TLR may bleed Dodger blue if Cohen has enough green

Ever since Tony La Russa announced his retirement as manager of the St. Louis Cardinals last fall, I have wondered what he wanted to do. Though the 67-year-old has done some work for MLB commissioner Bud Selig, it seemed he was still looking for something.

We may have received the answer on Wednesday evening when several media outlets identified what La Russa’s next job may be. It would be quite a step up as he may be the president-in-waiting of the Los Angeles Dodgers – if hedge-fund billionaire Steve Cohen is selected as the winning bidder.

The LA Times has a different view, noting that La Russa and Cohen met last week in Arizona, but suggesting that agent Arn Tellem would be team president with La Russa potentially in charge of baseball operations.

Among the many additional details mentioned in this USA Today article by Bob Nightengale is a belief that La Russa has no interest in becoming a general manager. The Nightengale piece is one of the sources suggesting team president would be TLR’s new gig. After all, isn’t being in charge of baseball operations just is a fancy term for GM?

Speculation earlier in the winter was that La Russa was Selig’s preference to replace Major League Baseball vice president Joe Torre, but later La Russa apparently passed. Ironically, ex-Dodgers manager Torre resigned from MLB to participate in another group bidding to purchase the team, one that has since been eliminated from consideration.

In fact, the original 23 bidders for the Dodgers have been narrowed down to just four. Along with Cohen, Rams owner Stan Kroenke is one of them.

Outgoing owner Frank McCourt will select the winner next month once MLB owners approve the finalists next week.

36 Responses to “TLR may bleed Dodger blue if Cohen has enough green”

1. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Outgoing owner Frank McCourt will select the winner next month once MLB owners approve the finalists next week…………………………………………… does that seem plausible? Since he’s being forced out…….isn’t there a little conflict of interest…………wouldn’t he encourage a little gratuity from “who ever wants to win the lottery”………………

No question Tony is fit as a fiddle and ready for something…………………………………. right?

• CariocaCardinal says:

How about a $1 billion + gratuity? It is after all his team to sell.

• T8Ball says:

There goes the Tony, Dave, Yadi reunion in Chicago.

The hills that constitute Chavez Ravine are worth 10 Billion $……………. that is no stadium lease package…………thats the whole ball of wax………… its a good investment……………..for that reason alone……… Tony is game for big activities ……….we will see what they are ……….. if I was into marketing a team ……..Tony would be the last guy I would call ………… give it some thought? Tony is staying in the thick of things…….Dave is still insured……… and the times they are a changing ………. Greene is burning down …………… I’m curious to see how much protection/exposure they use in getting him to the season ……………….. I sure hope the kid finds himself ………..

Besides the opening day rotation, and Carp, there is only one starter left in camp. That is Rosenthal, a Quad Cities guy. What’s up with that?

It has been pointed out elsewhere that Anderson is not getting much love for a guy who raked at Memphis last year. Can’t he do some fill in at 1B? If so, wouldn’t he be a better back up catcher than Cruz until Craig comes back? I’d like to see a bigger bat backing up Lance until Craig is ready, and understand that is end of April/early May. Or would MM do something crazy like use Molina to relieve Lance with Cruz behing the plate?

I hope TLR does becomes a part of the Dodger. Less chance he will ever come near the Cardinals again.

I usually find at least one or two bits of new/usefull info in the Joe Strauss chats. But I just read through yesterday’s chat and there is absolutly nothing at all. There were a couple questions asked that might have yielded something but he chose to duck them. So why didn’t he just take the day off and not waste everybody’s time. Completely worthless.

I get the sense that Joe the Tool is not getting the access with Matheny that he got with TLR. Joe will never admit that, so he will duck questions rather than admit he doesn’t know, because Joe has to maintain the illusion that he is the God among Cardinals beat writers. Joe’s ego is everything.

