Brewers, Lucroy Draw All-Star Attention Any Way Possible

Heading into the second half of June, the surprising Milwaukee Brewers are still leading the National League Central Division. Whether they remain there the rest of way is debatable, but it seems clear the club’s marketing department is getting creative in their attempts to draw attention to the Brewers’ all-star candidates.

Last week, they released a video featuring centerfielder Carlos Gomez encouraging voters to cast their ballots in favor of a real centerfielder – him.

This time around, the video subject is building the all-star case for catcher Jonathan Lucroy while trying to take down St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina in the process. Oddly, the only point made in support of Lucroy’s abilities and candidacy is that he is not Molina.

That is for sure.

The Cardinals’ five-time all-star is considered by most to be both the best backstop in the National League and in Major League Baseball for a very good reason.

It will take far more than a marketing video to alter that reality.

46 Responses to “Brewers, Lucroy Draw All-Star Attention Any Way Possible”

1. kray66 says:

Wow. I get that they’re trying to be humorous by being over-the-top, but it just looks pathetic. Is he even the third or fourth best catcher in the National League?

Ofensive anemia trikes again.olliday clutch GIDP again.Pitiflboffense soiself again.Coln ymiesards mini-bats .Disgusting .

Remember to drink Ensure and Geritol, Bw, and from the typing, maybe you better do that cataract operation too.
      We want to make sure Marshmellow fan is able to bear witness to the whole 2014 season, given its lofty promise.

Pitiful offense strikes again.CY Colon stymies Cards min-bats again.Damn keyboard .

Where you been the last five days? ;-)

Several things to count on;
    1.Jumbo and his rosy outlook.
    2.Holliday will GIDP in a cutch situation.
    3.Cards lose a perfectly winnable game.

MF, I used to hate it when the Cards lost, but your anger is wonderful tonic.

I love slapstick comedy. It makes me laugh, to think of you becoming so enraged, the bottle of Geritol is knocked over, dentures pop out, and you type typos, while trying to see the keyboard, thru bitter tears.

Your misery and fury become my silver lining. Now you have me praying we get swept at home by the Phils. No more rosy outlook for Jumbo. Just laugh at your mean spirit.

by the way Jumbo
    I don` get enraged when the Cards lose.It`s more like disgust.Too many winnable games tossed away due to lousy hitting,poor decisions by the manager and poor pitchng.A terrible bench and some simple bad luck.I used to be a glass half-full type fan.This season has turned me into the half-empty glass fan.If that upsets some then just deal with it.

Even the best teams lose 60 games a year. It seems like you only focus on the losses. Some balance might be refreshing.

If you do not get enraged, then I may have to rethink my laughter.

I agree winnable games have gotten away this year. This is very frustrating, to be sure. A low scoring team is also very aggravating.

I do not agree the pitching has been poor. Its the second best in MLB.

The manager has made some poor decisions, but he can grow through time. He never had benefit of minor league managing experience, so is having to learn a bit on the job. He has good leadership qualities and is smart.

• Bw52 says:

It is very aggravating this season because it seems like if Crds fall behind by couple of runs it seems there is no chance or a comeback with the offensive woes.Then seeing the Cars actually get a lead then see the starter or the bullpen give it right back just frustrates even more.As for Matheny and some of his decisions and lineups and personel choices I won`t even go there tonite.

Mo has been frustrated by this season too. It will be interesting to see if the team can conjure up a useful trade this July. We have trading chips, but finding the right match can still be iffy.

Bourjos, Wong, Ellis, Craig and Holliday have been frustrating. Craig is not an everyday cleanup hitter.
          Holliday may heat up. They could bring Taveras back in while to claim some OF time. Descalso could get more playing time at 2B.
          I would send down Wong for more seasoning. Ditto Bourjos. Bring back Taveras at some point, to give a platoon partner for Craig.

The All Star game is a complete farce and Bud Selig has made it into an even bigger farce than it already was.

No wonder the ratings go down every year. Before too much longer, no one will watch it.

I haven’t voted for the All Star game in a couple of years and I don’t intend to start. Let the Brewers make what ever videos they want and say whatever they want. It is still a second rate organization with fans that are experts at making themselves look foolish.

I assume we will see Greenwood again Sunday. For some reason I am interested in watching a guy without a blazing fast ball work again. I also think it is interesting to see how MM uses Freeman and how Sam takes to the evolving role as a late inning guy.

