Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Scoring Woes Continue

Weekly St. Louis Cardinals-focused chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

In our normal late-Friday time slot, I joined Ken Miller and Jim Brinson on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in our weekly series to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals.

We discussed some of the potential factors in the Cardinals’ continued struggles scoring runs, especially during interleague play and touched briefly on the 2014 draft.

Once again in 2014, Cardinals followers in central Iowa are able to catch St. Louis Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my regular segment each week throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. Or, if you miss it live, you can always catch the replay right here at The Cardinal Nation blog.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Ken Miller and Jim Brinson (6:52)

17 Responses to “Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Scoring Woes Continue”

During the first 62 games, we have socked 36 HRs. Only the Royals have hit fewer and they just beat us 3 out of 4. Dismal times.

Good game by Cards.Beating Toronto 5-0.Nice job Shelby Miller.Who would have thought Cards hit a Homer and scored a week`s worth of runs in ONE game.

3. Lou Schuler says:

Brian, I just want to thank you for all the detailed information about the new draftees.

That video of our 20th-round pick getting tackled by the pitcher is awesome!

You are welcome. I am running on little sleep, but I am going to continue cranking through the draftee profiles until I am done. I continue to post them in blocks of five as soon as they are ready to go.

Leonda Markee found that video. She has been a tremendous help to me, locating background info so I can create profiles, load photos and write capsules. She is an unsung hero of the site.

I’ll second Lou’s appreciation for the info. Due to a heavy work schedule I have barely scratched the surface, but hope to catch up soon. Having it all right there due to the efforts of others will be a godsend.

The thing that jumps out is that the org is staying with what they have been successful with, namely pitchers. Let somebody else draft shortstops and third basemen.

I derailed myself for about 90 minutes last night breaking out the mix of draftees, comparing to last year, etc. The bad news is that it slowed me down with the individual player capsules. The good news is that I have the spreadsheets that will serve as the basis for Monday morning’s article.

Unfortunately, no time for new content here right now.

A thought about the big team, keeping in mind I have had precious little time to watch games lately. I have read and heard a lot of heat directed Matheny’s way. But yesterday, for example, we had nine hitters in the lineup and only three had an average over .250. And one of those was Cruz in the nine hole. That is not something anyone can manage around. We gat 9 walks and great pitching, so we won.

Grichuk’s HR won the game. He has considerable ability and can hit LHPs. That’s why Matheny put him batting second, to get as many looks at Buerhle as possible. While Grichuk was overpowered by KC’s southpaw Duffy, he solved Buerhle, one of the best. This could help his confidence, moving forward.
    Ellis is a good hitter too, though Mo should have given him a longer assignment at Memphis to get his batting eye. Grichuk and Ellis are useful assets against southpaws.

I am still in a state of shock that Cards won 5-0 2 times in a row and the fact that the Marshmallow man Garcia pitched a good game.

No Garcia, no WS win in 2011. He pitched with pain in 2012, because the Cards asked. Now he has endured elbow and shoulder operations, two Purple Hearts in the line of duty. Garcia is probably pitching in pain to this day. If there is one thing Garcia is not, its a marshmellow.

• Bw52 says:

To each his own Jumbo.Garcia`s blown too many leads for me to consider him a tough guy.He doesn`t get himself out of trouble enough and gives back a lead too often.