Cardinals minor league spring training notebook: 03/24

On Saturday, the St. Louis Cardinals had four minor league clubs in action, two at home and two away. Memphis and Springfield traveled to Port St. Lucie (as did the major leaguers) while the Mets’ two Class-A clubs bused to Jupiter.

The top two clubs won while the lower level clubs absorbed losses. The Cardinals spring record against external minor league competition is now 9-11-3.

Saturday’s Player of the Day: Springfield’s Alan Ahmady went 2-for-4, both doubles, and drove in three runs.

Saturday’s Pitcher of the Day: After impressing in major league camp, Springfield right-hander Trevor Rosenthal is continuing strongly. He had a perfect trip through the Mets lineup, retiring all nine batters he faced, six via the strikeout.

As he has been doing the last few seasons, Cardinals farm director John Vuch is sharing game stats with this site and several others with interest in Cardinals prospects. As always, the raw numbers are his, but the comments mine.

Don’t read too much into which rosters on which players are appearing as spring assignments are especially fluid.

On Sunday, the Cardinals once again have a camp day, during which their teams play each other. This is due to the odd number of total teams in the vicinity (three).

The Cardinal Nation subscribers can check out the full minor league schedule and spring training working rosters. The entire system view by level and position is available via the Roster Matrix, right here at The Cardinal Nation Blog.

Memphis 7, Buffalo 5

Memphis pitching IP H ER BB K Notes
Michael Blazek 4 4 0 2 2 Three unearned runs tainted solid outing
Chuckie Fick 0.2 1 1 2 Added to 40-man roster last fall
Logan Billbrough 1.2 2 1 2 2
Maikel Cleto 1 0 0 1 1 Much better outing than two days ago
Tyler Melling 1 2

Memphis hitting AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB Notes
Allen Craig 1 1 Rehab continues to include long balls
Mike O’Neill 3 2 2
Jermaine Curtis 3 2 2 1 Batted .370 in the second half of 2011
Chris Swauger 3 1 2 1 .296 BA last season was 7th-best in Texas Lg.
Xavier Scruggs 1

Quad Cities pitching IP H ER BB K Notes
Tyrell Jenkins 4 7 3 1 2 Was on both Johnson City title teams, 2010-2011
Hector Hernandez 4 1 0 3 4 One baserunner and one strikeout per inning
Kyle Hald 2 2 2 Cards Pitcher of Month last August

Quad Cities hitting AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB Notes
Gerwuins Velazco 3 2 Just 2 errors in 30 games catching in 11
Anthony Garcia 2 1 .407 OBP last season 5th-best in Appy Lg.
Jeremy Patton 2 1 1 30 walks against just 28 strikeouts last year
Roberto DeLaCruz 2 1 1 5th in Appy League in total bases in 2011
Kleininger Teran 1
Steven Ramos 1

Subscribers to the main site, TheCardinalNation.com, should continue to check out my extensive spring training content over the upcoming days.

24 Responses to “Cardinals minor league spring training notebook: 03/24”

What are the likeliest potential weaknesses in the 2012 version of the Cards?
    I would guess the starting pitching. Wainwright is coming back from injury, Westbrook had an off year in 2011, its hard to think Lohse will pitch as effectively as last year, Lynn is a rookie who will do well to have an ERA under 5, and its hard to know how many innings Garcia can eat.

• T8Ball says:

- Reliable offensive depth from the infield, particularly the middle infield.

- Game Longevity from our Starting Rotation. Will we get any starter over 210 IP? The BP will taxed. Lynn needs to eat innings, and at a greater rate than KMac did last season. Garcia and Westbrook need to go more than 210 IP, IMO.

- Where are the RH bats????? Reliable ones?????

- Pick one ~ A not quite ready Allen Craig, or a good to go Allen Craig (his knee is 100% and can play effectively in the field). I think we might get the not quite ready Allen Craig. While better than the alternatives, it may hinder us when another OF is needed.

I was going to post a wager as to how long it would take Lohse to give up a homerun, but I didn’t make it here fast enough.

3. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

………………………………………………………………………………….. say what??????

Descalso leading off looks good.

“Thursday night at Salt River Fields, Moyer took a quantum leap toward making the Rockies’ rotation by throwing four perfect innings against the Giants in a 7-0 Rockies victory.

Should Moyer make the rotation, and should he win a regular-season game, he would become the oldest pitcher to ever win a big-league game . . . ”

So, with Schumaker starting the season on the DL the Cards have 5 open bench spots, correct?

Whomever of Descalso/Greene doesn’t get the starting 2B spot will get one, Craig if he doesn’t hit the DL for opening day will get one, backup C will get one, so that leaves 2. I would go with 2 of these three—MCarp, Komatsu, or Robinson. I am leaning toward MCarp and Komatsu. Adams needs to play in Memphis so I am not on that bandwagon.

I forgot Chambers, he would be in the group too, but I would still go with MCarp and Komatsu.

• Nutlaw says:

I’m pretty thrilled that the Cards ditched Hill and Cora. I was worried that they might drag around the corpse of the latter for a few months, but I guess that without TLR, they don’t feel the need to roster terrible players for their veteran status any more.

Only one backup infielder in Descalso/Greene probably won’t happen. Looks like Matt Carpenter gets a spot for now. I would be very pleased to see that!

I’m guessing that Komatsu gets the last OF spot, given that Robinson or Chambers could always be brought up later. Same logic with Linebrink and Sanchez, even though Sanchez was probably the better pitcher. Makes sense.

• Nutlaw says:

Hrm. Of course, Allen Craig now becomes third on the 2nd base depth chart until Schumaker comes back…

Shane Robinson probably makes this squad, as well as Matt Carpenter and Bryan Anderson. I would DL Craig, as well as Carp and Skip, and go with a healthy Komatsu. If Craig needs a pinch-runner, we cannot afford him.

It makes sense to give Hill and Cora their freedom. We can always find them again, if needed.

It would be an amazing achievement by Matt Carpenter to go from a $1,000 bonus in June 2009, to the majors in 2.5 years.

• T8Ball says:

Anderson makes it? Hey, I’m not knocking you, but I think Matheny will ultimately side with his pitchers and go with Cruz. Plus with MC making the team, Cruz gives you a much needed RH bat on the bench, though he’s the backup catcher and PH isn’t a priority for them. Hmmm, so Anderson might make it, but I doubt it. I’ll eat crow if he does, Jumbo.

As it appears I am the only person who couldn’t care less about the NCAA tournament and am thus spending my afternoon on this blog talking to myself, here is a link to a cute story. Don’t let that it’s on Deadspin keep you from reading it because it’s clever.

• Kansasbirdman says:

Been in Texas, back to civilization today (not a knock on TX, just describing the seclusion on the ranch that I was staying at) so saw that story on the net. Poor Oscar. Hopefully, if all goes according to plan no baseball fan will not know is name.

Perusing the matrix I noticed Valez still there. I had forgotten he exists. Hitting a blistering .111 or so.

Sanchez must not be on the block. He’ll be back as soon as Mo moves somebody. For something.

I’m ready to get the party started.

• CariocaCardinal says:

Velez can be sent to the minors without the $100K guarantee and automatic freedom on June 1st that Cora gets as veteran FA.

That is factual, but I really doubt that Cora would have remained in the minors until 6/1 anyway. My guess is that the Cards agreed with Boras when he signed to let him go if he didn’t make the team from the start. Cora hasn’t spent any non-rehab time in the minors in over a decade. Why would he go now? My bet is that he retires at age 36.