Be the Cardinals GM: Who to trade?

Those who believe the St. Louis Cardinals need to make a trade to give the club a second-half push see pitching as the primary need. A reader poll earlier this week labeled the team’s top priority requirement as left-handed relief (approximately 45% of the vote), a starting pitcher (30%), then right-handed bullpen help (15%).

This is the companion part to that first post. After all, in a trade, one has to give to get.

Assuming the club will give up one or more prospects to acquire a proven major league pitcher, what player would you be most willing to move if you were the Cardinals general manager? Who would you keep off-limits?

Please share your thoughts in the comments selection below.

Which prospect would you be most inclined to trade?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Which prospect would you most want to keep?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

39 Responses to “Be the Cardinals GM: Who to trade?”

IMHO what will complicate Cards trade activity could be the possibility that the trading partner will not want to take on any significant salary (a large veteran salary).Cards might have to consider parting with a couple of prospects and a young MLB player.
    While liking Matt Adams as a option with Craig…………….Adams is the one who might be easiest replaced.Cards need pitching now and in the future so S.Miller,Rosenthal should be off limits.Taveras is making himself into a top notch prospect .Wong looks like the future at 2B. Cox shows signs of adapting at AAA.Adams has shown he can contribute at the big league level and somebody might be interested.I would prefer the Cards be able to obtain pitching by using some of the guys at the big league level now but i doubt that is able to happen.

A starting pitcher…a young under team control.Not a rental.

I agree that would be expensive, but won’t that be Miller/Rosenthal soon?

I think if I went after a starter, it would be another Jackson-type rental. I’d make relief a higher priority, though.

Wong might yield good talent in a trade. He has a bright future, yet the Cards have others who can play 2B (Descalso, G. Garcia, Kozma, Starlin-Rod, Luis Mateo, even Zack Cox and Colin Walsh possibly).

No trading Taveras, Rosenthal, or Miller.

Adams is tradeable, but we would need a lot in return.

I like Adams a lot. A power hitter who maintains a high average is valuable. Wong is good too. Mo is not going to give up either man unless we are getting value.

One problem is both Adams and Wong are better value than a lot of relievers. Relievers have modest trade value. Mo is not going to trade Wong or Adams unless we land a fine starting pitcher in return.

• kray66 says:

If we can get anything for Kozma I say “Bon Voyage!” Not sure what he’s doing in Memphis currently, but he was terrible in Springfield. I think he set a record for most consecutive games with errors or something similar a couple years ago.

• jabbott21 says:

I don’t see anybody on that list that is even close to on the level of Wong. Descalso is having a bad year offensively. Kozma is pretty much awful. Garcia probably fits best as a utility guy, much like Jermaine Curtis (who you neglected to mention). Mateo doesn’t excite me. Cox & Walsh are not very good defenders. That leaves Starlin Rodriguez. The only person on your list who MAY have the potential to be a solid all-around 2B in the future. I say that, but I haven’t even seen him play, not even when I watched minor league games at Spring Training. So all I know is that he has a pretty good bat. I know nothing of his glove. Of the six names provided, I would only protect Taveras ahead of Wong at this point due precisely to the opposite of your statement. I don’t believe the Cardinals have anybody on board to fill Wong’s shoes. I like Jermaine Curtis & Greg Garcia both as potential utility guys, the future Skip Schumaker if you will. Neither of them, however, have the All-Star potential that I see in Wong, IMO. Trade Adams to the AL, where he has the greatest value. I would probably part with Rosenthal ahead of Shelby. Zack Cox would be my top choice to trade, but only if he keeps mashing the ball all the way until the trade deadline and has reestablished his value.

Cox is not likely to garner a good return, so I would trade Adams instead.

I agree that we should go for relief help, but I sure would like to get Cole Hamels, though I imagine the price will be way too high.

I agree about Cox. A sputtering prospect with a big league contract. Maybe part of a package deal.

Phillies saying they would require 4 or 5 prospects for Hamels. Nope, no way, not for a rental.

There goes that dream.

• kray66 says:

Hamels does have ties to SW Missouri. Wife is from here, and he apparently has a large lake house down here as well. Not saying that would really influence anything, but it’s something I guess should be considered. I’ve been meaning to go to his charity casino night here every year but something always comes up.

5. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

The market and the business plan will dictate. It appears that Skip realizes his contract is vulnerable. Greene should be traded. That mixed with prospects will bring arms. Don’t forget. No cash involved. Mo likely already is having discussions. Lynn is headed to the Pen. Thats just business.

The number 1 Cardinal asset is Mike M…………….he will be protected with some activities which must have a little glamor to be effective. The guy is losing his team.

