Walton on Rob Rains radio show to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals

On Friday, I joined Rob Rains (without son and co-host) B.J. Rains on The Sports Zone Show on Sports Radio 1380 AM in St. Louis. Even if you are outside the St. Louis area, you can always catch the show’s live internet stream for free.

Our focus was on the decision that was facing the Cardinals as to the identity of their Sunday starter. As you’ll hear, I spent most of the time talking about Joe Kelly, who has since been selected by the club to make his MLB debut. We also covered Johan Santana’s no-hitter, which I attended one week ago today in New York, and briefly touched on the Cardinals’ draft before we ran out of time.

In addition to their weekday show from 1:00 to 3:00 P.M CDT, catch Rob’s writings at RobRains.com and B.J.’s daily beat coverage of the St. Louis Cardinals at FOXSportsMidwest.com.

Listen to audio: Brian Walton with Rob Rains (9:05)

23 Responses to “Walton on Rob Rains radio show to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals”

1. WesPowell says:

Okay you bunch of nuts. There’s a big softball out there. I guess I have to be the one to step up and swing. It’s a tough job but someone has to do it………………Two touchdowns ain’t gonna be enough most of the time, and we can’t give up any more frickin’ safeties.

2. WesPowell says:

Good question. You’d need those computers at ESPN for that stuff. It amazes me how quickly they announce something is first time ever.

3. WesPowell says:

So it’s 15 against the American League now, 9 at home. Bringing us close to mid-season. May have a clearer vision of where the season is headed after this.

I’t's a shame we don’t play the Rangers. See if we are still in their heads.

4. WesPowell says:

I swear that was unreal last year. Freese hit that triple to tie it and the homer to win it late in game 6.
    The Rangers show the gumption to come back and get 2 runs in the first inning of game 7. And Freese comes right back with a 2 run double in the bottom of the first. The TV coverage showed some close-ups of the Rangers right then and they were like WHAT THE F***.DO WE HAVE TO DO?

Ay ideas about the roster move when Kelly is added?

Linebrink to the 60-day DL or Chris Carpenter. Outrighting Hamilton is also possible.

Right. I keep forgetting Linebrink exists. If it were Hamilton it raises the interesting question of who gets brought up from Springfield. Or does Mo dumpster dive.

• CariocaCardinal says:

Linebrink released. Now there is a conspiracy for Westie to really look in to. It is curious though. They could have put him on the 60 day DL and it would have cost them the same. heck, Linebrink will now even put in a service time grievence for being released while on the DL. My guess is Cards think he was injured when signed and hid it from the team and they are not exactly on good terms at the moment with Mr. Linebrink and his agent. Of course better retribution would have been keeping him on the 60 day DL so he can’t sign elsewhere.

If it turns out Garcia is fine after a couple weeks rest I’ll eat my hat.

7. WesPowell says:

We just have to keep pumping water out of the boat and hope everyone is okay the last month and a half. It worked like a charm last year. And there is even one extra wildcard slot now.