Cardinals exhibit coming to Clinton Museum

The William J. Clinton Presidential Library and Museum is planning a new exhibit called “Play Ball! The St. Louis Cardinals.” The announcement was first made via their Twitter feed and Facebook page. The exhibit will cover most of the 2012 baseball season, running from March 3 through September 16.

Though there are no documented reports of the 42nd President of the United States attending a Cardinals contest while in office from 1993-2001, he listened to the St. Louis Cardinals on the radio while growing up in Arkansas and has remained a strong supporter of the national pastime.

As documented in the attached photo, Clinton attended a Cardinals-New York Mets game at Shea Stadium on August 22, 2006, visiting the St. Louis clubhouse. (I was also working that game, though I did not come into contact with Clinton.) “I’m so old, I remember Harry Caray calling the Cardinal games,” Clinton cracked at the time. Earlier, in February 1993, the President was presented with a Cardinals jacket during an appearance at St. Louis’ Union Station.

His wife Hillary grew up as a Chicago Cubs fan. An Illinois native, Ms. Clinton is the current Secretary of State. She added American League allegiance to the Yankees in 1999 when preparing for her successful run for one of the New York seats in the US Senate.

Opened in 2004, the Clinton Library and Museum is located in Little Rock, Arkansas within the Clinton Presidential Center and Park, along with the University of Arkansas Clinton School of Public Service, and the Little Rock offices of the Clinton Foundation.

In addition to Clinton’s archival collection and research facilities, the Clinton Presidential Library and Museum features exhibits, special events and educational programs. The museum includes replicas of the Oval Office and the Cabinet Room.

Updates: Some basic information can be seen here about the 100-item exhibit and several special limited-time artifacts. They include the World Series trophies from 2006 and 2011, World Series rings, and a newly-restored Stan Musial uniform.

Baseball Hall of Famer and Arkansas native Lou Brock will speak at the exhibit’s grand opening on Friday, March 2. The grand opening program and reception are free, however, reservations are required. RSVP to 501-748-0425 or by emailing operationslr@clintonfoundation.org.

13 Responses to “Cardinals exhibit coming to Clinton Museum”

1. Kansasbirdman says:

BB I am back from Texas. I didn’t get a hog, but my mates did. I put all my eggs in one basket so to speak as I was trying to get one with a bow and they didn’t want to be in the same spot I would set up. I did bring the video camera, but sadly there was nothing to tape. Oh, well, I will head back in late March to give it another go. I need some pork for the smoker to cook for the games starting in April, nothing is better than bbq and beer while watching a game :-)

If I was a Cubs fan, heaven forbid, I would gladly adopt the Yankees. I understand Hillary’s outlook on this point.

Roy Oswalt wants too much money, for our wallet, so remains unsigned. This is what happens when you spend vigorously on Beltran and Furcal, the money runs out for others.
    Reigning Executive of the Year, Mo, is feeling opportunistic. Mo is on the prowl for bargains. Mo found one to rival last years discovery of lefty Tallet (who proved worthless). This year’s discovery is Cora. We needed a niche infielder to provide depth behind Furcal, Greene, Descalso, and M Carpenter, and to mentor Jackson, Garcia, and Kozma, while riding the pines for Memphis. Mo hit the sweet spot by landing Cora.

But wait, I forgot, we already have Eugenio Velez. Cora is competition for Velez, a spring training battle for the ages. The one that loses out will justly earn the title, the biggest loser. Cora has already announced retirement from winter ball in Puerto Rico, but he wants to collect money during 2012, so has not yet hung up the spikes.

Its smart to stockpile a major league middle infield glove. Skip could end up filling a hole in the outfield, Descalso could end up filling a hole at third. Furcal could get gimpy, Tyler could stumble. We could end up with Velez and Cora turning DPs. MM could try PH7.

The Clinton Museum has shared this: “Our next exhibit, “Play Ball” will feature items such as the 2006 World Series trophy, championship rings, & Ark native Dizzy Dean’s Jersey!” Looks like some of the warehoused Cardinals Museum collection is going on the road.

Plenty of fans down there. Ray Winder Field RIP.

• Kansasbirdman says:

Dizzy was picked up (moved to the major league team) after our GM took in a game and then met him in the hotel in Shawnee, Oklahoma where he played minor ball. The GM was none other than uber GM Branch Rickey. My brother now lives in Shawnee. :-)

They don’t have cigar chomping GMs taking in games to see prospects anymore. They don’t even have cigar chomping GMs. Bespecktacled spritzer sippers poring over the 1s and 0s. Out pops a WS trophy.

Let’s hope Mo’s new wonks are even better than the crusty old wonks he foisted off on Houston.

See update appended to bottom of original post regarding some of the items on exhibit and the special speaker for the grand opening.