Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Avoiding (an unhappy) flight

St. Louis Cardinals weekly chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

Late Friday afternoon, I joined Ken Miller and Jim Brinson on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in our regular series to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals, “Cardinal Talk.” This time, we discussed the National League Championship Series Game 5. If the Cardinals win, they can wrap up the series without having to return to San Francisco.

Cardinals followers in central Iowa can again catch St. Louis Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my regular segment each week throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. My appearances are sponsored by WCI Pools and Spas.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Ken Miller and Jim Brinson (6:41)

11 Responses to “Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Avoiding (an unhappy) flight”

I didn’t watch the game on purpose. It was a Lance Lynn start and there is only so much misery I can take. Dude can’t handle pressure.

Especially given Lynn’s earlier problems, Matheny stayed with him too long, in my opinion. l would have managed it like a Game 7. Of course, had Lynn just given up one run, the Cards would have lost anyway. A forgettable night all around.

You’d think after Game 1 Matheny would learn……….wait, what am I talking about.

I looked at the box score and the play by play on Gameday. Lynn was cruising until the 4th inning. You know, that inning after he ground into a double play with a man on second and third and only one out. Then he goes to the mound and immediately gives up two singles, gets a K and then makes a throwing error. That was followed by a walk and two more singles (granted, one was a bunt).

As for the offense, ;et me guess what I couldn’t see on Gameday. Matt Holliday probably swung at pitches in the dirt or a foot off the plate. Probably a lot of first pitch swinging outs by others. Expanding the zone and no patience at the plate.

Yep, I’ve seen this movie before.

2. CariocaCardinal says:

He wasn’t pitching bad. I he hadn’t made the error he would have been out of the inning with no runs.

• Nutlaw says:

Agreed. Lynn might tire early nowadays, but I thought that he looked pretty good on the mound. He was racking up strikeouts. Pitchers just … don’t know how to throw to bases, I guess.

The offense was the problem, clearly. Making Zito look like it was 2002 was not a good thing. For the series, the Cardinals have been feast, famine, actual normal game, feast, famine.

In eleven post season games, they have played only one in which they scored 3-5 runs.

They have four losses with scoring of 2, 1, 1, and 0.

In their seven wins, they scored 6, 12, 8, 9, 6, 3, and 8.

Cardinals pitching maybe dictated one game. It’s unreal.

• Nutlaw says:

To drive home the point:

In losses, the Cards gave up run tallies of 3, 2, 7, and 5. Average of 4.25 R/G.

In wins, the Cards gave up 3, 4, 0, 7, 4, 1, 3. Average of 3.14 R/G.

So in losses, they are losing by an average of 1-4.25.

In wins, they are winning by an average of 7.43-3.14.

Why even watch them pitch?

And if you go over to VEB, the offense wasn’t the goat either, it was just “bad luck”.

Amazing to me how the Cardinals can lose spectactularly bad so often and it not be anybody’s fault. No wonder they don’t stop doing it.

• CariocaCardinal says:

I never said or implied it wasn’t anyone’s fault. It was actually Lynn’s fault (for the runs given up – if you have to assign fault) but it was the error more so the error more so than his pitching.

3. Nutlaw says:

So last night wasn’t great, the Cards are still up 3-2. I’m not too worried yet.

If Carp of 2011 postseason was pitching, I wouldn’t be worried, but this Carp isn’t him. Plus the Giants have Vogelsong going and the Cards haven’t been able to hit him either. And the hostile crowd. And I don’t want to go to a Game 7. So I’m plenty worried.

I remember after Zito signed his gnormous contract. The next year, he pitched awful for the Giants. Meanwhile as always, we seemed short a few pitchers, so claimed Todd Wellemeyer after his released by the last place Royals. The Cards turned the Royals reject into a starter and Welly beat Zito in St Louis. It was a good times moment, Welly bests super rich Zito.
    Unfortunately, Zito got revenge in game 5. Great bunt by Zito in the 4th inning, to take advantage of Freese not positioning himself better. Barry deserves great credit for executing a smart play.
    Lynn was pitching great, as was Carpenter until he made an error in the 4th inning of game 2. The Tigers pitchers lost the Series in 2006 with a bunch of errors. Pitching is a tough enough job just throwing, so sometimes bad things happen when strong armed, aggressive pitchers are compelled to react quickly on defense. Lynn tried to do too much, instead of takeing of grabbing a sure out at 1B. In the heat of combat and trying to win, its not easy to let up and just take the easy out. Baseball is a game of disciplined aggression and it can be not easy to find the best balance.