Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: After the Trades

Weekly St. Louis Cardinals-focused chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

As is the case each Friday prior to the St. Louis Cardinals pregame show, I joined Jim Brinson on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in our weekly series to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals. Ken Miller was away.

We discussed the flurry of trade activity across MLB and specifically the impact of the St. Louis Cardinals’ deals for Justin Masterson and John Lackey as well as the loss of Joe Kelly and Allen Craig.

Once again in 2014, Cardinals followers in central Iowa are able to catch St. Louis Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my regular segment each week throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. Or, if you miss it live, you can always catch the replay right here at The Cardinal Nation blog.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Jim Brinson (7:49)

25 Responses to “Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: After the Trades”

Who will lead the team in HRs?
    The candidates are Jhonny (14); Adams (12); and Holliday (11).

2. CariocaCardinal says:

I get the Lackey trade as it helps us or next year as well – but where is the offensive help?

It must have been hell to go through life with the name Lackey.

It wasn`t pretty but it was a win.More offense tonite.Taveras producing more.Allen Craig rode the pine today while BoSox lost.Masterson was rusty but hung in there.Cruz couple of hits but I think he has allowed as many steals in his 3 weeks as Yadi had all season.It`s not all on the Catcher but he has caught 3 of 20 runners trying to steal.ill doulble check that number to be sure.

The Masterson deal reminds me of the July 2009 deal for Matt Holliday. We gave up 3 high picks (Wallace, Mortenson, Peterson) for a guy headed into free agency. Nowadays, if he signs elsewhere, you can’t get a comp pick for his loss, so the Cards only had to surrender one prospect, versus 3.

I don’t see much similarity beyond the superficial same time of year and free agent-to-be for prospect. The specifics seem very different to me.

If I was to look for a recent comp, I might select Axford for Blazek from last season or Mujica for Cox the year prior.

I still like the Holliday comparison. He was going into free agency and landed a long-term deal from the Cards circa December 2009. Holliday worked out with Schumaker and was represented by ex-farm-hand Scott Boras, so a pretty reliable gamble to re-sign.
          The Scott Rolen deal was similar too, where we bought Rolen out of free agency circa September long term deal.
          Masterson is the right age and experience to command a sizable multi-year deal this winter, much higher stakes than with Axford or Mujiica. By picking Masterson up now, we get to know him for a couple of months and find out if there could be a match.

• Bw52 says:

A lot depends on how Masterson does in STlouis,his price,his health and how confident the Cards are that Wacha can stay healthy,Miller can regain his form and stay consistent.Remember Lynn goes to arbitration also.You still have Carlos Martinez,Tyler Lyons,Lackey and Marco Gonzales,Cooney,Petrick in the mix.Still if a reasonable deal could be worked out then why not?This season has shown that you really don`t have too much pitching.
            Wainwright
            Lackey
            Lynn
            Miller
            Wacha
            Lyons
            Gonzales
            C.Martinez
            then the guys at AAA
            Cooney
            Gast
            Petrick

That’s without Jaime Garcia and Masterson.

Now if Mo can find a RH hitter who can play 1B-3B to spell Adams and Carpenter.

For 2015, we have Wainwright, Lackey, Lynn, and Miller. Four if healthy.
              Jaime Garcia is under contract, but a big question mark. Wacha was brilliant and we hope he can bounce back. Martinez can replace Neshek as an 8th inning specialist.
              Lyons, Gast, Cooney, and Petrick will be helpful for the Memphis rotation, headlined by Gonzales.
              Masterson is a candidate to get three to five years at $12-15MM/yr.

Gonzales can headline the 2015 rotation in Memphis, with Cooney, Petrick, Lyons, and Gast.
              Carlos Martinez can relieve in St Louis. Neshek and Motte will probably leave, so there will be slots open.
              Garcia is under contract, but a huge question mark.
              This would leave Wainwright, Lynn, Lackey, Miller, and Wacha for the rotation, if all are healthy.
              Masterson is probably going to command 3 to 5 years at $12-15MM/yr, as a free agent. If he pitches well for St Louis during August-October, we may try to retain him.

I’d be surprised if the Cards pay that kind of money for Masterson – unless he returns to last year’s form in a hurry.

Actually, if Masterson excels, he might lift his price tag too much. Its a tricky balancing act. We want him to pitch just barely well enough for us to win a 12th Series, but not well enough to sky rocket his salary. He nailed this delicate balance just right in his win over the Brewers.

Adams has just 11 walks on the season. If he could lay off more overly low pitches, he could collect more walks plus make pitchers throw it higher, enabling him to drive the ball and become a 900 OPS hitter.

The 2013 stretch drive is going to rely on Wong, Adams, Oscar, and the catching tandem.

Certainly those guys are important for the 2014 stretch, but Holliday already has six homers since the break compared to just six for the entire season prior. Also, I do not expect the catching situation to be a tandem. A.J. should be in there most days.

Holliday, Peralta, and Carpenter are going to get some hits. They are steady and their production is not surprising. Today, Adams has gotten on three times, Pierzynski drove in the tying run, Taveras a go ahead run. The support cast is going to make the difference, because the steady guys cant do it all by themselves.

