Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Remembering Oscar

Oscar Taveras-focused chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

In a special edition on Monday, I joined FOX Sports Midwest host Pat Parris with Ken Miller on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

Pat and I looked back at the all-too-short career of St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras, who passed away due to injuries suffered in an automobile crash on Sunday. We discussed Taveras’ background, his time in the minor leagues, the impact of his brief time with St. Louis as well as wondering what might have been.

Once again in 2014, Cardinals followers in central Iowa were able to catch St. Louis Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my regular segment each week throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. Or, if you miss it live, you can always catch the replay right here at The Cardinal Nation blog.

Click here for audio: Pat Parris and Brian Walton with Ken Miller (10:05)

Brian Walton

Brian Walton runs The Cardinal Nation and The Cardinal Nation Blog, covering the St. Louis Cardinals and minor league system.

9 Responses to “Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Remembering Oscar”

One of the things I most dislike about the off season is putting up with the trade proposals, it has already become tedious. Now we are already seeing trade proposals meant to address the right field situation and I am sure it will be non-stop.

My initial gut feeling is that Mo will do nothing at all. Admittedly, I haven’t given it much thought yet. If he does bring someone in, I would not want to be that guy. I would not object if the decision was to go with what we’ve got.

RIP OT18

Aside. A little baseball story. I was over visiting my dad earlier and he told me a former player we knew had passed. His name was Jeff Robinson, pitcher for the Tigers. Dad had looked around and found an old picture of he and I an Jeff having dinner when we had been traveling through Birmingham where Jeff was playing for the Tigers AA team sometime in the mid 80s. I do not remember it at all. I asked who the other man in the picture was, and after some thought dad said that’s Jeff’s manager Mark DeJohn. Looking closer, yes it was. I would have sworn I’d never met him. Must have been shortly before he joined the Cards org.

That is bizarre. Literally this very morning, I was talking with DeJohn – about his past managerial history. It came up as we were discussing the open bench coach situation. (Not in the context of him personally.) It is really strange to see this story tonight. Too bad he can’t see the photo. I bet he would get a kick out of it.

I am having anger issues with Matheny and Mo over their public flogging of Oscar. That kind of stuff should not have been aired in public. It was mean and unnecessary.

I just had to get that out there.

Mo and Mike made themselves look dopey and that’s their problem.
      In their defense, they were trying to make Oscar into a better player for the long term. It was tough love.
      I did not like it, because benching Oscar against mediocre Giant RHPs seemed unwise and proved so.
      Mike seem relentlessly determined to put Travis Ishikawa in a position to succeed and Travis did.

I had Oscar grief issues, but the wonderful turnout at the funeral in the Dominican was helpful. Oscar lived and died for his community. They loved him and that gives me some comfort. At age 5, he labelled himself El Phenomeno and grew into his dream. Not many can say this.

• Bw52 says:

I have anger issues with the fact OT drove reckless and ended 2 lives way too early.That ticks me off.Probably a totally preventable accident.

Oscar did not drive the bus for baseball teams. He may have been an inexperienced driver. Those angry at him can take weird satisfaction that his penalty for poor driving was capital.

Management did what they did to get a point across to OT.Since other methods apparently did not get the point across that baseball requires more than just swinging a bat the Cards did what they did.Unfortunately we will never know if it would have worked.A HOF football player was asked what made him and other HOF members great players and he said everyone likes working on things they enjoy but a great player makes himself work on things he doesn`t like or isn`t very good at.
    Could be in the eyes of management OT needed a public nudge in the right direction.