Cardinals Winter Warm-Up photos: Monday, 1/21/13

St. Louis Cardinals photos from Monday’s third and final session of the 2013 Winter Warm-Up at St. Louis’ Hyatt Regency at the Arch.

Included in row order below are Matt Carpenter, Bill DeWitt III, Carlos Beltran, Daniel Descalso, Whitey Herzog, Yadier Molina, Tony Cruz, John Mabry, David Freese and Mike Matheny.

The Cardinal Nation subscribers should check out on the main site where I loaded the audio comments from each of the above speakers. I did the same Saturday and Sunday as well.

Link to Saturday’s photos

Link to Sunday’s photos

7 Responses to “Cardinals Winter Warm-Up photos: Monday, 1/21/13”

Well, I ran into friends from the old days at the WWU and ended up missing the Negro League presentation that was tops on my to-do list. We ended up in the pub there at the hotel.

I did catch BDW III. He talked like ballpark villiage was on the cusp of getting off the ground. ahem. One feature I was unaware of was Wrigey-like rooftop seating right across the street fron left center field.

He also talked about the new alternate jersey which he had a big part in. In the hallway after his talk I was able to mention to him that the retro look would really pop if the players were encouraged to wear the high socks. He was in complete agreement. I didn’t get a chance to ask the org’s thinking on issuing uniform #5.

I didn’t see a single person wearing a Pujols jersey.

I also noticed that the booths for the Memphis and Springfield clubs were pretty pitiful. Seems like they are missing a golden opportunity to market themselves.

You may recognize the BDWIII photo above as I took it there. I wish I had known you were there. I was sitting front, center. If you recall when he was stuck for the location of Washington’s spring training site, he looked to me… ;-)

I noticed a couple of gentlemen up there but didn’t recognize the back of your head from the cheap seats. Nor did I recognize your voice when you came up with Viera. It sounds like the Cards are trying hard to stay in Jupiter long term. Somehow it doesn’t surprise me to learn that the Luhnows may factor in.

I know you like baseball related stories so hear is one from today.

Back in 1950, former Browns star player George Sisler was working for the Brooklyn Dodgers. That year the Dodgers and Phillies were vying for the NL pennant and George’s son Dick hit the homer that eliminated Brooklyn. My grandfather, who had known George well for about 35 years, was at the game and both George and Dick autographed his score card. (One of very, very few autographs my grandfather had after a lifetime around the game.)

A year or two later, Ernest Hemingway wrote ‘The Old Man and the Sea’, and as everyone knows, baseball is very important to the main character. Dick, George and Dick’s homer in that game all are mentioned in the novel.

So grandpa eventually gives the card to my dad who gave it to me, and I gave it to my son not too many years ago. So today my son had it with him, thinking to see if he could get an appraisal from some collectables dealers. When some friends and I headed down to the pub, he said he was going to talk to some folks about the card and would meet us down there. A while later he comes in and says nothing. So I ask him, and he said he decided he didn’t care what it was worth to somebody else. He said maybe some day his son can find out if he wants to. All I could do was hoist my glass.

2. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Freese looks like he has been living hard……………

Carlos Beltran has a silky shirt and sun-glasses. He is shaved and hair neatly styled. Senor Beltran looks like he has earned more money than the rest of the guys pictured, as he probably has.

Freese always seems to look a bit rough around the edges, that’s just how he looks.

I had noticed at the WWU that both Beltran and Matheny looked especially sharp.

Also worth mentioning, Yadi had a uniformed security guard standing directly behind him while he was sitting there signing autographs. They all had somebody, usually a beefy looking well dressed man, sitting next to them, but that was the only uniformed guard I saw.