Talking Kolten Wong’s MLB debut on ESPN 1420 Honolulu

Special appearance to discuss new St. Louis Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong on ESPN 1420 Radio in Honolulu.

Following second baseman Kolten Wong’s major league debut with the St. Louis Cardinals on Friday afternoon, I joined hosts Chris Hart and Gary Dickson on the “Sports Animals” show on ESPN 1420 Radio in Honolulu.

The background about how the Hawaiian native reached the majors, a recap of his first game in the bigs offensively and defensively, how he may be used the rest of the way this season as well as what the future may bring for Wong were all topics of discussion.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Chris Hart and Gary Dickson (11:11)

9 Responses to “Talking Kolten Wong’s MLB debut on ESPN 1420 Honolulu”

1. Nutlaw says:

Solid interview!

So we rolled over the Cubs two games, good work.
    The rotation is nice with Wainwright, Lynn, Miller, and Kelly. Westbrook tries to do his best. The bullpen looks pretty good.
    Molina homered yesterday, Jay today. If somebody can chip in with a HR, it helps. Beltran and Freese are not clearing the fence very often. From hereon, things may hinge on scratching out runs. We have enough hitters, somebody should be able to deliver every now and then.

I thought I would troll for comments on three things:

1) I haven’t had a chance to see Wong yet, impressions?

2) Should the Pirates west Coast trip vs Padres and Giants tell whether The Collapse has indeed gotten under way?

3) Which NL Central division contender will gain the most advantage from roster expansion? This requires consideration not only of talent available to be brought up, but also of whether weaknesses can be strengthened and the effectiveness of the manager in using call ups to advantage.

1. Solid with glove, perhaps a little overanxious on offense. Not surprising in good or bad way.

2. I am more concerned about the six head-to-head games with them that start in about 10 days.

3. I have no idea. How would one even begin to guess about that? Too many variables. Overall, I don’t expect the expanded rosters to have a great impact on the races.

Realistically, there is no way to get Wong into the lineup without sitting Freese, which is what we have seen happen. Since David has long been one the core starters, I am wondering the effect on the clubhouse vibe. Will just have to see how it all plays out, but I see it as a major sub-plot right now.

I am hoping The Collapse is in full swing by the time we meet, which is why I am especially interested in their WC trip.

I expect to see Mike come up with some eyebrow raising head scratchers once he has some extra guys.

On #3, the Bucs could get back closer Jason Grilli plus starters Wandy Rodriguez and James McDonald from the DL at the start of Sept. If so, that could be a nice boost for them.

It seems the Reds may not get Cueto back this year. His recovery is slower than expected and he has not even been cleared to begin throwing yet. By the time he might be ready for a rehab assignment the minor league seasons will be done.

I can’t see where they have anything else that might help.

Maybe Rolen will un-retire.