Written by Jonathan Mayo, the piece offers two views of the best tools among players in the AFL this season in a dozen categories. The primary orientation is Mayo’s, augmented by his discussions with scouts. The other perspective is offered by 50 of the league’s players themselves – those who responded to a survey.
Three of the eight Cardinals participating in the prospect showcase were mentioned. While I encourage you to read the entire article, here is a summary extraction as related to the Cards.
- C.J. McElroy was given an 80 grade in speed on the 20-80 scouting scale.
- Sam Tuivailala’s fastball was assigned an 80 grade by scouts. The reliever was also one of three mentioned in the player vote for best fastball.
- Tyrell Jenkins’ slider was among those pitches that drew mention from scouts for the best breaking ball.
For More: Make sure you are following TheCardinalNation.com over the upcoming days for interviews with all eight Cardinals who are competing in the 2014 AFL as well as a general overview from pitching coach Jason Simontacchi. The latter is already posted for members as is my interview with Jenkins.
The Cardinals and their Peoria Javelinas squad will represent the West Division in Saturday’s AFL Championship Game from Salt River. The contest will be telecast live at 2 p.m. CT on MLB Network and streamed by MLB.com.
Latest posts by Brian Walton (see all)
- Talking Cardinals Prospects on KFNS - April 20, 2017
- Talking Cardinals Baseball with Ken Miller – April 17 - April 18, 2017
- Revisiting the WBC and Cardinals Spring Attendance - April 12, 2017