Talking St. Louis Cardinals prospects on WGEM

On Tuesday morning, I joined Josh Houchins on WGEM ESPN 1440 Radio. The subject was to cover a number of the St. Louis Cardinals top prospects, both at the major league level and those still getting ready in the minors.

Josh is the host of WGEM SportsCenter, the only sports talk show in the Quincy, Ill. area, on-air from 7:00–9:00 A.M. every morning. You can learn more at wgem.com and follow Josh (@JWHooch) and the show on Twitter at @wgemesc.

Sister station WGEM 105.1 FM continues to be a member of the Cardinals radio network. If you live in the Tri-State area, make sure you tune in to game action all season long.

Link to audio

9 Responses to “Talking St. Louis Cardinals prospects on WGEM”

Enjoyed the audio, Brian.

I’m wondering if you think Oscar could possibly end up playing CF in St. Louis for a year or two?

(Since he is getting out OPSed on the season by both Jackson and Curtis maybe his bat doesn’t play at corner OF). :D

It seems like the Cards are up to their a$$ in closer candidates with Mujica, Rosenthal and Martinez. When Motte comes back next year he’s going to seem kind of old fashioned. Something will have to happen there.

Thank you. Glad you liked it.

Yes, I think Taveras could play CF every day, but I also do not see Jay going anywhere.

Tomorrow’s post will be on that very subject of next year.

Jay and Freese are the players everyone is dying to get rid of to put Carp at 3b, Taveras in CF, Craig in RF, and Adams at 1b.

When the music stops someone is not going to have a chair. I wouldn’t count on it being Adams.

Carp seems like he’ll be fine defensively at either 2nd or 3rd. Really fine at 3rd IMO. So it sort of depends on whether somebody coming up makes a compelling case for the 2nd base job, and I don’t just assume it will be Wang. I’d think the Cards would be willing to pay Freese so long as they can eventually trade him.

Well, I think one thing that fans overlook in their haste to be GM is that St. Louis, being a small market, relies more on ticket revenue than other clubs do. So, in addition to who plays what position they have to worry about who puts butts in the seats. Yes, winning will do that, but if you can win with David Freese over someone else, who do you think is going to put those butts in the seats? Matt Carpenter, some minor leaguer not everyone has heard of, or the hometown World Series hero. Think about one.

I’m looking forward to see how you find a spot for all the guys who aren’t going anywhere. :)

Sigh. Hate losing with a winner like Lance on the mound.

I’d like to see Descalso get more playing time at the expense of Freese or Kozma, against RHPs.