Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Key road trip begins

St. Louis Cardinals weekly chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

Late Friday afternoon, I joined Ken Miller and Jim Brinson on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in our regular series to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals, “Cardinal Talk.” This week, we discussed the Cardinals upcoming NL Central battle with the first-place Cincinnati Reds.

Cardinals followers in central Iowa can again catch St. Louis Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my regular segment each Friday afternoon throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. My appearances are sponsored by WCI Pools and Spas.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Ken Miller and Jim Brinson (8:02)

31 Responses to “Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Key road trip begins”

If we pull out a win tonight, some posters will appear

2. Nutlaw says:

So the Red Sox trying to trade away three of their top players post-deadline is huge enough to warrant discussion here, I think. What does everyone else think about the proposed deal? It seems to be a wise move for Boston in shedding a couple of bad salaries. Sure, losing Gonzalez would be rough, but he’s not exactly underpaid. They can always go out and pay the next big free agent first baseman a ton of money, too.

I continue to be amazed that the guy who gave all those terrible contracts and put together the bad chemistry teams in Boston, Theo Epstein, continues to get a free pass. They did win two titles, but I wonder how much credit for that he really deserves.

The new Dodgers are impacting the economics of the game, shouldering big contracts from Philly, Miami, and Boston, in the past month.
      Its a happy miracle for the Red Sox to shed 3 salary albatrosses, plus our pal Punto.
      Meanwhile the Dodgers have become the high rollers of the Game, now Steinbrenner has passed from the scene.
      This is a deal Bowie Kuhn would have stopped, since too swashbuckling for his mind to accept, but its probably good for the Dodgers, Red Sox, and the players.

The Dodgers are fighting for customers against Arte, Albert, and the Angels, so the Dodgers are fighting back in a big way.
      Since May 6, Albert has hit more HRs than anyone else, an interesting stat. He had a bit of introductory trouble, but now Pujols is himself.

Per Goold: Lynn to the pen, Kelly back in the rotation for next start.

4. BKKCard says:

It was notable that Berkman mentioned he was proud to have played his entire career ‘supplement free’, and chatting with my gal, she mentioned the players with seemingly non-HOF careers that would likely be in the mix had they not faced their pumped up opponents – folks like Berkman (I thought) and Mussina (as a Yankees fan she thought).

As to the Lynn/Kelly situation, I earlier voted Lynn to the bullpen and Kelly in the rotation – he slings it and be damned! Lynn, it seems, could use a break.

Also, i think the Dodgers are nuts, but the venerable Vin Scully will have interesting last season.

Great point, BKK. Scully will have a whole new batch of interesting stories to tell. Four games out there in mid-September should be pretty exciting. I haven’t been to Dodger Stadium for about five years. Wish I had time this year.

Some things went well, but the Cards got whipped. Though Molina was out, Cruz had a couple of hits. While Freese rested, Carpenter drove in a run. We brought up Dickson for the Reds, but he could not put hitters away, needing 48 pitches to collect 3 outs, turning a close game into a rout. Garcia had a matchup advantage, but Bruce hit a HR.

There was a bad call that went against Jaime and the Bruce HR followed. He’s got to get mentally tougher to take his pitching to the next level.

There were several people on Twitter yesterday (mostly VEBers that I follow) who went ballistic on BJ Rains and Derrick Goold concerning the “narrative” that Jaime pitches poorly when things go bad. One in particular was arguing with Goold off and on the rest of the day that the HR pitch was just a random bad pitch and had nothing whatsoever to do with Jaime’s mental state. Goold related that coaches and teammates had said Jaime has issues, but this guy was not buying any of it.

I’d value the views of those who are actually in the clubhouse and talk to the people involved.

Me too. For most stat geeks, if it can’t be objectively measured, it doesn’t exist. I love the stats, but not the mindset.

• Nutlaw says:

Again, if they can’t prove it, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it can’t be proven. It just means that they aren’t good enough to do it. There’s a big difference.

I don’t care enough to dig through and see Garcia’s performance in innings after an error was made behind him, but his body language tells the story.

• Nutlaw says:

Hrm. Well, in his career, Garcia has given up 214 runs, 173 of them earned. That’s 80% earned runs.

In the National League this year, teams have given up an average of 556 runs, 512 of them earned. That’s 92% earned runs.

It’s not in-depth by any means, but it’s indicative of a pattern. Please don’t lump in bad statisticians with everyone else.

Sorry for the generalization, maybe I hang around the wrong stat geeks. Mostly I lurk at VEB, where the Jaime “narrative” is roundly criticized. They can get pretty heated about arguments regarding things like that. “Chemistry” is another thing that gets them going.

• Nutlaw says:

Well, I’m going to go out on a limb and state that the epitome of reasoned analysis doesn’t often spring from mob anger. Find some people who aren’t wildly flailing their arms about – those folk are usually your safer bets when it comes to statistical integrity. :)

I want to learn sabermetrics in an environment where the Cardinals are discussed. VEB is the only place I’ve found that is both Cardinals related and focuses on sabermetrics. They do have something of a hive mind there which I take into account.

If you have a suggestion for some places I could go for statistical analysis, I would welcome it.

• Nutlaw says:

Unfortunately, the real stats guys probably focus more upon generalized studies than rooting for individual teams in their work, and that does tend to make the subject much more dry.

I’ve been out of the loop for a little while, but it’s tough to go wrong with Baseball Prospectus, but the experts expect compensation for their efforts. Fangraphs is usually good. I’ve been partial to the Hardball Times, but their top people tend to get raided by Baseball Prospectus, from what I’ve seen. Going straight to sabr.org may also be insightful.

Brian, you’re actually a member. Thoughts?

I do have a subscription to BP but I have mostly used it to look up stats and read some of the articles about Cardinals players. I have never visited the blogs. Maybe I should check them out.

• Nutlaw says:

Well, sure, there you go!

• Nutlaw says:

As for team chemistry, unless someone has done an actual study to disprove it, I’d be strongly wary of discounting traditional wisdom and general observation.

If we had unlimited resources, unlimited time, and a team of statisticians, biochemists, and psychologists, I bet that we could link team cohesiveness to performance. We link negative and positive situations to the production of individual neurochemicals and then link neurochemical levels to various activities on the field. It could be quantified. Just about anything that actually exists could theoretically be quantified.

Given that such a study has not been performed to my knowledge, all we know is what we observe. Connections don’t magically become real the moment that someone puts a model around them. An actual technical person (rather than an internet blowhard) would understand the limitations of the data at hand and wouldn’t confuse an inability to explain something with the ability to disprove it.

I know that I’m much less effective at my job when I’m not happy with my co-workers. It’s rather basic managerial understanding. If actual first-hand reporting tells you that a positive atmosphere is helping out the team, then that’s the best data you have, even if it is qualitative, and the burden falls on others to disprove it.

If Mo had kept Trevor Rosenthal around, sending down Shane Robinson instead, then the game could have been kept competitive.