Remembering the 1982 St. Louis Cardinals

It was a big weekend at Busch Stadium as the St. Louis Cardinals swept the Milwaukee Brewers and pulled 10 games over .500 for the first time this season.

Arguably, the main event was the reunion of the 1982 World Champions, however.

The following photo of the reunion participants was taken by Scott Rovak and includes the son of the late Darrell Porter on the left (#15) and daughter of the late Bob Forsch (#31) at your right of the front row.

The group was previously together in 2005, the final year of Busch Stadium II. You can see here a photo from that earlier reunion, with Forsch on the left and Willie McGee on the far right.

The 2008 article linked to above recognizes the 1982 club as the 12th-best Cardinals team of all time and includes several other shots from that season, including Bruce Sutter’s jubilation as he secures the final out of the World Series.

The following is the team photo from 1982. In the color version, the club was sporting the powder blues worn in tribute by the current team during Sunday night’s win.

45 Responses to “Remembering the 1982 St. Louis Cardinals”

1. WesPowell says:

Won 9 of the last 10 home games with the total score of the 9 wins 59-13.

We have hit the 2/3 pole, 108 games, at 10 games over .500, and fighting for the playoffs. This has to be considered pretty darn good for the first season post-LaRussa, post-Duncan, and post-Pujols, Figuring in the no-Carpenter for the season, and the no-Garcia-no-Berkman for big chunks of the season, it’s gotta be a solid A grade. The team has had a boatload of very close losses and keeps bouncing back. We are fortunate fans indeed.

Anyone that isn’t pleased is, forgive me for saying, somewhat cross-eyed.

The 108 game season we just finished was fun, but we got smoked. Third place is for losers.

Now we’re starting a 54 game season and spotting them 7 games. Lets roll.

Wes, the Cards have done pretty well, but Wainwright said they should be 20 games over .500 and he is right. We should be ahead of the Pirates and need to work on getting there, asap.

There is no reason to call others cross-eyed.

• WesPowell says:

We probably would be 20 over with just somewhat less injury issues. What this team has done the last 2 years considering the staggering injuries is almost beyond belief.

2. WesPowell says:

Only happy in first place? A case could be made that is someone who wants as much unhappy as humanly possible.

3. WesPowell says:

I suggest anyone who needs perspective check out the Phillies and Brewers. They are following up their 102 and 96 wins respectively with 16 and 17 1/2 games out.

4. WesPowell says:

Who would have guessed that our division would produce the best record in baseball at this point. All things considered, we have weathered the storm respectably.

5. WesPowell says:

crdswmn,

You don’t have to have MY perspective. ANY perspective will do.

My perspective is that your critical attitude about other fans’ viewpoints is annoying as heck. My perspective is that I am less and less inclined to post when I see your posts on here. My perspective is that there are others that share my perspective on this issue and that is why commenting is down. My perspective is that I will think and feel about this team anyway I please.

Is that enough perspective for you?

6. WesPowell says:

There’s no need to duck and run. Thank God the team doesn’t have such an attitude.

7. WesPowell says:

Just hang in there. If we get swept or go on a losing streak you can be happy as a lark and come let me have it.

Last year DD got hot for an extended run and earned a rep as a clutch contributor to the O. Then he regressed to his past nerf noodle self for an extended period. Now he’s showing signs or reverting to his pre-regression clutch ways. And his D is solid.

Now, if Jay can get hot for a while, we can see the offense humming along.

Lets see how we follow up the sweep now that we face stiffer opposition.

9. WesPowell says:

DD gets as much out of his ability as anyone and has been invaluable last year and this. I’ll take his kind for a back-up-fill-in anytime. There’s no cause for “nerf noodle”.

Its not my fault he hit .213 with a 25% K rate in June. I sometimes say “nerf noodles in the bat rack” when talking about pugilistically challenged players or teams.

He stepped it up in July, which I am duly acknowledging. And like I said, it will be a big boost if he keeps it up. I also praised his D, so its not like I’m dumping on him, but he looked like crap at the plate most of the first half.

• WesPowell says:

Okay. I’ll grant you that. Some praise including nerf noodle is kind of qualified praise, and it would, I guess, go into the category of positive.

Now the question is why praise now has to be accompanied by rehashing the guys previous bad streak.

It shows a predisposition.

10. WesPowell says:

I’m sorry I can’t just let this stuff slide. I have to comment. It reminds me of college football blogs, and the fans calling the teams with the lesser records weak and chumps.

You have to picture in your mind that guy sitting at his keyboard and the linebacker or defensive end on a D-1 college football team. And which one is putting down on the other.

You take the keyboard guy and put him in a practice of the 3-8 team and pitch him the ball on a sweep ,he’d wet his pants.

• Nutlaw says:

Yes, professional athletes are better at playing sports than most other people. Most other people are better at their jobs than professional athletes would be. What does that have to do with anything?

We’re here to talk baseball, and yes, that will include discussion of players who aren’t as good at their jobs as others. I think that it is clear that we aren’t buying what you’re selling. If you want to talk baseball, please join us. If you want to pick fights, please find somewhere else to do it.

11. Nutlaw says:

Oswalt sure seems to be making quite the fuss over being sent to the bullpen, as though his poor pitching didn’t merit it. At least the Cardinals’ washed-up former Astro is willing to take on a lesser role, so that’s something.

