Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Progressing nicely

Weekly St. Louis Cardinals-focused chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

Late Friday afternoon, I joined Ken Miller on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in our regular series to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals, “Cardinal Talk.” This time, we discussed the successful, just completed road trip on the east coast as well as the Pittsburgh and Cincinnati series ahead.

Cardinals followers in central Iowa can again catch St. Louis Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my regular segment each week throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. Or, if you miss it live, you can always catch the replay right here at The Cardinal Nation blog.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Ken Miller (10:02)

13 Responses to “Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Progressing nicely”

Wow, this place is hopping.

Since there is no post game show (or not one that I can see anyway) if anyone hears why Matt Carpenter was PH for I’d like to know.

Boggs pitched better, not that anyone noticed.

Not sorry I missed the game, except for Jake’s performance.

I think Mike’s problem is that half the pen is rather useless. Kelly and Rosenthal have never experienced pitching every day. The 4 spots filled by the loogies, Salas and Boggs have to be put to more profitable use, somehow.

The spot filled by Wiggy is also not helping, so in reality, MM is working with a 20 man roster, plus 5 nearly useless spots. In other words, I’m throwing Mo under the bus.

Wigginton is useless, I agree.

The bullpen will get better. Wigginton never will.

As to Salas and the loogies, what reason is there for your optimism?

Well, first of all Scrabble has a FIP of 2.73 and a BABIP against of .407, which tells me that his ERA is bad luck and defense driven. His peripherals suggest he is actually pitching more like 2011 Scrabble rather than 2012.

Randy Choate has pitched 3.1 innings and has and ERA of 2.70 so what’s your beef with him? Actually, I have less confidence in him because his FIP is 3.89, which isn’t terrible but his BABIP against is .200. He’s liable to get worse as he pitches more innings.

Salas just has a consistency problem. Maybe he doesn’t get enough innings. His peripherals are fine, he just can’t seem to make the pitches at the right times.

Why am I not surprised the Cards are delaying a decision on Motte.

• Nutlaw says:

Agreed. Wishing over a longer period of time rarely works out for them, but they just keep going back to the same approach. Better to get him on the road to the mend now.

Motte hurt his arm throwing a baseball…………. Scare tissue sucks on that tendon………. Even if he made it back for 2 weeks, they are just setting him up to collect next year………the 8 million yr…….he have a secret bone spur like Furcal? …….. that they haven’t noticed……..like with his exams…… the only reason they are doing this is just to stall making a move…….. if the BP wasn’t collapsing…you would hardly notice this play…………… they will attempt to get to July where they will try to lump some of Wittingtons salary in a combo trade ………. who know with what…….you won’t notice because of some other activities……………… Miller was strong I think even in the face of the loss……lets see how he bounces back……..Holiday can’t come in for the ball…… that’s why there is so much confusion historically with the SS’s………….. Bad news on Boggs…….. he is not getting at his real issues…… he will have to go down for a focus period ……….. huge reluctance to involve the surplus here……..how far will that go?????