Reviewing the Cardinals draft with Rob Rains

With the 2013 First-Year Player Draft on the books and with news of the first signees beginning to trickle in, it seemed an excellent time to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals’ new class.

That was the subject of my discussion with Rob Rains of StLSportsPage.com and RobRains.com. In our 10-minute chat, we touched on a number of the most promising players in the Cardinals draft as well as potential elements of the organization’s drafting and signing strategies.

Link to audio: Rob Rains and Brian Walton break down the Cardinals 2013 Draft (10:34)

Also, make sure you check out Rob’s new book, “Intentional Walk: An Inside Look at the Faith that Drives the St. Louis Cardinals,” now available.

6 Responses to “Reviewing the Cardinals draft with Rob Rains”

Baseball America on Cards 1st rounder Gonzales:

. . . . he has drawn comparisons to Jason Vargas.

Back in June 2008, there was a lot of handwringing, thumbsucking, and bedwetting about Lance Lynn not being good enough. Lance has since proved the geniuses wrong.

I looked at a video of Gonzales. He looks like a smart choice. Has good stuff.

Goold’s article today has a section later on about Matheny on beanballs.

““There is a club that we’ve faced a number of times this year that they keep emphasizing they want the catcher standing up behind the guy (aiming) inside. That stuff drives me crazy. I don’t think there’s any room for it. . . . . No way. I don’t think it’s right.”

“Matheny did not identify the team he referenced that has its catchers stand up to offer the pitcher a target. A member of the Cardinals said it is the rival Chicago Cubs who do.”

Maybe its not right, but I bet the Cubs hitters don’t get thrown at. Other clubs would know Mike’s pacifist philosophy, so it puts our hitters at greater risk of being the target of a tactic meant to intimidate and keep batters from getting too comfortable. If the Cubs had an especially hot hitter, there is no way he would get hit three times. The opposing batters who would have to stand in there with the catcher lining up behind them wouldn’t allow it. Mike’s philosophy could end up getting one of our guys hurt. It is a case where nice guys finish last.

I was standing there, too. I have the audio of Matheny’s remarks and will post it up this afternoon so you can listen first-hand.

I will say that I did not interpret it to mean they won’t defend themselves. It is about targeting the head.

That is BS, IMO.

I hope we can agree that ineffective deterrent is no deterrent. I can’t imagine anybody cares about getting hit on the rump. Nobody who hears Matheny’s comments about it is going to be deterred except from using the tactic vs the Cubs.

Mutually assured destruction is a 100% effective deterrent. Nobody gets hurt.

Edit: I don’t mean your comment is BS, I mean Mike thinking he is accomplishing anything in the way of deterrence necessary to protect his players.