Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Road trip ugly

St. Louis Cardinals weekly chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

Late Wednesday afternoon, I joined Ken Miller and Jim Brinson on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in our regular series to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals, “Cardinal Talk.” This week, we discussed the Cardinals current schedule, including the rough start to the club’s West Coast road trip.

Cardinals followers in central Iowa can again catch St. Louis Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my regular segment each week throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. My appearances are sponsored by WCI Pools and Spas.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Ken Miller and Jim Brinson (8:52)

14 Responses to “Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Road trip ugly”

Lohse is playing for a huge payday and the 18 or so wins he deserves to have would look a lot better than 14.

It might actually be encouraging if there were a core of leaders to join him. But as it is, anyone who might be considered in a leadership position has been as much the problem as anyone.

I would think CCarp will liven things up a bit once he gets on the mound. Hopefully at least. It has become clear the Matheny is impotent as far as ability to rally the troops. But to be fair, he’s having more than he can handle just with the basic machanics of his job. That has surely been apparent to the players for some time, and sadly, they have not responded by covering his back.

It wasn’t just Lohse, but Yadi’s remarks that were disconcerting. It sounded to me like he was blaming his teammates. “I did my job, but [you] crapped the bed”. That’s how I took it anyway.

I had missed that. I’ll try to find an exact quote, hopefully with context.

Yadi’s decision to give up a clutch AB to try to set up his teammates to be the hero was a good sign, however ill-concieved. But the middle of the order boppers have to bopp, and let the other guys bunt. Muddled thinking for sure. Due to directionless desperation I’d say.

But on the other hand, Yadi did not think it best to rely on his manager to call or not call a sac bunt play. A bad sign.

1. kray66 says:

In Springfield news, I first have to apologize for no in-game updates. I spent most of the game holidng my 4-month old daughter (who LOVES the games by the way) and the news wasn’t great for most of the game. Taveras took an inside pitch off his elbow and dropped to a knee walking to first for a few minutes. Kinda scary, but he stayed in the game and I haven’t heard anything further on it.

Napoli hit a monster 2-R HR that I almost swear went 600 feet. It was way out of the park. Otherwise he had a K, a ground out, and a pop out.

Game was 4-0 Frisco into the end of the 7th when we decided to get the kid home and in bed since it was way past her bedtime. We weren’t a block or two from the stadium when I turned the radio on and heard the Cards start a rally. 2 outs in the 8th, they come back and score 6 runs to go up 6-4. No HRs, all doubles and singles. Keith Butler came in and had a 1-2-3 to end the 9th. Springfield up 2-0 headed to Frisco.

Pretty awesome ending. I’m sad I missed it in person, and I’m sure the other drivers that saw me celebrating on the drive home had a good laugh at me.

Sounds like a great time. Brings back memories for me. I liked to take my kids to minor league games from an early age, although not that early. My eldest and his wife had their kids at the park as infants though. They are maniacal fans.

Quite a contrast between how the AA Cardinals and the MLB Cardinals are playing.

Brian, the term ‘Ugly’ in the headline is misleading. It should be ‘Fugly”. Actually, ‘Totally F-ing Fugly’ would be in order, but I understand that professional restraint is called for.

Let us hope that Chavez Ravine breaks off and sinks into the Pacific. Before we get there, of course.

The lively discussion of top prospects on the voting thread on the main site has me wishing the top 6 or 8 guys were in the Cards everday lineup/rotation, regardless of present level. We could really use a handful of over-achievers right about now. AA to MLB didn’t hurt Rosenthal any.

As if we don’t have reasons enough for angst, I wonder what Lynn’s return to the rotation will bring.

I have heard nothing about any tweeking, or corrections and such. Nor about any bothersome physical issue subsiding. A mental and physical break I assume. Hooboy, well, what the heck.

I’d like to be the first to welcome Carlos back to the lineup. He is bound to return to his old self at any moment, right?

The Cards org has been known to try to reward good organization soldiers who aren’t going to advance in the organization, like Kozma. Give him a chance to audition at this level. One wouldn’t think now is the time, though.

Carlos is back, but after the boppers at least. MCarp at 3B. No Air Mail Boy. No Jackson.

1. Jon Jay (L) CF