Cardinals minor league spring training notebook: 03/30

On Friday, the Cardinals’ two lower-level clubs, Palm Beach and Quad Cities, traveled to the New York Mets’ home at Port St. Lucie while Memphis and Springfield remained home at the Roger Dean Stadium complex to face the Mets’ Triple-A and Double-A clubs.

It was the Cardinals first sweep of the spring as all four clubs claimed wins on the day. The Cardinals’ spring record against external minor league competition improved to 21-16-4.

Friday’s Player of the Day: Springfield’s Xavier Scruggs had seven total bases with a triple and home run in three at-bats, plated three and even added a walk. The right-handed slugger has 62 home runs in four pro seasons, but just five triples.

Friday’s Pitcher of the Day: Springfield’s Seth Maness yielded four hits and no walks in five shutout innings. The right-hander was a New York-Penn League All-Star, then pitched for Palm Beach and Quad Cities last season, his first as a professional.

As he has been doing the last few seasons, Cardinals farm director John Vuch is sharing game stats with this site and several others with interest in Cardinals prospects. As always, the raw numbers are his, but the comments mine.

On Saturday, the Cardinals have yet another camp day, their sixth of the spring. Memphis will face Springfield while Palm Beach and Quad Cities will match up on the George Kissell Quad behind Roger Dean.

The Cardinal Nation subscribers can check out the full minor league schedule and spring training working rosters. The entire system view by level and position is available via the Roster Matrix, right here at The Cardinal Nation Blog.

Memphis 2, Buffalo 1

Steven Hill 1 1

Springfield 4, Binghamton 2

Springfield pitching IP H ER BB K Notes
Seth Maness 5 4 0 0 2 Moved quickly in 2011 rookie year
Kevin Thomas 2 1 0 2 One unearned run
Jorge Rondon 1 1 1 1 57:46 K:BB ratio in 11 bet. PB and Spr
Eric Fornataro 1 1 0 1 5th in system in IP last season (144.2)

Springfield hitting AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB Notes

Jesus Montero 3 2 C batted .276 for Johnson City last year
David Medina 3 2 2 2 7th in system with .382 OBP in 2011
Tyler Rahmatulla 3 1 Having nice spring
Colin Walsh 1
Anthony Garcia 3 1 1 1 Ranked #22 on our top 40 prospect list
Roberto De La Cruz 1 3B will see time at 1B and in OF in 2012

Subscribers to the main site, TheCardinalNation.com, should continue to check out my extensive spring training content over the upcoming days. Today’s addition is a 25-minute in-depth interview with John Vuch.

26 Responses to “Cardinals minor league spring training notebook: 03/30”

So what’s the story on Adam Melker, they guy that hit the double in the 9th inning yesterday? Is he good?

He certainly had a Friday to remember! Shannon called it a home run far over the fence, but then determined it hit off the top of the wall instead. It has been a very windy spring.

I didn’t hear the Shannon call because I was looking at Gameday on my phone in an auditorium during a band contest, so my phone was on silent. I just saw the “Adam Melker doubles” and my first thought was that Gameday had messed up and typed in a Mets player name. My next thought after realizing it wasn’t a mistake was who the heck was Adam Melker. I knew it had to be a minor leaguer that had just been tossed in the game, but it was someone I had never heard of.

I guess he must not be a top Cardinals prospect or I would have heard someone talk about him. But you’re right, I bet it’s a moment he’ll never forget.

• friendmouse says:

Yeah, I was listening when Shannon made that call…kind of reminiscent of the way I remember Harry Carray making you think a homer had been hit…”It’s way back, way back, it might be outta here, it could be, it might be, and it’s caught by the right fielder (just short of the track!).” Shannon said, to John Rooney, “What happened?” Funny stuff.

2. friendmouse says:

Admittedly, I haven’t followed a lot of your posts on these Minor league notes, but how’s the Rasmus kid doing? I haven’t heard anything. Just curious. Isn’t he a catcher?

I’m sure happy with the way Westbrook is pitching! Go, Cards!!

3. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

I see the long range planners are at work again with Swaggerty……………..since we’ve already been through all this here, I won’t labor the point………. It concerns about millions of dollars though……… BD/Mo doesn’t miss much …………….. how many variables in play can we name here?

“Johnson said this week that he was honored to follow Angels owner Arte Moreno as a minority owner . . . ”

• CariocaCardinal says:

I’m sure Jordan Swagerty would be amused to find out that his elbow surgery is part of some imagined conspiracy be WCBW and Bill DeWitt. Sorry Westie, no insurance on minor league bonuses. And since this surgery will make it harder for BDW to insure this player in the future (and thus play the insurance bet you seem to think he is always doing) it makes no sense that there is much in play here.

But if there are variables in play here I would argue that they are lunacy, absurdness, wild imagination, fantasy, and probably a few others on the part of some posters.

