Should Freese offer the public an explanation?

St. Louis Cardinals third baseman David Freese was involved in a Thursday afternoon traffic accident. In reportedly avoiding a deer, the 29-year-old lost control of his Range Rover and struck a tree in Wildwood, Mo. at about 2:30 P.M. on Thanksgiving.

KMOV Channel 4 reported that Freese was uninjured, showing a photo of the heavily-damaged vehicle, and noting the police plan no further investigations related to the accident.

The Post-Dispatch also outlined Freese’s driving record. His past includes two DWIs, plus another accident in which a foot injury suffered in the crash affected his ability to play the next season. Freese was also convicted of obstructing a police officer in the fourth incident, reportedly also involving alcohol. Two of them occurred in 2009, one in 2007 with the other in 2002.

No one in a position of authority is suggesting alcohol was a factor in Thursday afternoon’s accident. Yet given Freese’s history and the Cardinals having lost then-29-year-old Josh Hancock in a fatal 2007 collision involving alcohol, should the player and his team react publicly?

Do they proactively address the accident with the media or let it pass? Is the public owed any explanation or is it a private matter?

Should the Cardinals and/or David Freese publicly address his 11/22 accident?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

12 Responses to “Should Freese offer the public an explanation?”

My car hit a small deer at night. It was a terrible experience. I would never want to hit a large deer.

Its great Freese came out unhurt!!

I, too, had a deer accident. I hit a pretty good-sized deer in a small car on a very dark highway late at night about five years ago. Fortunately, it was on the passenger side (I was alone in the car). All I remember is seeing the deer’s head breaking the windshield. A very scary thing, but considering everything, it could have been a lot worse.

My mother hit a horse once. Farmer’s fence broke and the horse got loose. Fortunately it is was a street in which the speed limit was 30 mph and my mother was only going 20 mph. Didn’t hurt the horse, but the car didn’t fare so well.

2. CariocaCardinal says:

Is there a character issue involved? If not, I dont even understand why we would ask the question.

Freese is more dangerous with a wheel in his hands than with a hanging curve in his wheelhouse

The Post Dispatch’s “When did you stop beating your wife?” approach to the story is what I found annoying.

In the interests of equal time, shouldn’t the paper have investigated and reported the past traffic incidences of the deer involved? Don’t we as the public have the right to know if the deer has a past history of running out into traffic and causing accidents? How many Careless and Imprudent Darting into Traffic citations has this deer had?

• friendmouse says:

I couldn’t agree more, cw! And, sadly, with the report that the deer was avoided and supposedly “escaped unharmed” into the woods, he (or she) is now free to be a repeat offender (Hey, I got away with it this time; it was fun; gave me a rush; let’s see what happens to this mini-van full of chillen), and his (or her) next “victim” may not be so fortunate as was the baseball player.

We’ve got so many deer living in my neighborhood, that I don’t swerve to avoid them, I swerve to try to nick them and make them think twice about venturing onto the right-of-way. Survival of the fittest…that’s my motto. I’ve heard the lame argument “Well, they were here first!” No, they weren’t. I’ve lived here 21 years; the oldest deer in this subdivision can’t be more than about 8, tops!

3. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

This reeks of “off shore” involvements.

Rovers tend to be over powered, soft suspension, high profile for clearance. All bad.

David is a bad driver? He doesn’t sound like a good driver. Lucky he wasn’t driving the Corvette.

After reviewing close ups of that scene. It looks like a swerve accident. Had to be to break down that fence while having the rear end miss that tree. Would have been a tough parallel parking assignment. No skid marks. Didn’t tear up the grass, which means he planted that left headlight and the rear end was lite when it rotated to knock down the fence. Stock wheels. Cash poor. At least he can hit something.

Its going to be a long winter.

When do pitchers and catchers report?