Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: In the ivy

St. Louis Cardinals weekly chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

Late Friday afternoon, I joined Jim Brinson and Joe Quinn on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in our regular series to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals, “Cardinal Talk.” We reviewed Friday’s win as the Cardinals continue in Chicago over the weekend.

Cardinals followers in central Iowa can again catch Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my regular segment each Friday afternoon throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. My appearances are sponsored by WCI Pools and Spas.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Jim Brinson and Joe Quinn (5:42)

25 Responses to “Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: In the ivy”

1. WesPowell says:

Came out of the break and lost those 3 tight ones at Cincy, then lost 2 one runners to the Brewers and follow that up winning 7 of 8.

The Cardinals of 2011 and 2012 have truly the epitome of relentless.

God I’m proud of ‘em.

2. WesPowell says:

And maybe next time I’ll remember to type been after have truly.

Ankiel is available, wake up Mo.

Having missed the game, I can only make some observations from the box score.

The top two in the order went Ofer, not good, but we still handed them their head, good. Tempered by the fact it was the Cubs.

Descalso seems to be heating up. He came in handy last time that happened.

Lance got wacked (bad), but the pen and the O picked him up (good). His 13th win was a lucky one.

The solo HR club should make Holliday their King.

5. BKKCard says:

A few random thoughts:

When Berkman retires, he should write a Jim Bouton style autobiography.

Someone should tell Joe Kelly to ditch the dip; he looks a doofus with that giant lip and it sets a bad example to a lot of people that are watching him. This coming from a 3-year ex-dipper.

I’m glad the Cards (so far) have avoided trades – they have the weapons to do it already.

After hearing all of the hate for Al Hrabrosky when I visit STL, since listening to him and Horton or McLaughlin, as well as sampling other announcing teams through MLBTV, I think we largely have it pretty good. It’s nice to tune in to his endless banter now and then and hear about the Cards from the 70′s – ’80s, e.g. the HOF game where Danny Cox was brought up from Double A, which happened to dovetail with a recent conversation on this board.

I’m in the Waino for 2-3 year extension when it happens.

Welcome BKK.

I would welcome anything written or spoken by Berkman. I think he would make a great color guy on a baseball broadcast.

I agree about Kelly. Tobacco use in any form is personally disgusting.

As for trades, I would really like to see us get another bullpen arm. I don’t think this bullpen as it is currently constructed will hold up to postseason

Can’t agree about Hrabosky. He’s awful.

I want a Waino extension for as long as possible. I voted for 5 years, but I will settle for 4.

Brian, the very least Wainwright signs for is 4yrs ………….. very likely 5 yrs or more………. he knows his position……… with Home Town discount,……..its still going to be 18 or 19 yr ……….. if they want 4 its going to be 20+……………

Its not just your group here that’s slowing down……….. there is a quiet that happens right before the leviathan finally surfaces ……………. They will expose Rosenthal as little as possible……… when Garcia returns……..they slide Lynn or Kelly over to take his spot………… Garcia isn’t going to bring anything …….. I’ve seen this before in both Santana and Liriano……. the shoulder forces them to change arm angles and rely on weaker pitches to hide their vulnerability………….. not so good………..

It is interesting. Site access is up this week, due to the subject matter, I assume, but commenting is down. I suspect people are waiting for the Cardinals’ other shoe to drop.

The F.O . interest in James Shields??????????? tells a story………. and its not about baseball………..

I feel for AW…………. team does not respond to his leadership………… maybe can’t respond???????

Mo is hitting everyone up for the right contract conditions……….. he wants cash considerations, for the talent he is willing to part with……..go figure………. this is going to be your legacy here for a number of years………… the other shoe falling should be interesting……… I have a feeling ……..

Beltran…………
          2 years/$26M (2012-13)
          signed by St. Louis as a free agent 12/23/11
          12:$13M, 13:$13M
          full no-trade clause
          think he would turn down a trade right now………….????? I don’t see him playing here next year anyway………….. the relentless……and meaningless assaults on he sensibility seems to be sending a message from where I sit……………

Matheny might have become a good manager……….. however……. I believe he gives it up……to the surprise of everyone after next year…………

James Shields rhp
            4 years/$11.25M (2008-11), plus 2012-14 club options

4 years/$11.25M (2008-11), plus 2012-14 club options
            signed extension with Tampa Bay 1/23/08
            08:$1M, 09:$1.5M, 10:$2.5M, 11:$4.25M, 12:$7M club option ($2M buyout), 13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout), 14:$12M club option ($1M buyout)

The quality of prospects that landed Greinke, Liriano, and Wandy Rodriquez was not all that exciting.

I haven’t analyzed them, but it doesn’t seem the Shelby Miller-class prospects have been the ones on the move.

Liriano ought to have been cheap, because he has been ineffective for a while and its only for 2 months. Wandy might not be great, but could be helpful. Greinke is a pretty good pitcher, so the Angels did well to land him. Maybe the Brewers did not want to trade him inside the division.

Mo likes to aim high. In July 2008, he hunted Fuentes and Holliday but missed. In July 2009, Mo landed 2 months of Holliday for Wallace, Peterson, and Mortensen, assuming Matt could be re-signed as a free agent. In July 2010, it was Westbrook, sinker baller to make Duncan happy. In July 2011, Edwin Jackson, Dotel, and Rzepcynski.

Well, it’s less than 24 hours until the trade deadline and not a peep out of the Cardinals. I’m not holding my breath for anything to happen.