Along with emergency starter Carlos Martinez being added to the St. Louis Cardinals roster on Thursday, the club is expected to promote a relief pitcher to help bolster a bullpen that has thrown a lot of innings recently.
The Triple-A Memphis Redbirds have five relievers currently on the 40-man roster – lefty Sam Freeman and right-handers Fernando Salas, Eric Fornataro, Jorge Rondon and Victor Marte. They would seem the most likely candidates. The non-roster relievers are lefty Nick Greenwood, a candidate to replace Martinez temporarily in Memphis’ rotation, and righty Deryk Hooker, fresh from Double-A Springfield.
Here are the full season stats for the seven Memphis relievers, listed from best to worst ERA within groups.
Which reliever would you add?
- Sam Freeman (42%, 13 Votes)
- Fernando Salas (26%, 8 Votes)
- Nick Greenwood (16%, 5 Votes)
- Deryk Hooker (13%, 4 Votes)
- other (specify in comments below) (3%, 1 Votes)
- Eric Fornataro (0%, 0 Votes)
- Jorge Rondon (0%, 0 Votes)
- Victor Marte (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 31
Latest posts by Brian Walton (see all)
- The Case Against a 30-Man MLB Roster - April 30, 2017
- Cardinals Hall of Fame Class of 2017 to be Announced Friday - April 27, 2017
- Talking Cardinals Prospects on KFNS - April 20, 2017