco needs to focus on becoming a AAA pitcher during 2015.
    For this year, Tyler Lyons is gonna be an important guy. He is an established AAA vet, who may be our foremost candidate to pitch effectively in the majors.

Garcia looked a lot better after getting demoted. Maybe he and Marco could trade places.

I noticed Rafael Furcal’s name in the box score for Arkansas. Playing 2B.

bb, do you really believe it was a demotion or are you just in trolling mode this morning?

Jumbo, there are 4 1/2 months left in the season. A lot can happen still, including Gonzales getting back to where he was this spring.

Yikes, I place little trust in spring training statistics. Wainwright spent two seasons at Memphis, then relieved during his rookie campaign. Marco needs to spend 2015 getting accustomed to AAA. I am not going to drink Marco koolaid for 2015. Nor do I have a lot of faith in Martinez in 2015; he has a lot to learn and his endurance as a starting pitcher is unknown.

Perhaps you missed 2014, when Gonzales made eight Triple-A starts, with a 39/9 K/BB ratio in 45 2/3 innings to go with a 3.35 ERA. Those games counted. Chances are that his current problems are health-related.

What Wainwright did is irrelevant. I could just as easily quote Wacha’s fast path, but so what? Every player is different.

I forgot how important it was not to bump Boone Whiting.

Drama queens and crybabies. There really should be a country song about that. Maybe there is.

Garcia wasn’t demoted. He pitched in Springfield instead of Memphis because Memphis was on the road and Springfield was at home.

Eh, never mind. Springfield was in NW Arkansas. Same difference. Memphis was in Colorado Springs, so the travel was much less to pitch for Springfield.

Not unless the Springfield club plays home games at the Naturals park in Arkansas.

Didn’t see your post. I’m sure the flight to Podunk, Ark is easier than to Colorado Springs. 🙂

Like I said, same difference. Springdale is a 2 hour car ride from Springfield. The point is, the change had to do with location, it wasn’t a demotion.

That is an assumption which i do not make without evidence.

I do not assume he was in Springfield, either. It seems like he would have either still been in Memphis, or else back in Florida. Why go to Springfield just to ride a bus to Rogers? It is easier to just fly to Colorado Springs from Memphis or West Palm Beach.

IMO, the ease of travel rationalization goes the way of the at home one.

Damn spring rain. Late starts and delays for the minors tonight. I am going to be up late to write recaps. Need my beauty sleep. I had a bad day yesterday, misbehaving kids at school, a power outage at home last night that took 8 hours to fix and my cable went out this morning. I did get to watch the game, but the damn thing took all afternoon, and they lost and I was forced to listen to drama queens and crybabies over it (don’t ask). The internet is a freaking cesspool. I am half way to rooting for the Cubs just to piss some people off (not really, but some folks need to grow the hell up).

Get off my lawn America.

So apparently there is a Twitter account trolling Cardinals fans with pictures of Oscar Taveras’ dead body. I haven’t seen it myself (thank God) but some other people on Twitter have and are talking about it.

Did I say the internet was a cesspool? I think I was underselling it.

Garcia looks ready enough to enter the rotation. We will see how many starts are in his arm.

Cooney had a fine AAA start. He may get another shot at the majors before 2015.

Mike used Rosenthal in a non save situation. Very ill advised

last year, Bernie called Mike “undisciplined.” An insightful characterization. If it’s not a save situation, a disciplined manager will not use Rosenthal in a tie game. Save the saver for likely wins.

The lineups for the Brewers vs Mets game today has both teams hitting the pitcher 8th. I don’t imagine that happens very often. I see the Cubs have their pitcher batting 8th as well. Uncle Tony would be pleased. That new guy in Arizona better get on board or he can go fishin with Kirk.