Beltran’s big May continues

May has been a big month for St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, as he was already been named the NL Player of the Week for the period of May 6-13. The switch-hitter’s success continued on Wednesday night as he hit his National League-leading 14th home run and drove in two as his club swept San Diego.

Those two runs batted in are Beltran’s 25th and 26th of the month. That is most impressive, especially considering the right-fielder has been slowed by knee and foot ailments, which have limited him to 16 May starts and 21 games total.

With the help of researcher Tom Orf, we can put Beltran’s 26 RBI into Cardinals full-month May context.

The list that follows indicates 11 prior occurrences of more than 26 May RBI, led by none other than Stan Musial, who plated 40 in May 1954. Beltran’s current hitting coach, Mark McGwire, appears on the list the most times, three. The man’s whose offense Beltran was signed to help replace, Albert Pujols, was the most recent to exceed 26 in May, with 33 in 2006.

May RBI, St. Louis Cardinals, 1950-present

2012 Carlos Beltran 26
2008 Ryan Ludwick 26
2004 Scott Rolen 26
2003 Pujols 26
2001 J.D. Drew 26
1985 Clark 26

Reaching the top of this list isn’t entirely out of question for Beltran, as he still has seven games remaining to collect 14 additional RBI. That is an average of two per game, a pace not much greater than he is currently tracking.

10 Responses to “Beltran’s big May continues”

Berkman’s surgery postponed until tomorrow due to surgeon scheduling conflict.

I see that Boyer is well up on the May RBI list twice.

I got a chuckle out of a bit in Gordon’s column saying scouts saw Adams as another “thick catcher” lacking athleticism. I wonder if those were the wonks or the cigar chompers? Probably both, it’s a rather accurate description, in the same way Ruth would have been a thick pitcher . . .

From an earlier Gordon column:

The Blue Jays staff decided to move Colby up in the batters box so he wouldn’t have time to think so much. Ponder that for a moment. Maybe they are on to something.

Angels ‘Collateral damage’ from the Schmalbert acquisition includes eating $9M to dump Abreu who is doing well enough with the Dodgers, and reduced playing time for budding young hitters Trumbo and Morales, both of whom are outhitting the Scmal despite limited ABs. He probably could have also mentioned being in last place, but Gordo plays nice.

What’s the over/under on how many out of position, and/or utility guys in tonight’s lineup?

I’m going to the Memphis game Saturday night, so I will check on all the new talent and report back. ;) I think Shelby’s pitching so at least I will get to see at least one future Cardinal.

I’d like to see us win at least two of these games with Philly. I will only get to watch tonight’s because I am out of town this weekend. The Waino/Halladay match up should be interesting, but I will have to watch it on MLB.TV later on.

Yes, Miller is scheduled to pitch on Saturday. Looking forward to your report.

A report would be great, and maybe some of your pictures.

I’d be interested in your impression of contract boy Cox who is stinking it up at the plate and has about a dozen errors. Maybe Jackson, too.

Have fun. Are you bringing hop-a-long again?

No, she of the broken foot lives in Florida. Another friend who lives here in Jeff City is going.

I will be sure to observe Mr. Cox and Mr. Jackson carefully. I am taking pictures.

4. Nutlaw says:

Rather crazy game so far tonight. 7-7 in the fifth does not make one encouraged about anyone’s pitching.

The good news is we’re 3 1/2 games better than the Astros. So I don’t even want to think about the bad news.

The Schmal cranked another one and he’s only .005 shy of his weight. For some strange reason, I’m pulling for him.

Mo needs to bring up Mikail Cleto to help our bullpen.