6. kray66 says:

After reading Bernie Miklasz’s column from yesterday, I think we all now know why Craig was getting so much playing time – Matheny and the team have some personal issue with Taveras. It does seem that the team needed pitching help, but it also looks like moving Craig WAS to send a message to Matheny.

It’s sad to hear that’s what was going on. I understand young players sometimes have some flair that offends veterans (i.e. Puig) or a lack of work ethic, but it would be nice if there was veteran leadership that could have stepped up and helped him transition to the majors if he was/is having issues.

Bernie’s column was based on comments made by Joe Buck during Saturday’s broadcast of the Red Sox/Yankees game on MLB Network. I was watching the game live at my brother’s house (I don’t have MLB Network at home) so I heard the comments myself. It was rather jarring to hear him say that stuff, especially the comment about “force-feeding” Taveras. My immediate thought was to wonder where he was getting that from. Of course he didn’t name a specific source, just a general reference to the “clubhouse”. That could mean anyone, from the manager to the towel guy (if there is such a person).

I don’t know that Bernie has independent knowledge of such grumblings, if he did I would think he would have said so in the column.

I’m not saying it wasn’t said, I believe it was said by someone to Joe Buck, but who said it would make a huge difference in the perspective. If it was the manager, a coach, or a player, that would be a lot more worrisome to me than if it was just the random interpretation of general grumblings by a clubhouse staff member.

To me, if there is (was) bad feeling toward Taveras, that is pretty unprofessional by itself in my book. Winning games should be the goal; making friends should be secondary. Let the coaches worry about Taveras’ general conduct, that’s their job.

• kray66 says:

That is definitely worth noting that the source is unknown. I lend some credibility to it considering the mystery that surrounded the whole Taveras/Craig saga including Matheny’s comments at times (i.e. “We’re not here to develop players.”) But who knows.

The assumption of many is that players are responsible for the unattributed remarks, but even if so, is it the younger players or the veterans who should be leading?

If the manager or his coaches are the source, they would seem to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution. By far, that would be my biggest concern if true.

We will likely never know, though we may get signals in the upcoming weeks, on and off the field.

I try not to assume anything (because it generally has gotten me in trouble). It could be a player, I have no doubt that Craig and Kelly were well liked and had close friends in the clubhouse. It would be disturbing to learn that a player would be that careless, I would think they were taught better. If it was the manager or a coach, though, I would agree that would be much worse.

As you said we are unlikely to find out who the specific source was. I would imagine if it concerned Mozeliak at all, he would find out who it was, and there would be some consequences. That is why I find if difficult to believe the manager, coaches or a player would be so careless, unless he has some reason to believe his days as a Cardinal are numbered anyway. Even then, what would be the point? It’s not like saying it would change anything. It seems like the risk/reward would not be in his favor.

It will probably all blow over eventually. I seriously doubt the Cardinals would allow this to grow anymore in the public eye.

• kray66 says:

I hope this blows over and the supposed “wrong” is righted somehow. Perhaps limited playing time led to a bad attitude, which lead to limited playing time and the circle just kept going. Or perhaps someone will take him under their wing and help him adjust to the “Cardinal way.”

OT seems to have responded to the trade, so hopefully he keeps it up. A prospect playing to his potential would heal a lot of wounds, if they exist.

I do have a suspect though if it was a player that leaked the info. Not that I have any inside knowledge whatsoever and as such don’t want to name any names, but someone came to mind.

Right now the story is limited to the Bernie column and internet chatter. Bernie can get away with writing about it without concrete facts, because he is a columnist and not a beat reporter. You won’t see Goold or Hummel writing about it unless they get something concrete, like a quote from Mozeliak or Matheny. Maybe someone will ask about it. If not, the story will blow over in time without anything more substantial to back it up. If I was Mozeliak, that is what I would hope for.

Fortunately, St. Louis is not like Boston or New York, where stuff like this takes on a life of its own. The Boston “fried chicken and beer in the clubhouse” scandal is one example. What goes on in St. Louis is not of as much interest in the national arena. Except for Deadspin of course, but that is a rag anyway.

If Oscar continues to hit and the team wins that should override more menial concerns.

When it comes to Cards prospects, left swinging OFs draw attention. Maybe it is the Musial heritage. Or Brock.
    In the 1980s, the homegrown hot shot was CF Andy Van Slyke.
    Around the turn of the Millenium, Florida State’s J. D. Drew was awaited eagerly. TLR soured on J D’s ouchies, but J D laughed all the way to the bank. JD also produced Adam Wainwright via trade, a massive contribution.
    Colby Rasmus tied Bo Jackson’s home run record in Alabama. To this day, Colby is an underperformer, 6th year in the majors, averaging .215. Lots of hope, then bleh.
    In 2009, Luhnow wanted to shell out $3.1MM on Dominican muscle man, Wagner Mateo, soon discovered to be visually impaired. Wagner got released recently by the Diamondbacks.
    Now its the era of Oscar. May it end more happily.
    And down in the GCL, Sierra aspires to be next in line.