Ever time you open your mouth ……………….. you realize every conceivable miss interpretation imaginable ……………. I’m sure Jordan would be amused ……………. What do you know about insurance???????????????? you argued just a few years ago that it didn’t even exist……………. Not only will his rehab keep him from influencing the Miller entry next year……….it will also stagger his availability very nicely for a mid 2013 of more likely a 2014 entry……………. and his insurance…. when it is required………..will be less expensive…………. the concern is over the stresses that cause “bone spurs” in the first place…….which often begin to form in much earlier age……. Bd saved millions in career developing expenses……………. because he could…………….. he tried that in 2010 with AP and was turned down………..AP countered the insinuation “famously” prior to 2011………….. I wonder what he had in mind there………………….. you are on the bench still so stop dogging my posts……………

Westie and Carioca, how about taking the high road in 2012? You do not have to be pals, but there is no reason to pummel one another.

Westie, Swaggerty is probably going to enter the majors in due course as a reliever, so he is unlikely to be a factor in Miller’s arrival. Swagerty is having an operation now, because it makes sense, based on the condition of his elbow. If there were other reasons, the Cards could get sued and reasonably so.

• CariocaCardinal says:

Oh my God, the dreaded bench!

Please explain how doing a necessary surgery saves millions in development expense.

I challenge you to dig up in the beloved archives where I claim insurance didn’t exist.

Please inform the masses how this will make his insurance less expensive – other than the fact they will no longer cover his elbow.

The staggering issue might have merit except that it just causes a staggering issue down the line with Rosenthal, Martinez and Jenkins. I doubt Swagerty was going to start for the Cardinals anyway. He most likely would be traded or being heading to the bullpen given our team makeup and upcoming prospects.

I’m a proponent of proactive TJ surgery so I’m not overly disappointed by this.

Good that Stanley has explained what happened, an energy drink. Nobody knows what goes into such things. Now he has learned to be careful, because all kinds of molecules might get thrown into the mix, in an undisclosed way.
      Ryan Braun was very likely consciously pumped up with steroids. It was the playoffs and lots of guys get loaded. But he is a star and somehow was able to beat the rap on a technicality.
      Cody Stanley, on the other hand, is just a kid and he is going to do time for something he did not knowingly ingest. Its a good lesson for him. Be cautious about what you ingest, when your urine is getting analyzed. And don’t accept every sales pitch you read on the Internet.

Marilyn admits she is not an expert on pharmaceuticals. Here is a legal lesson. The FDA regulates molecules sold for pharmaceutical context, but not for other possible purposes. If the same molecule is not advertised as serving a medicinal purpose, then it may be legal for other uses. Add it to an “energy drink” for instance. Provided the particular molecule is not identified and advertised like a pharmaceutical as treating an ailment for which it has been tested as safe and effective, then this undisclosed use is (probably) outside the scope of the FDA and legal.

It may be unethical or questionable, but not illegal. After all, what is an “energy drink”? Who knows? Its a nebulous concept, a product ripe for mischief and chicanery. Like a Fountain of Youth, in a bottle. If someone advertises a mysterious product that will pep you up or extend your life, the seller is preying on hope or naivete.

You will pardon me Jumbo, if I don’t take your word for it about the FDA’s jurisdiction. You may be right, but I will take my legal lessons from someone who can show me a law license.

You had or have a license, but you do not know the answer, so the having of a license seems irrelevant to the issue. What matters is understanding, on this we can agree.

For any processed food, who are the food police who chemically analyze each ingredient and authorize their use? I doubt these police exist, whereas you may assume they do. If a seller puts a poisonous dose of something in the product and someone dies and the police and coroner investigate and determine the poison, then the seller could be charged with manslaughter, etc. This provides a deterrent against putting highly poisonous ingredients in a product.

But if a molecule is not very poisonous, then it could be put into something vague and undefined, like an energy drink. Nobody dies, so there is not murder charge for the seller. The person taking the energy drink gets a buzz of some kind and hopes this means he or she is feeling more peppy. Throw in some molecules that are bioactive, because pharmaceuticals. But dont disclose what they are or advertise the energy drink as a medicine, because this could get the seller into trouble with the FDA or selling a pharmaceutical without proper approval. My guess is that would be legal. Its called innovation or free enterprise. Invent a product (an energy drink), advertise it (using Jon Hamm), and make some money.

The only person who loses is a nice kid who wants to improve himself and make his way in the world, Cody Stanley. The energy drink maker will be fine. The Mad Men will be fine. And Cody learned a little lesson. So everybody is fine.

I didn’t say you were wrong Jumbo, I merely said I am not taking your word for it because you have not given me any credentials on which to base your supposed expertise on the matter. If you want to argue about a particular point, that is fine, just don’t tell a lawyer you are giving her “legal lessons” unless you can produce proof you have the license to practice law, especially when you have admitted you don’t know the answer for sure either.

4. T8Ball says:

Just an observation, but it sure is wild and wacky in here today. Tough to wade through the arrogance.

Informative rant, CRD. Enjoyed the read.

5. T8Ball says:

Brian, thanks for adding the column of notes next to each minor league performance. It adds life to an otherwise typical boxscore. I’ve really enjoyed reading these daily MiLSTnotebooks.

Ottavino and Kopp could latch on with other teams. Both have the pitches to contribute in the majors as relievers.