Cardinals Winter Warm-Up photos: Monday, 1/20/14

St. Louis Cardinals photos from Monday’s third and final session of the 2014 Winter Warm-Up at St. Louis’ Hyatt Regency at the Arch.

Included in row order below are Michael Wacha, Peter Bourjos, Mike Matheny, Sam Freeman, Matt Holliday and Bill DeWitt III.

The Cardinal Nation subscribers should check out on the main site where I loaded the audio comments from the above speakers. I did the same Saturday and Sunday as well.

Link to Saturday’s photos
Link to Sunday’s photos

18 Responses to “Cardinals Winter Warm-Up photos: Monday, 1/20/14”

Brian, I appreciate all the WWU coverage very much. I followed along all weekend around my work schedule. I was planning to go today but am tending a sick grandson instead. Figures.

As to Shelbygate, Who knows. Lets see if he pitches like a guy with a chip on his shoulder. Hope so.

This STEP program is just basically a moniker given to the past practice of a group of early invitees to minor league camp, who will be participating with the big leaguers since minor league camp will not have started up yet, correct? As a seperate group from the NRIs, but not much difference between the groups initially, correct? IIRC, the group sort of filters over to minor league camp once it starts, rather that staying in the ML clubhouse or having to be officially reassigned to minor league camp as is the case with NRIs.

Thanks. I really appreciate it. I try to do things a little differently than the others. To say the weekend is hectic is an understatement.

Yes, STEP is early minors camp. They have their own clubhouses and train separately from the big leaguers, same as the minor leaguers coming behind them. NRIs train and remain with the big leaguers and are indistinguishable from them until they are either cut or they make the team. The STEP kids (ooh, I may be onto something here) join the major leaguers only for games on the day(s) they are invited and meld into regular minors camp when it opens.

Hoping your grandson is better soon.

In general, I do not like checked shirts. Its interesting that a checked shirt looks better on a smiling Wacha, much less appealing on Descalso and Kozma. Wacha is so great, he makes even a checked shirt look passable.
    Big money guys like Holliday and Peralta do not indulge in checks. They take the high road.

Jumbo, you analyze things the rest of us miss. I do have one conclusion of my own from WWU. Wacha is a certified rock star – not in his attitude, which is very down to earth – but in how he is treated by fans.

I have discovered what is behind Shelbygate. Here it is.

My wife and daughter were analyzing the hair from the WWU photos. The conclusions, as near as I could tell, are as follows:

1) The last first round pick with really hideous looking hair was Colby, and he got traded, so Shelby should shave his head at once. Riding the pine in October was a warning !

2) TLR is probably doing some sort of comb-over type thing, as nothing else could explain it.

3) The Cards should have a hair HOF and Khalil Greene should be the sole inductee.

Bourjos has been out in la-la land and has learned the value of appearance, He has a nice haircut.

Matheny is in management and gets interviewed, so takes some care in his appearance too. It will be interesting to see how Chris Carpenter looks, after he joins the suits brigade. He often looked very scruffy on the mound; he will probably want to spruce up.
    I like the sleek look of Holliday and Freeman too. No come overs there.

You can tell it is the back half of January when MLB Trade Rumors has an article on our old friend Brett Tomko, around 41 years old. Look out MLB, Mulder and Tomko are on the comeback trail! Hope they get to pitch against the Cards!

Ryan Theriot retired. Not the best fielder at SS, but a gritty winner. Love that guy, but it was time to hang up the cleats.

Jason Marquis will be a great retirement. He has been so mediocre for so long, but made many millions anyway.
      I liked Jason as a hitter though. Something he was actually good at, unlike pitching.

I noticed in an article on the main site that former farm hand Kleininger Teran will be a hitting coach at the Roger Dean complex for the GCL team. IIRC he was an early product of the re-vamped international program. I think he’s been coaching, or doing something, in the org since he got his walking papers as a player. I guess the international program is producing coaches as well as players.

It is sometimes a little curious about the selection of minor league coaches. Teran was no minor league Mark McGwire; he enjoyed little success as a hitter, now he coaches hitters. This being so, even WestCoastBirdWatcher might be a plausible candidate to coach hitting, since he certainly has strong opinions about the art.

3 weeks until pitchers and catchers report. The end is near.