Baseball and Memorial Day – a time to remember

The two, baseball and Memorial Day, have always seemed entwined. Perhaps it is partially because of the importance of history to each.

Though many of us will be able to enjoy watching a number of games today while celebrating a day off with family and friends and without normal work schedules, let us not forget the meaning of Memorial Day.

It is a time to remember and thank those who have served and are serving and particularly for those who have fallen or had their ability to live a normal life altered while protecting our country and right to remain free.

The above photo is of members of the Vietnam Veterans of America with pitcher Trevor Rosenthal at Davenport’s Modern Woodmen Park in 2011 and taken by Names Around Town Photography.

20 Responses to “Baseball and Memorial Day – a time to remember”

I recognized the ball park in Davenport the moment I saw it. Among my favorite places to watch a game. It might even be worth checking out the Astros youngsters.

Nice photo.

Westbrook canceled his second opinion because he felt OK after some pen work.

I am really getting the feeling the whole medical/training staff end of the system is a train wreck. There never seems to be a thought out sensible plan in place for injured guys. Most of the time it seems to turn in to a debacle some how. 1

The Birds called up Marte. Semper Fi move for Memorial Day. We back our guys from the Silver Port.

If Shields can beat the Cards today, tip of the cap. With Matt Adams, Beltran, Carpenter, Descalso, and Jay, we are running some good bats out there.

Question of the day: Do Matt Carpenter and Yadi fight crime in their spare time?

Jake, Jaime, Gast, Salas, Cards med staff etc., pay attention:

“I got into so many bad habits when the arm was hurting and I kept trying to compensate for it. It’s been two years now.”

8. kray66 says:

Dusty Baker had to defend Johnny Cueto after he acted like a turd again. Cueto threw over the head of a Cubs player, and Matt Garza got mad about it. Baker’s response was for Cueto and Garza to fight it out. Dusty must not remember Cueto fights like a girl.

Story just reminded me that I still really, really hate Johnny Cueto.