Once we go back to 12 pitchers, who do we see? I’m guessing Robinson. Speaking of that, nothing says we will go back to 12 anytime soon.

Any thoughts on Motte’s performance so far?

As to the AS game, at least the manager picks is an interesting aspect. In a single game the quality of the pitching is most important anyway.

Check Robinson’s last 10 games. Not good at all. More strikeouts than hits and a .189 BA. Should fit right in. ;-)

Well, he wouldn’t get the call hoping to spark the offense anyway. Unless Mo is off his meds. I agree with those who think the Cards will want OT and Grichuk playing more regularly than they would here.

I think that if you took last year’s offense and got rid of the abnormally high BA/RISP you’d have this year’s offense. Despite the talent, it is just not really functional on a day in day out basis.

I agree with a comment on the main site that the answer is not in Memphis. The answer for this season, I mean. I hope Mo can withstand the agitation for a trade and ride it out. At this time next season at least one of OT/Grichuk/Piscotty will be contributing to the offense. I feel confident about that. I would think that there will be a better sense of what we have going forward in terms of pitching as well, and what may be excess.

One thing that annoys me a bit is that we are not going to get much of a look at our new high draft pick pitchers if

Another poor offensive game………………………as usual. Then just wait and see what happens when the pitchers wear out from trying to carry the team.It`s not going to be pretty.El Birdos el foldo unless Mo does something to wake this sleepwalking bunch up.

Not sure what the answer would be for this offense.

Here is one idea. Wong is wet behind the ears, emotional. He can collect at bats and grow up some more down in Memphis. His OPS is under 600, lousy.
        I would bring Descalso off the bench and put him into a platoon at 2B with Ellis. Descalso can OPS around 650, as we know already. He is an unflashy, determined player. Not going to picked off to end a World Series loss. Helped the team a lot during the 2012 playoffs. Descalso has been benched by the arrivals of Carpenter, a better hitter, and now Wong. I would go back to the steady guy. We are in grind it out mode, nothing comes easy. Descalso is a better fit. Wong needs to get out of the spotlight and work on maturing. The majors are no place to be trying to build confidence.

Only you would see replacing a .586 OPS guy with a .460 OPS guy as a fix.

I have a better idea. Bring back Wiggy. He would be just as effective as Descalso.

Descalso should be DFAed. He is a waste of a roster spot. Bring up Greg Garcia instead. Even Pete Kozma would be better than Descalso.

When Descalso gets regular play, his OPS is in the 625 to 685 range, shown during his first three years in the majors. His .460 only owes to the Cards handing Wong the starting role in hopes he was ready to handle it. How the distinction between regular versus occasional duty has eluded your keen notice is mystifying.

I now realize I should have been clearer. I meant GOOD ideas. Wong is a convenient scapegoat, but he is clearly the best of a struggling second base group.

Wong’s OPS is currently 126 points HIGHER than Descalso and 95 points HIGHER than Ellis.

If your goal is to play the most struggling players, platooning Descalso and Ellis would be your answer.

Your profound faith in minuscule n’s is interesting.

Wigginton plate appearances for 2013 Cardinals = 63.

As is known, Wiggy was Old and washed up.

But of course, Bw was his top fan.

Wiggy was cut by the Marlins. For Wiggy, its time to rock the rocker.

The Cards put Wong on the DL today. Maybe its the shoulder, maybe its the inexperience. Whatever the reason, I forecast his departure.

For all we know, maybe Mo watches this public web site for the latest tips from Jumbo. Mo knows Jumbo is uber loyal.

Wigginton’s OPS last season, .431. Descalso’s OPS this season, .460. Who other than Jumbo would want to see more of either one?

I was joking about Wiggy.

I don’t have any good ideas. I have hunches, but they are not worth typing and starting an argument about.

I know you were. We both quickly pointed out the massive holes in Jumbo’s idea.

I have good idea. Lets go with the same lineup we’ve been using, except sit the only guy who is hitting at all because he’s been struggling against lefties. Instead, replace him with somebody who has been struggling against lefties and righties. It worked against the Mets and Niese, it could work again. Of course, that strategy also involved sitting Carp and playing Descalso for some reason, but hey, he scored a couple.

Cards booming bats explode for FOUR runs today.Wainwright does the throwing to keep it close.Card w 4-1.
    Offense still poor.pitching carrying most of the load.Can`t last forever.