Former Cardinal Faszholz Named Concordia Hall of Famer

If you are like me, you may not be very familiar with the name Jack Faszholz. In fact, my only recollection of him was as a part of my 2011 exercise to determine the highest Scrabble-scoring names in St. Louis Cardinals team history.

A Cardinal long before my time, the now 87-year-old native of St. Louis reached the majors very briefly in the 1953 season. The right-hander pitched in four games, allowing runs in each one. “Preacher” was soon returned to Triple-A, where he played for three more seasons before hanging up his cleats at age 29.

Having pitched for Rochester for seven consecutive seasons in the 1950’s, Faszholz won 80 games for the Red Wings and was named to their team Hall of Fame in 1990. However, Faszholz’ main claim to fame occurred after his playing career ended, culminating in him recently being named to the Concordia University Texas Hall of Fame.

Ordained as a minister in 1958, Faszholz spent his entire post-playing career in education and coaching. After teaching in the St. Louis area, he moved to Concordia. There, Faszholz held a number of roles, including a highly-successful stint as the school’s baseball coach. In 12 seasons, from 1979-90, Faszholz led the Stags to 235 victories, with the program winning 20 or more games in six of those seasons.

Reaching the majors had to be an exciting time for Faszholz, but imagining how many lives he must have enhanced in teaching and coaching afterward probably became far more rewarding.

Brian Walton

Brian Walton runs The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation Blog, covering the St. Louis Cardinals and minor league system.

10 Responses to “Former Cardinal Faszholz Named Concordia Hall of Famer”

I guess Jaime made it through the first day of ST. Since this surgery was his idea, I assume he will be reluctant to report any trouble that might crop up. Perhaps he will make every effort to play through, or become accustomed to, any discomforts that he faces from his injuries. Perhaps playing for a contract will also motivate him to adapt to his surgically repaired body.

Since nobody is counting on him, it would sure be a bonanza if he is effective and healthy all year. Not that he could be expected to go 200 innings after a couple years on the shelf. (Hopefully that has/will be pointed out to Mad Mike)

I wonder how important “playing for a contract” really is anymore. A broken Masterson got $9.5 million based on what he was, rather than what he is.

P.S. I had expected a story about how you used to mow Faszholz’ lawn or something! 😉

Sounds like he was long gone from St. Louis by the time I was mowing lawns. But, given the years he was in the system, playing for Harry Walker and along side some of the guys that came up through there, and that he was a native St. Louisan, I am surprised I can’t remember ever hearing his name or anything.

I’ve read somewhere in the past that Garcia hasn’t shown much willingness to play through discomfort. So I wanted to suggest reasons why that might be different this year.

I wonder how much Masterson would have gotten if he had done well last year.

On other forums it is being suggested that if Garcia pitches well and is healthy, Martinez should be sent down to Memphis to be a starter rather than put back into the bullpen. I am inclined to agree with this, but part of me would rather have Martinez in the rotation over Garcia. Not practical I know, given Garcia’s contract. I just think Martinez needs this chance once and for all. He got jerked around last season in favor of Joe Kelly, which I think was a mistake.

Sounds like Garcia did some furious backpeddling on his “I’m starter” thing from the other day. Now he’d be happy with any role, just wants to make the team.

Wainy made clear that he is not going to miss starts during the regular season. That means Mad Mike will have to diplomatically limit innings another way. We’ll see how that goes.

Heyward will start out as a middle of the order guy. His precipitous ISO decline since 2012 (,210, ,173, .113) having been due to changing his approach to lead off. Let’s hope so.

I did not see the initial quote in context, but what I heard did not bother me in the least. He is coming to camp in the mindset of a starter. That is all he knows how to do. That is what he is being paid to do. He is going for it. Good for him. If he doesn’t make it, then deal with it then.

Another honored at the Concordia Hall of Fame is 12 year MLB pitcher Scott Linebrink, who gave the school a gift of $300K toward a new baseball field. After a year at Concordia, a Division III school located in Austin, Linebrink moved to Texas State, whence he was drafted.

Concordia’s web site calls Linebrink its first ML player. That honor actually seems to belong to Mr. Faszholz! Congratulations to the St Louis native for his years of teaching and teaching baseball too.