Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Pivotal Game 3

St. Louis Cardinals weekly chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

Late Tuesday afternoon, I joined Ken Miller and Jim Brinson on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in our regular series to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals, “Cardinal Talk.” This time, we discussed Game 3 of the National League Division Series to be played in Washington, DC on Wednesday afternoon.

Cardinals followers in central Iowa can again catch St. Louis Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my regular segment each week throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. My appearances are sponsored by WCI Pools and Spas.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Ken Miller and Jim Brinson (8:58)

40 Responses to “Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Pivotal Game 3”

The first team to two more wins, advances, while the other team waits for next year. Its a short series. Time to make plays.
    The Strasburg-less Nationals start Edwin Jackson, who the Cards man-handled recently. We start Chris Carpenter. We have a chance.

2. kray66 says:

An article this morning out on another site about Strasburg had quotes from unnamed players questioning management’s decision to shut down Stras and said they felt the Nats would be up 2-0 if he was pitching.

Sounds like they may be already a little worried about losing this series, which I like to hear.

• kray66 says:

But our offense has to show up. Doesn’t matter how well Carp or Lohse pitches if we don’t score a few runs to back them up and give them some breathing room. I’m hopeful Monday’s offense shows up, not Sunday’s “swing away at first-pitch balls out of the zone” offense.

No one from the Cards is probably whispering that about Garcia. ;-)

Seriously, unless the Nats win the World Series, there is sure to be widespread second-guessing about them shutting down Strasburg. Anyone who couldn’t see that coming from miles away is incredibly naive.

No doubt about it.

But let’s face it, having Strasburg increases their odds, but is no guarantee. Strasburg is young and has no playoff experience. Any pitcher can have a bad day, or be got to.

What if the Nat’s go down this year AND Strasburg goes down next year.

Nats management put themselves in this place by not stretching out Strasburg’s prescribed innings over a longer period of time. I don’t feel sorry for them.

In a twisted way, it could help them in ticket sales for next year. I can see the marketing slogan now:

“If we got this far without Stras, think of where 2013 will take us!”

Strasburg already had Tommy John, so odds are that he isn’t going to go down again in 2013. Of course, nothing is assured, which is precisely the logic being used by some for why they think he should be pitching now.

For those interested in prospects, check out Leonda Markee’s free preview article on the main site, summarizing opening day of the 2012 Arizona Fall League. The Cards have eight players competing for the Surprise Saguaros this year and we will be covering the action daily for subscribers.

Wow! I am amazed and promise not to complain today when Jumbo crows about Kozma. Wow!

Fantastic 1st inning. Craig 2out rbi. Gritty Carp doesn’t have his best control, E3, guys all over the bases, hangs tough, gets out of it.

Top of 2nd, Mighty Pete blasts a 3 run dong. Looked like a 500 ft. rope to me. :)

Pete was probably just demoralized stuck in the PCL. Now he’s dusted off his 1st round tool box.

7. Nutlaw says:

How fortunate is it that Carpenter was able to come back for the end of this season, huh? Great stuff.

ARod makes $29M this year and the Yanks pulled him for a pinch hitter making $1M at clutch time. Because he’d been in a slump. That’s how they do it in the big city.

9. Kansasbirdman says:

It’s frustrating I couldn’t watch the game yesterday, but I would rather not be able to watch and them win than the other way around.

I was in court all afternoon, but the Judge is also a Cards fan and she had gametrax on the computer behind the bench and would give me updates. The good guys kept scoring runs across several innings which I think is one of the best signs things are going well.

Wanted to see more highlights, but the chumps on sportscenter kept playing the other games and barely showed any clips of the Cards-Nats game. I forgot to DVR it.

Let’s hope the offense stays alive and the bullpen strong! (k.o.w.)

The Nats’ backs are against the wall. They will be playing like there is no tomorrow, because if they don’t, there won’t be. The Cards have to do the same. That means the offense can’t take a sabbatical like they are wont to do. Detwiler has something to prove. Expect his best stuff and plan accordingly, Cards. If you don’t, we are all going to be very unhappy this evening.

I’m sick of Yankees and As coverage this morning. Did we even play yesteday?

“I don’t think anything (strategic) needs to be discussed. I’m not even on the roster and I already know how Kyle Lohse would pitch me tomorrow. I’ve already grinded it out. He’s got no shot tomorrow”

—Mark DeRosa

Well, let’s just forfeit then.

Today is must win because I’m working tomorrow. And all weekend.

14. Kansasbirdman says:

Anybody think that the Nolan Ryan statement about Hamilton picking the “wrong time” to quit chewing tobacco (midseason) is just an effort to try to turn the Rangers fans against him because Ryan has no intention of resigning him and doesn’t want fans to be upset that the Rangers don’t make a considerable effort or offer? If so, I think the particular statement will backfire, it sounds far-fetched and even if it did contribute, or fans even agree that it may have contributed to his slump I don’t think fans would go far enough to say that he needed to keep chewing through the season. There are other issues or topics to try to throw a player under the bus and insinuate that they aren’t dedicated enough. The poll on MSN has 72% saying he needn’t have waited to quit. Bad PR move by Ryan IMHO.

I think it was only an issue for Nolan, and anybody else, because with Hamilton it is one thing after another. Ryan is justifiably fed up with it, but I have no sympathy for an org that would give him more than a one year contract. I wish Hamilton success fighting his demons, but I wouldn’t sign him to a guaranteed contract to do anything.