12. WesPowell says:

First comment of the night about his Cardinals. Someone is washed up.

13. STLfan51 says:

Since this article is about the ’82 Cahmpions, I’d like to share my experience of that season. I was 6 years old and my first game was when Brummer stole home. Needless to say, I was hooked. I don’t remember much, but I clearly remember my dad hitting my arm saying, “he’s going he’s going!!!!!” My second game was Game 2 of the World Series. My uncle owned a tavern in Springfield, IL at the time and got tickets through Bud. He couldn’t use the tickets due to the crowds his tavern was getting, so he gave my dad 2. And my dad took me. As we were sitting there waiting for the game to start, my dad was catching some flack for “wasting” a World Series ticket on a kid. At which point my dad said to me, “Mike, tell these guys the starting lineup for the Cardinals tonight.” I delivered position and batting order for the game on cue. The guys were impressed, but one guy said, “Great, he knows the Cardinals big deal.” So my dad says, “Ok Mike now tell this guy the Brewers lineup”. I delivered again, positions and batting order for the Brewcrew. Mind you this was 1982, no direct TV, internet etc., and I was 6! Needless to say, the guys around my dad had a great laugh and I was accepted as one of the guys. For game 7 I was entered into my Uncle’s pool and had the square for the final score and won $150. The next day I bought my first BMX bike. Obviously, I had a great time that fall.

What a great story! Thank you for sharing it….

That is a great story 51, thanks. I have an 82 series story to share as well. It is about how the 82 series gave me the chance to have dinner with a future HOF manager.

I was in my mid 20s, working at a machine shop, and the owner was not a baseball fan. As the WS got under way, guys had started wearing Cards hats and jerseys instead of the required steel grey Dickeys work uniforms. The memo came out – no sports shirts or caps.

So the next day I walk in and spot this old guy with his greys bloused at the knee and red and white stirrups over athletic socks. I introduced myself and we became friends. Turns out he played a few years of minor league ball, winding up with the Houston Buffaloes, the Cards Texas League affiliate in 1952. There he ran into a fellow St. Louisan, teammate Earl Weaver.

So when Earl came back for his second stint managing the Orioles during the 85 season, my buddy invited me to come to Kansas City for the Orioles game on the 4th of July. We sat with the Orioles wives and families and afterwords had dinner with HOF manager Earl and Cal Ripken, Sr., one of his coaches.

And here is something really amazing. One of the stories Weaver told at dinner was about one time he was having a heated argument with umpire Ron Luciano, and he’d thrown his hat down. Another umpire, Don Denkinger, casually walked up and with his cleated shoe, ground Weaver’s hat into the dirt, poking it full of holes. Earl said, “you gotta watch out for Denkinger, he’s an asshole”. This was about 3 months before the Denkinger call at 1B during the series.

Skip is leading off tonight against the lefty. He only has around 25-30 PAs vs lefties this year.

Last time out, Lance pitched OK but got let down by the O and the pen. The time before that he pitched bad and got picked up by the O and the pen. What’s going to happen this time?

After 5 Lynn is at 83 pitches. He never goes past 100-110, and never goes past 6 IP for that matter, so we’ll be seeing a lot of the pen.

We are getting a few hits at least. Put ‘em together.

Colby hit his 20th today, 66 RBI. We like our center fielder, but, damn.

Time will tell for some, while others will remain satisfied that the one title was enough in return.

I don’t regret the trade, it had to be. And the WS win was all the return I could ever want. But . . . damn.

• Bw52 says:

And some will be happy that Colby is gone along with his sideshow.

The sideshow is gone 52, not just from St. Louis, but gone completely. There is not a hint of it in Toronto. And who else is gone? Not Colby. Do you not gain any insight from that? Sometimes the facts speak for themself, whatever our thinking may have been in the past. Observing those facts as they unfold is causing me to rethink the whole Colby business. Like Bian said, time will tell.

There may not be any sideshow in Toronto at this moment, bb, but there was plenty as recently as this spring.

Consistent performance seems the best way to put focus in the right place.

I agree. And Colby has been anything but consistent. He could crater for good and I’ll look like a dumbass. But he looks good now. My thinking about the whole thing has been all over the place the last few years. All recorded forever somewhere in the archive.

An interesting poll question would be whether Colby or Albert puts up better numbers over the next 9 years.

Maybe I will run that poll during the off-season if there is nothing else to discuss, but there is plenty of current baseball going on now for me to focus on two guys no longer on the team.

P.S. Maybe the poll should include Jay and Craig, since they are two guys who received big playing time increases due to the departures of Rasmus and Pujols.

• Nutlaw says:

Rasmus has a .784 OPS on the season. Jay has a .772 mark. Not a big deal. Sure, Rasmus has power, but he can’t get on base.

Pujols has an .887 OPS this year. Craig is at .934. I’m not worried there.

• Bw52 says:

Bling- you can join the Colby kissing bunch if you want.Not me.Colby screwed the pooch in Stlouis and is not missed by me.He has been adequately replaced.As for TLRs replacement…………………not impressed so far………………..still Matheny should do okay in time.

Having started off ice cold, Colby could end up with 30hr/100RBI, or thereabouts. He’s 25 yrs old. The Jays should put up a Tony LaRussa statue out front. But RC would probably get arrested for mooning it.

Maybe Arte went after the wrong guy. If you are looking at next ten years production.