You guys are funny…………….. what is it that you think is exposed now in Cardinal activities…….considering that the Tony/Albert maneuvering is over………………. Mo/BD would like to win……….. now they have to figure out how……………profitably………. with minimal liability ………. the war zone has been moved now to the baseball field………. Joe spills lots of goodies ………but there isn’t much to see or hear …………… The money Vets are waiting their time ………… shortening their seasons………….. they are seeing if Cora is the patch they need for all their ills? 1st base today…..That suggests they don’t want to stigmatize Descalso at this point ……………. if Greene goes mental….who knows ……………….. I think you informed watchers need to keep this in mind…………… Mo/BD have no track record……they may be well intentioned at this point……… but they may get their butts kicked….. time will tell………….. their team is fraught with question marks …….. not even about talent…… Freese, Beltran, Puma, Holiday, Carpenter………. all fragile….all expensive to replace……it might almost appear that they are preparing the public for their backups…….out of the organization….for what might come to pass…………… lets pray for good health……..and that Mott reestablishes himself…………………not a done deal………

• friendmouse says:

Holliday…fragile…oxymorons. Since the ’05 season, Matt Holliday has, on average, played in over 149 games per year.
          I have little doubt Motte will re-establish himself, although I’m sure there will be a few speed bumps along the way…don’t expect perfection.
          And I’m with you, Westie…we SHOULD all be praying for good health! :)
          Ed Sanchez will be an All-Star someday.
          I REALLY like the way K-Loh is pitching thus far this Spring!

• friendmouse says:

Well, I DID like the way K-Loh was pitching until the 4th inning today. He does surrender his un-fair share of HR’s. Boston has some very good players; it’ll be interesting to see how “Mr. Feb. 14″ does with this team. I hope they miss the playoffs altogether. Again.

• CariocaCardinal says:

why would Motte need to reestablish himself? When did he unestablish himself?

• Bw52 says:

So how does your comment fit with your earlier statement about abusing people? Since you have a major dislike for JS……………………..?

I hope everybody got a belly laugh out of that one. :)

Do you think my “abuse” would make him cry? :) :) :)

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn-so how`s your anti-TLR campaign going? About as good as your Tyler Greene daily diatribe?

TLR is gone so I don’t exert myself too much over him anymore. I have no idea what you are talking about with Tyler Greene. I haven’t said anything but neutral or positive things about Tyler Greene in a very long time. I wasn’t high on him at one time, but I decided a long time ago to give him a chance. Really BW you really need to be more updated with your rants against me.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn-Just like yanking your chain.IMO Cards needs Greene to fill a role this year………….speedy RH bat who can play SS okay and 2B adequately.Darn near every other backup bats lefty.Unless Velez shows something?

Just in case anyone is worried about the Cards depth, the Nationals depth chart shows Mark DeRosa the backup at 5 positions. Stop worrying.

The Cards chart shows Greene starting at 2B. Shows Cruz backing up Yadi. The rotation is Wainy, Carp, Lohse, Garcia, Westbrook. I know. Means nothing right now. But they had to put down something and thats what they put. BTW, Komatsu is not on there.

No offense to anyone, honestly, but why should we care about the opinion of an anonymous person who updates the Cardinals web page?

I take it your assumption that the ‘opinion’ is uninformed is only a guess. The idea that the org allows somebody to post content on the official website without regard to accuracy seems unlikely.

What I meant by ‘means nothing’ is that it is likely to change by opening day. I know of no reason to think that what is on the site is not the official current thinking.

“Accuracy” and “uniformed” are your words, not mine. Someone is likely interpreting what he/she sees and posting it. This isn’t like college football where the coach releases a formal depth chart to the media. In other words, there is nothing to measure “accuracy” against. If you want to attach an “official” label to it just because it is posted on MLB.com, that is your right. I don’t and won’t.

P.S. The fact that Komatsu, an official member of the 40-man roster, is not even listed, should tell you all you need to know. If the club broke camp today, he would likely be on the 25-man roster. If you want to look at well thought out depth charts, I recommend MLBDepthCharts.com. They have all 30 teams and seem to spend a lot of time focusing on it. Of course, they are not official, either.

Thanks for mentioning mlbdepthcharts.com. Wasn’t familiar with it. I’ll have to be critical of your comments more often. :)

There is a whole new brand of Organizational ” electives” approaching. I’m curious to see what they decide………..I fully expect to see a few moves coming up……….. do they follow baseball logic ….or do they follow their investment sensibilities…………… taking a loss on a player speculation is part of the game…………….. are they playing?