Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Hitting the road

St. Louis Cardinals weekly chat on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines.

Late Friday afternoon, I joined Ken Miller and Jim Brinson on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in another installment of this year’s series to discuss the St. Louis Cardinals, “Cardinal Talk.”

Cardinals followers in central Iowa can again catch Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO as well as my segment each Friday afternoon throughout the season, either over the air or via streaming. My appearances are sponsored by WCI Pools and Spas,

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Ken Miller and Jim Brinson (8:09)

26 Responses to “Cardinal talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Hitting the road”

Saturday lineup:

1. Rafael Furcal (S) SS
    2. Jon Jay (L) CF
    3. Matt Holliday (R) LF
    4. Carlos Beltran (S) RF
    5. David Freese (R) 3B
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Daniel Descalso (L) 2B
    8. Matt Carpenter (L) 1B
    9. Jaime Garcia (L) P

A first baseman batting eighth is no good. Too bad we don’t have anybody with more stick to fill in for Lance.

It is good to have some stability at the top of the order.

We are going to score runs tonight and we have improve defensively at 3 positions.

I do not see the point of pitching low and inside to Johnson when the bases are loaded and you are already ahead in the count 0-2. The grand slam gave Norris confidence and deflated the Birds.

Houston won emphatically tonight and looked the better team. Ugh.

• Nutlaw says:

Yeah. Makes you feel sick, huh?

Houston was horrible last year, but already Luhnow seems to have perked them up a bit. Lowrie looks like a good hitting SS.

While they say Garcia was supposed to throw a grass-cutter, what are they doing in there at all, with the bases loaded, a short left field fence, and a batter primed for something to pull? Throw it outside and keep the batter in the ballpark.

Norris has killed the Cards for years, so you do not want to give him even more confidence. Garcia has a much better home ERA than road.

Jay is playing great. I am relieved he did not suffer a more serious injury back when he ran full tilt into a wall. We dodged a bullet there and hopefully Jon learned a lesson and will not do that again.

Pictures from the Springfield game tonight. Wong made a couple of nifty plays but was Ofer at the plate. Cards won 4-2.

St. Louis, on the other hand………….sad. I won’t watch this one. Grand slam to Chris Johnson, come on Jaime.

4. Nutlaw says:

Oh. I just noticed that Colorado called up Ottavino yesterday to serve as middle relief. Good luck to him!

So I go to STLtoday.com to read about last night’s game because I missed it, and what do I see on the front page? TWO articles about Pujols. This is getting ridiculous.

• T8Ball says:

You caught Burwell’s article?

I understand what he’s getting at, but I don’t think he has a leg to stand on personally. I remember reading 2 or 3 articles from him this off season calling for the Mo and BDW2 to pay Albert w/e he wanted. It seems like Burwell has a stake in the race. A better article, IMO, would have been “Mo and BDW2 seem to have gotten it correct, so far”

I didn’t read any of the articles. In fact, I haven’t read a single article about Pujols written in the PD. I am not interested.

• T8Ball says:

It was a chastisement of fans sentiment towards Albert and his struggles.

I thought it thick and inappropriate from him of all people. Again there is an element out there that revels in Albert’s struggles, but it was going to happen no matter what. There’s an element that documents Colby’s progress in Toronto and even a handful that follow Brendan’s sub .150 in Seattle.

Yes, many Cardinals fans seemed to be a little too obsessed with former Cardinals they are mad at. I find it a little annoying, but I don’t say much, because they don’t like to have their grudges interfered with. And in all honesty, I’m not squeaky clean on that front, as I do occasionally slip in a remark about TLR, though I only do it here, mainly because I’m just a little devilish. ;) But, I am finding it less and less interesting to talk about TLR now that’s he’s gone and it really doesn’t accomplish anything anyway.

• T8Ball says:

He buried a “so far so good for the Cards”, but followed it up with a paragraph dedicated to “watching the FO closely and where the money saved goes”

Burwell is a douche.

Adam Wainwright stays in touch with Albert via texts. Adam says Albert is just a man, not a machine. Just because Albert has worked very hard for years and has achieved great results in the past does not ensure that he can maintain this level every year. Because putting aside contracts and uniforms, like all players, Albert is human and mortal.

I didn’t read the articles, either, but the general obsession over a single home run is pretty ridiculous. So what when he does hit one? He has a month of slump-ridden numbers to compensate.

6. T8Ball says:

Here’s to Waino shutting down the Stros. Carlos Lee is the only player with enough of a sample size to matter against Waino. He’s mustered 3 hits in 25plus AB’s.

Happ is hittable especially vs. our batters.

Need to salvage a win to avoid the brooms.

I’m going to miss today’s game too. I will be traveling back home this afternoon.

• T8Ball says:

How was Springfield? Blazek looks to have had a good game from what I read.

It was a good game. Blazek gave up a HR in the first inning, and after that he was pretty much lights outs. Kolten Wong made a couple of really good plays at 2B, but didn’t do anything at the plate. It was the first time I have gotten to see Wong or Taveras play.