Varied Cardinals weekend ahead in New York

Coming off another disappointing series with two out of three losses in Atlanta and mounting injuries (Jaime Garcia and Skip Schumaker being the latest), the St. Louis Cardinals move on to the Big Apple and start a fresh month in the process.

The upcoming four-game weekend series is a bit unusual in several aspects, including a different start time for each of the four contests, scheduled Friday through Monday. With Garcia missing a start due to elbow soreness, the other four starters move up, but still pitch on regular rest due to Thursday’s day off.

Here is the docket:

Date Cardinals starter Mets starter Time (CT) Television Out of market
Fri., June 1 Adam Wainwright (4-5, 4.45) Johan Santana (2-2, 2.75) 6:10 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest
Sat., June 2 Lance Lynn (8-1, 2.54) R.A. Dickey (7-1, 3.06) 3:10 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest
Sun., June 3 Jake Westbrook (4-4, 3.69) Jonathon Niese (3-2, 4.55) 7:05 p.m. ESPN
Mon., June 4 Kyle Lohse (5-1, 2.90) Jeremy Hefner (0-2, 6.17) 12:10 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest MLB Network

In terms of television, some dial-switching will be needed, with Mets series games on FOX Sports Midwest, the FOX Network (with its maddening blackouts outside of covered area), ESPN and MLB Network.

I am planning to work all four games at Citi Field, gathering material for several upcoming features on the main site as well as reporting on general team news for subscribers to The Cardinal Nation.

53 Responses to “Varied Cardinals weekend ahead in New York”

1. WesPowell says:

The team has done fine considering the injuries. Our record would even be fine if we had been totally healthy.
    Again it’s a simple matter of perspective. Last 12 years—-8 playoffs, 3 world series, 2 world titles, and another year in the national league championship series. 6 first place finishes in the division and 3 seconds. Average of over 90 wins a year. Nearly 250 games over .500 for the last 12 years. Only one year with a losing record. All but 2 of the 12 years were 10 games over or better. 7 of the 12 were 18 over or better. And two seasons of 100 or more wins.
    If you see anyone bitching real hard what they are evidently griping about is that we are not on top all of the time. Which is never going to happen anyhow. Might as well moan about the weather.

Baseball is different today, but had the Yankees been satisfied with a few championships, their dynasty would never have occurred.

In other words, I don’t see this as black and white. Yes, the Cards have been good, but I bet Mo and Matheny would be the first to agree they expect more. One can want to do better without it being considered bitching and moaning.

2. WesPowell says:

Always try to keep in mind that we have, recently, lived during, and watched, and rooted for the Saint Louis Cardinal franchise at it’s absolute peak of it’s storied and glorious history.

I disagree. The Cardinals of the 1940s were more dominant and the Gas House Gang could make an argument. Three World Series appearances in five years in the 1960s is also a strong case. Herzog had a pretty good run with three WS shots in six years. It will be very interesting to see how the Pujols era stands the test of time.

Absolutely disagree as well. So not true.

3. WesPowell says:

In the 1940s there were many less teams, the woirld series was the only round of the playoffs, and many of the players were in the damn army. It doesn’t compare at all. Not even in the same ballpark.

4. WesPowell says:

No. It is definite.

5. WesPowell says:

Not to mention it was whites only.

6. WesPowell says:

The race issue is a huge component that most people just overlook with–”different time, different era”…….Imagine taking all non whites out of baseball or any sport today. It would make it a big joke. So it was a big joke then too. Just an accepted joke.

Yes, Wes. We have the best players from all over the globe today, not just cozy circle of insiders. Baseball is massively more competitive today.

Another huge difference today is medicine and technology. Tommy John and other operations allow pitchers to have much longer careers. Technology like radar guns improves scouting and helps find the best talent.

Also the immense salaries give guys much more incentive to maintain their physical condition. Players can hire personal trainers and doctors. They can leave the country after the season and take lots of PEDs to buff their bods.

