If your cable or satellite package has the MSG Network, you’ll want to tune into the channel on Sunday night at 10 P.M. Eastern. MSG’s series “The Lineup” will feature a series titled “Hits & Errors – The Best and Worst Deals in New York Baseball,’’ starting with the Mets.
Among panelists analyzing the top five trades in New York history are none other than agent Scott Boras and retired St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa. The moderator is former Mets catcher Fran Healy and author Dave Kaplan also participates.
No word on whether Boras and La Russa will be packing information binders. The agent is known for thick dossiers selling the virtues of his free agents, while La Russa relied on Dave Duncan and his binders stuffed with pitching and hitting information for over three decades.
Sadly, one of the featured trades during the special involved the Cardinals, that being Keith Hernandez’ acquisition by the Mets in 1983. Back in 2006, I ranked the trade, in which the Cardinals received pitchers Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey, as the second-worst deal made by St. Louis in the last 40 years.
The series continues for seven additional nights through Sunday, March 18 with these subjects: “Mets Best Trades, “Yankees Best Trades,” “Worst Trades – Yankees and Mets,” “Yankees Best Free Agent,” “Mets Best Free Agent,” Yankees Worst Free Agent,” and “Mets Worst Free Agent.” The final episode will feature the panel discussing the current state of the game.
Full schedule details (all times Eastern).
* Sunday, March 11: “Mets Best Trades” (10:00 p.m.)
* Monday, March 12: “Yankees Best Trades” (11:00 p.m.)
* Tuesday, March 13: “Worst Trades – Mets & Yankees (10:30 p.m.)
* Wednesday, March 14: “Yankees Best Free Agent” (10:30 p.m.)
* Thursday, March 15: “Mets Best Free Agent” (10:00 p.m.)
* Friday, March 16: “Yankees Worst Free Agent” (10:30 p.m.)
* Saturday, March 17: “Mets Worst Free Agent” (10:00 p.m.)
* Sunday, March 18: “The State of Baseball” (9:30 p.m.)
Check out the following preview of the first episode.