Mark M. talks a hell of a game. ……………… it seems clear that the summation of his philosophy as it is realized by the players, has some very rough edges. The league has adjusted. Its not going to get better. I’ve said this before. The league would conceded Holiday a 300 average in exchange for his promise to continue just hitting singles ….. way …way out in front……that appears to be signed in blood at this point… If Berkman can reenter……he will contribute so much,………and thats mainly because he is immune to McGwire “teaching” …..like Beltran…

• kray66 says:

What ……. the hell?……. A couple weeks ago…… you were ragging on Berkman for ……….. feigning retirement talk ……… to screw the Cardinals out of money ……….. Now you say ……….. he will “contribute so much”…………..

Your post is certainly offers some challenges 66…………even to the brightest of the bright…….
        I’m not really sure where/or how to pick it up to be honest……….. perhaps you could explain to me how Lance retiring……….would be screwing the Organization out of money? Don’t forget…..he is one of my favorite players………..

• kray66 says:

Read your own comments. Myself and several others attempted to understand what you were saying, but all agreed you seemed to think there was something fishy going on with the Berkman injury and his comments to the media.

I see where your coming from 66……. I re-read it………. Sometimes I scare myself………
            I will help you with that…….. Lance hurts knee…….the experienced LB has had several prior injuries and knows there “pains and sensations”………. The MRI suggests the meniscus is torn……It feels much worse to LB than that………… at that point LB begins to air “talks of retirement”……. what he is saying is that he will trade 10 million dollars for autonomy ……….on all manners concerning his career and the handling of surgical requirements and rehab prerogatives there in…………(he is a teammate of AP, having been through the wrist and elbow debacles)……. he offers all of this…….for his Autonomy….
            The Organization declines………..????????……. the surgery plays out……..LB was right that it felt worse ……..but only because of the torn tissue wedged in the joint……. the Cardinals except all that is now true and it consequences………. if you didn’t see that in the original……… you definitely won’t believe what I might say now………….. so I won’t…………….. how about that last paragraph predicting the Pujols rise and the Cardinals fall………… I surprise myself sometimes ………… Matheny is in a free fall right now ……… lets hope they support him with generous player additions………

Mo saw it all last year Westy. Now his co-pilot is gone. So is Tony. He knows there is nowhere to hide. He will have positioned himself well. Chummed the water. Now wait.

I agree 100% that as soon as LB felt the knee go his first thought was get me the f out of here. Now its fixed and he’s back in town. He’s a smart man. Mike should have met him at the airport spreading rose petals in his path.

You know that the “computer jockeys” that helped Mo select Carlos…………still work every day……….. mysterious algorithms I’d venture a guess…….. to say the least …………

• CariocaCardinal says:

Lynn headed to the pen – that says all one needs to know about Westie’s credibility.

CC, what happens if Mo acquires a starter and Garcia comes back? Lynn to the pen at some point seems plausible.

• jabbott21 says:

Not to mention the serious question regarding his innings pitched. Thankfully he rebounded some the other night against Colorado, but Lynn has been pretty clearly regressing in the three starts prior to that. Fatigue will likely become an issue at some point with Lance, although I hope I am wrong about that.

The last season Lynn was a starter was 2010. Between the regular season and playoffs that year, he threw over 180 innings. By the end, his velo was up and he had a record strikeout game in the post-season.

6. friendmouse says:

Moz has lots ot options, but if I’m him, any deal must include the other team taking Tyler Greene, along with another player or two. While not as “negative” in the clubhouse (hearsay, mind you) as Colby Rasmus, I see the situation similar…a young player with tons of talent who, for whatever reason, just under-performs with the Cardinals. It could be another win-win-win deal…Cards don’t have the need to “work him into” to lineups, T-Greene flourishes in the new environment, and the receiving team benefits from his talents.

If the Rockies have any self respect they will show up with paper bags over their heads having just got beat by Kip Wells.

8. kray66 says:

Wong and Taveras had another good night in Springfield. Wong went 3-3, RBI and 2 BB, Taveras went 2-4, 2 RBIs.

I’ll be interested to see how they hold up once they are out of the Texas League and facing AAA pitching. That’s also when we may get a better idea of everyday ML fieldig ability, and whether Wong can be the post-Furcal leadoff hitter.

How about they send Martinez up to Memphis and have him work out of the pen for a month. Then call him up for the stretch. Let him go back to starting next year with a ring on his finger.

I don’t like the Phillies and often wish Philly would break off and sink into the Atlantic. So I wouldn’t send anyone there in case it happens.

I’m hoping Mo wouldn’t trade Miller to a National League team, in case he pans out, or Martinez at all. Adams would be of most value in the AL.