Baseball is vastly different than it used to be, more competitive, more exciting.

7. WesPowell says:

But I will concur that the 40′s was our peak of the small number of teams, one round of playoffs, whites only era.

8. WesPowell says:

Also I’ll point out for the record that I’m not Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. I’m white.

9. WesPowell says:

It’s not that hard to muster up the admission. We have had the privilege of living during the best of Cardinal times. And to remember that whenever we dish out the complaints.

10. WesPowell says:

However if the Mets sweep us, we need to cut some of the bums. Good evening.

Goold has tweeted that Garcia’s Tuesday start is in doubt now. So, now what? Of course, the Twitter faithful want Shelby brought up, but since he has been struggling, I personally think that is a bad idea. Joe Kelly has also been suggested. A 40 man spot would have to be opened up, so who goes? Hamilton? Kozma? Of will they just bring Dickson back up?

Yes, I was sitting there as well. MM said 6/5 is “not certain” for Jaime. He said there is always a Plan B, but of course didn’t share it. Dickson can’t be brought back up within 10 days unless someone goes on the DL. I doubt Miller is under any serious consideration.

Yes, I had forgotten about the ten day rule.

If the bullpen doesn’t continue to be shredded, I could even see a BP game. That seems unlikely right now.

P.S. My guess will depend on the seriousness of Garcia’s injury. Making a 40-man move for one spot start may not make sense. For a longer time out, perhaps. Then again, Dickson could make the following start if needed. The uncertainty will generate all kinds of made-for-internet intrigue in the interim.

Hit submit accidentally before I finished my post. So, unless Garcia or someone else goes on DL, if Garcia can’t make the start, who will? Scrabble? Seems unlikely to me, but no one else available on the current roster is there? Cleto and Reifer are relievers though Cleto was being groomed as a starter at one time wasn’t he?

Don’t mean to make this 20 questions, but I am just curious as to what Plan B is.

Beltran won’t be mistaken for Willy Mays. But of course niether he nor Craig should overdo it. The O over D thing again. Lets see what happens.

Time for me, Wes, or Bw to jump in here and jinx Santana. No hitter, no hitter, no hitter. There, that should put an end to this nonsense.

Santana is struggling, admirable.

So, was there a schedule change or something, because today’s game is not on Big Fox but on FSMW?

My mistake for not verifying the Cards media notes. As recently as last night, it showed this as a network game. When I arrived today, I realized the problem since Pat Parris greeted me.

The FOX Network window this week is the 7pm game. Apparently the Mets liked 4pm more than 1pm for their slot.

Sorry for the confusion. I updated the info above.

That’s OK, I don’t like the Fox broadcasts anyway.

Apparently there is some controversy with the NY media about the PD’s cover photo with the No-hitter* headline? There has been some spattering of it on Twitter, with some Mets fans angry at the Cardinals because of it. Have you heard anything like that?

I saw a few online squaks too, but I’ve heard nothing here at the ballpark. I am sitting behind the Mets media relations, official scorer, Elias, etc. Most of them are not here yet. The NY writers are at other end of the room.

Matheny said this to us a short while ago: “I was proud of our guys taking the high road.”

There are a few fans on Twitter still squawking about it, but for the most part everyone has moved on. Blown call or not, it still counts, so bitching isn’t going to accomplish anything. But I think getting angry because the PD pointed out what every other media outlet has also pointed out, is kind of silly. What did they expect? Really, if the shoe had been on the other foot, who in the NY media wouldn’t have done the same thing or worse?

Probably no umpire is going to call a hit on a ball like the one from Beltran. When a pitcher has a no hitter going, no ump in his right mind is going to want to take it away on a very borderline call. A ball would have to be very clearly on the fair side of the line, or most umpires are going to maintain the drama of the no-hitter. As they should, for the good of the game. Its hard to say it was a hit, even on instant replay.