Brock named to College Baseball Hall of Fame

This has been a big week for St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Famer Lou Brock. Along with preparing for his annual coaching stint in spring training camp in Jupiter, Fla., the 72-year-old opened the Cardinals exhibit at the Clinton Museum in Little Rock Friday night.

Friday also brought a new career honor for the former outfielder as he was one of seven players and coaches elected to the National College Baseball Hall of Fame’s class of 2012. The announcement was made by the College Baseball Foundation with selection criteria based only on nominees’ collegiate careers.

Brock starred for Southern University in Baton Rouge from 1958-1960. He earned a scholarship in his sophomore year and was named All-Southwestern Athletic Conference. In 1959, Brock led Southern to the NAIA championship with a .536 average and then competed for the United States team in the Pan-Am Games. In 1960, he hit .351 and stole 18 bases before receiving a $30,000 bonus for signing with the Chicago Cubs.

27 years after becoming just the 15th player to be named to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility, Brock will now join the College Hall as well. He was previously named to at least three state-oriented sports Halls in Louisiana (1983), Missouri (1992) and Arkansas (1995).

Other 2012 College Baseball Hall inductees include ex-players Nomar Garciaparra (Georgia Tech), Brad Wilkerson (Florida) and Tim Jorgensen (Wisconsin-Oshkosh) plus three coaches: Ed Cheff (Lewis-Clark State), Frank Sancet (Arizona) and Wayne Graham (Rice).

Current members of the Hall include these individuals who later went on to become St. Louis Cardinals players, managers or executives: Dick Groat, Branch Rickey, Will Clark and Bob Horner.

This year’s group of inductees will be honored during a weekend of festivities June 29-30 at the College Baseball Hall of Fame in Lubbock, Tex.

8 Responses to “Brock named to College Baseball Hall of Fame”

A list of 13 ML players who played for the Southern Jaguars.
    In addition to the celebrated Brock, Ricky Weeks has been successful for the Brewers and was a high draft pick.
    IIRC, Danny Goodwin may have been drafted first in the nation, but did not enjoy a lot of later ML success.

Today’s intrasquad lineups:

4.David Freese (3B)/Zack Cox
    5.Yadier Molina (DH)/Steven Hill
    6.Matt Adams (1B)
    7.Shane Robinson (CF)
    8.Koyie Hill (C)/Robert Stock
    9.Ryan Jackson (SS)

I’m assuming Komatsu is (RF) for team Red. I cut and pasted this from Langosch’s blog.

Her name is spelled wrong in the blogroll below, by the way.

Game canceled due to rain. Thanks for typo correction.

• friendmouse says:

I think the Red team would have won.
        I wonder…did we ever play Intrasquad games 50 years ago? If so (and I imagine we may have), I wonder if we used designated hitters then, too? I doubt it. My point? I think you know. Even a rock-solid, National League traditional team like the Cardinals are “devolving” into adopting some of the ways of our weaker Junior Circuit foes little by little. I understand that, hey, it’s just a meaningless intra-squad, spring training game, and we need to get some at-bats for our position players, and why risk an injury to a pitcher, ala A.J. Burnette, for no reason. I said I understand. But this “incrementalism” will, at some point, make it very, very difficult for us to someday make a credible argument that the dh is stupid, and should not be a part of the game. Just sayin’. It’s comin’. And I hate it.

After 40 years of opposing the DH, I have given up. With the increase of interleague games next season, standardization has become more important to me than doing it right. As fm noted, this genie isn’t ever going back into the bottle, so MLB needs to get off the fence.

There were six catchers scheduled to participate in the intrasquad, but Cruz not among them.

Does anybody know what pitchers had been scheduled?

3. friendmouse says:

Lou Brock was a great, great baseball player. And knowing that he was only the 15th player (at the time) to be inducted into the HoF in his first year of eligibility swells my confidence in the credibility of the Baseball Writers who vote. They were oh, so right. Good on ya, Lou!