Cardinals players on Twitter – January 2012 update

It has been six months since my last update of St. Louis Cardinals major and minor league players with a presence on Twitter. In other words, in Twitter time, about half a generation has transpired in the interim.

As you might imagine, the list has grown substantially, to the point it currently numbers 55 players. At least these are the ones of which I am aware. (Feel free to check back, as I am sure to be reminded of several that I inadvertently forgot and informed of others.)

A number of the players are anxious to gain more followers, so if you are interested, their names and ids follow. Several others are just the opposite, protecting their tweets, so don’t be offended if they don’t respond to your follow request. Some are far less active tweeting than others, so you’ll have to decide what is best for you.

I can’t guarantee your baseball IQ will increase substantially as a result, as this group is like any other cross section of individuals on Twitter. Some content is interesting, some is typical banter between friends and certain tweets are frankly a bit off the wall.

Yet, within the last two days, the excitement of players such as Tyrell Jenkins, Joe Kelly and Nick Greenwood radiated through their tweets as they announced receiving invitations to major league spring training camp and accepted congratulations from others.

The players are organized below by the level at which they ended the 2011 regular season. The active links for many of the names will take you to their stats pages at Baseball-Reference.com.

Twitter id Player

TyrellJenkins14 Tyrell Jenkins

Gulf Coast League cbrand17 Cole Brand

DanteBryant92 Anthony Bryant

Iam_BigDodd Corderious Dodd

stuivailala Sam Tuiavailala

On military duty Cardinals15 Mitchell Harris

Remember the roster matrix: Exclusively here at The Cardinal Nation Blog, you can view every player in the entire Cardinals system by level and position, kept current all year long. Click here or you can always access current as well as past matrices from the “Players/Staff” > “Depth Charts/Roster Matrix” dropdown on the menu bar at the top of this page.

13 Responses to “Cardinals players on Twitter – January 2012 update”

I was having trouble figuring out the point of the article. Then it hit me, its not about baseball.

The thing that isn’t appreciated is that ‘it’ can be about different things to different people. To me, it is about baseball.

• Nutlaw says:

I’m with the author when he points out teams who are turning profits and still not increasing payroll. I’m with him on scamming communities into paying for stadiums.

I don’t agree so much when he takes it a step farther and suggests that teams can afford to pay players more because the team owners are rich. I mean, sure, I guess that someone could buy a team, run it in the red, and make up the difference from their own fortune … but why would anyone intentionally do that?

• Nutlaw says:

Also, one can celebrate their team’s GM for finding bargains regardless of whether his budget is decided by his owner’s whim or financial limitations. Unless that same owner can otherwise be squeezed for more money, a team’s budget is all they have with which to put together a competitive team.

Most GMs who give out terrible contracts aren’t rewarded with more money to throw away in search of a championship.

Strauss said something smart.

“Puma’s mobility does not equal Albert’s, so the hole between first and second base will grow.”

The point being that somebody with enough range the last couple years, like Skip or Descalso, may not have enough range now.

To me, that is only half the question. To be complete, one has to consider the 1B’s range to the right plus the 2B’s range to the left. When one plugs in Descalso over Skip, the Pujols-Berkman 1B difference is diminished. Whether it will be enough remains to be seen. It may signal one reason behind the apparent end of Skip as the everyday 2B starter. (I say all this off the top of my head without having looked at range factors.)

Good point about Skip. In hindsight, perhaps TLR should get some credit for recognizing a way to benefit from Albert’s fielding range.

I don’t think I have heard Descalso’s range at 2B described as more than adequate. And some questioned even that until his good play at 3B made it unpopular. But, of course 3B is reaction rather than range, so now the discussion is getting back on point. And once his bat went cold a lot of the shine went off him.

My hope is that Greene will adapt to the right side, and adapt to the bigs sans Tony. Other than that, get Wang up here, chop chop.

2. qcfan12 says:

I know of at least one of my quad cities boys you left out is Packy Elkins

Thanks, qcfan12. I added Packy above. I also included Yadier Molina. When his id first appeared some months ago, I wasn’t sure if it was legit, then forgot about it. Now, he has 15,000 followers. Yadi, not Packy, that is… ;-)

Brian, Jon Jay tweeted to someone a couple of weeks ago that Yadi is NOT on Twitter. I think that account is a fake.

OK, thanks. Off he goes then. Joe Strauss said same.

FWIW, most celebrities have their ids validated by Twitter. The fake Molina’s is not. 15,000 followers will be disappointed. Make that 14,999 as I am unfollowing it after having signed up today.

At MLB Trade Rumors, it was mentioned Bud Selig makes $22MM per year. If true, he is way overpaid.