Tuesday Marks FOX Sports Midwest’s Annual “This One’s for You”

Fox Sports Midwest release

What:   This One’s For You is FOX Sports Midwest’s annual Cardinals telecast to local troops deployed overseas. It connects the soldiers with Cardinals Nation and their families watching from Busch Stadium and at home.

Who:    220th Engineer Company of the Missouri National Guard
Families of the 220th
Cardinals Nation

Where:  On FOX Sports Midwest | At Busch Stadium | At Kandahar Air Field, Afghanistan

When:  Tuesday, Aug. 19 during the telecast of the Cardinals home game vs. Cincinnati. Pregame coverage starts at 6:30 p.m. CT. The game starts at 7 p.m. in St. Louis and 4:30 a.m. in Kandahar.

Details: The telecast of the Cardinals home game vs. Cincinnati on Tuesday, Aug. 19 will be shown to troops overseas via American Forces Network (AFN). FOX Sports Midwest will interact, via satellite, with members of the 220th Engineer Company of the Missouri National Guard watching in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

The Festus-based 220th is deployed to support Operation Enduring Freedom. More than 150 soldiers have deployed with the unit to southwest Asia, conducting deconstruction operations in Afghanistan.  Another company deployed from western Missouri, the 276th Engineer Company of Pierce City is expected to join them to watch the game.

More than 1,000 family members and friends of the 220th will attend the game at Busch Stadium, and some of those individuals will be shown and interviewed on FOX Sports Midwest. Most will wear white t-shirts and bring signs to support their loved ones.

Cardinals fans are encouraged to participate by Tweeting greetings with the hashtag #ThisOnesForYou, some of which will be shown on TV.

This is FOX Sports Midwest’s 10th year producing a This One’s For You telecast (the first came in 2005). It’s produced in coordination with FOX Sports Supports, a nationwide effort which supports our military. It is made possible through the assistance of the Cardinals, the Missouri National Guard, American Forces Network and the Army DVIDS unit.

14 Responses to “Tuesday Marks FOX Sports Midwest’s Annual “This One’s for You””

Much as I would like to see Willie down in the first base coaching box, a backup plan would be Jon Hamm. Plan C would be a giant Hamm bobblehead.

I assume Hamm night was planned long ago, providing production time to the bobblehead manufacturing sector. It turned out to be good timing, bringing together Hamm and Ted Simmons, to comment about life near Normandy, MO.

Too bad Simmons was not inducted into the Cardinals Hall of Fame last weekend instead of McGee. The fan voters missed the boat this year. I hope it won’t happen again, but fear too many younger folks are unaware of how good Simmons was.

Simmons is a cinch for a future year.
        He sported long-hair, smoked, and demanded a higher salary from the Buschs. Now he recalls Bob Gibson being unable to get accommodation in Clayton.
        Mo should look into getting Simmons back into the fold.

• kray66 says:

I voted for Simmons and McGee. Edmonds was a big deal for many years as I became a bigger fan of baseball and the Cardinals, but I had heard so much about Simmons that he had my vote. I don’t think most fans in my age bracket have really heard much about him though, sadly.

Is he still with Seattle in some capacity?

Last I knew, he was still an adviser for Seattle. I think he still lives in the area as I chatted with him briefly in the Busch pressbox last summer.

• Bw52 says:

Simmons should get in next year.Too bad the MLB HOF keeps passing Simba by.I wonder if Whitey supported Simmons this past HOF try.Trading Simmons was one of Whitey`s biggest mistakes IMHO.David Green and Sixto Lezcano…….blah.I appreciated the 1982 WS win a lot but I feel Cards could have won with Simmons behind the plate instead of Porter.Porter never was impressive as a Card.

I agree. I hated that trade from the day it was announced. Same with Hernandez. Part of the reason I was not as strong on Whitey’s retired number as many others. The Cards team HoF is great, but is about 20 years late.

As much as I would like to see Simmons in Coopertown, it would be a real shame if he made the National Baseball Hall of Fame before making his own team HoF. This year, Simmons was snubbed by Cardinals fans in favor of a guy who did not even receive five percent on his first and only time on the Cooperstown ballot.

I don’t think we can count on Simmons being in the top two to get in next year, either. In the interim fan voting this year, Forsch was ahead of him and Big Mac is among those still on the ballot.

• Bw52 says:

Brian I always felt Whitey forced Simmons hand with the signinmg of Porter.If I remember after Porter was signed there was talk about Simmons playing 1B and Keith Hernandez playing LF.I figured Simmons could play LF (Luzinski did it) and keep Herenandez great glove at 1B.IIRC Simmons said he didn`t feel real comfortable in LF.He could play 1B adequately but Cards had KHernandez at 1B.I wish Whitey had tried to talk to Simmons and convince to give LF a real shot.Of course Cards still had traded Fingers to Brewers with Pete Vukovich could the Cards have gotten dave LaPoint and Sorenson.Without both Simmons and Fingers probably no Lezcano and Green.No big loss IMHO.About the only thing David Green did really worthwhile was be in the trade for Jack Clark.

Good points. Just as Matheny is getting heat about promoting and playing “his guys,” it is pretty clear that he would not be the first manager to play favorites.

• Bw52 says:

checking back and looking back at the moves made in 1980-81-82.Its easy to see how a trade in winter 1980 had a large effect on one made in early 1982.If Cards had kept Simmons and put him in LF to keep his bat and had a defensive caddy (terry Landrum for example) and Simmons offense stayed close to his earlier production 18-20 HRs 80-90 RBIs Cards would have had a offense with Hernandez,Simmons,Hendrickat 3-4-5.If Simmons produced and Whitey used a defensive caddy then the Cards would have had a rookie CF in 1981 (maybe Landrum with Gene Roof playing caddy in LF.But if Simmons produced and did adequate in LF then Whitey would Whitey then used Sorensen and Lezcano to get Lonnie Smith c? Plus in winter 1981 Whitey got Willie McGee for Bob Sykes.Since McGee was young and fast could he have started in CF or would Terry Landrum start in CF?If Whitey had traded for both McGee and Lonnie Smith would Ted Simmons been satisfied with getting time at 1B rarely,C rarely LF rarely,bench bat? Simmons would be making too much cash to be a Backup and PH.Mr Busch would not have okayed that in my opinion.

Or just don’t bring in Porter in the first place.

Whitey did play favorites. But Whitey was a smart manager and a decent tactician. Matheny is neither of those things, which makes the favoritism even more egregious.

Willie McGee got in on sheer popularity numbers, not talent. He was the least talented of the nominees, imo.

I voted for Edmonds and Simmons. I will vote for Simmons next year, and every year thereafter if necessary, until he gets in. He should be in now instead of McGee.

Would have liked to see Matheny send Masterson right back out to the mound to pitch the 6th. So he got wild in the 5th, so what? He’s a big lug and a reason we traded for him was to eat innings and take pressure off the pen.

Its strange to hear Mike be asked about whether he could alternate Neshek and Rosenthal. Basic questions that he has been unable to ask of himself. Good for him to be exposed to questions from a questioning press corps.

Greenwood only had to contribute 5 pitches. Descalso drove in a run with a pinch hit. Peralta delivered. Its good to see more folks contributing. If Wong and Taveras can find more ways to contribute, the lineup should be able to eke out enough runs.