World Series DVD Set trivia: Home-grown heroes

Correctly answer a multi-part St. Louis Cardinals post-season-related trivia question and win a free 2011 World Series DVD Set from The Cardinal Nation Blog.

Welcome to the next in our series of 2011 St. Louis Cardinals-related post-season trivia questions here at The Cardinal Nation Blog. Before responding, please familiarize yourself with the complete contest rules (follow the link) to ensure your entry will qualify.

The reader who posts the first complete and correct answer below will win a free copy of The 2011 World Series Champions Collectors Edition DVD Set. This eight-disc collection from A+E Networks Home Entertainment/MLB Productions includes all seven complete World Series games plus a bonus DVD full of great extras and retails for $71.99.

Here is your trivia question. Note that it has multiple parts, all of which must be answered correctly. Only one answer per person is allowed.

How many players active in the 2011 post-season have spent their entire professional regular-season careers to-date in the Cardinals organization AND who are they?

Good luck to everyone and please remember to read the rules first.

20 Responses to “World Series DVD Set trivia: Home-grown heroes”

1. LarryBird says:

Skip Schumaker
    Yadier Molina
    Jon Jay
    Allen Craig
    Adron Chambers
    Lance Lynn

Congratulations! CariocaCardinal is the winner, though he receives a small demerit for misspelling “Jaime.” ;-)

David Freese was acquired in trade from San Diego for Jim Edmonds in December 2008.

Fernando Salas is not home-grown, either. He pitched for Saltillo of the Mexican League during the 2005 and 2006 regular seasons plus three games in 2007 before St. Louis purchased his contract on April 5, 2007. You can see his Mexican League stats on his minor league page at baseball-reference.com.

• CariocaCardinal says:

I share that demerit (but not the prize :) ) with the Hoosier Hick as I just copied and pasted his list and took off Salas.

I also feel some remorse for Alligator (but not too much :) ) as my reading of the question left it unclear whether you were talking major league regular seasons or all regular seasons including those in the minors. As I knew Alligator had it won if it was just major league regular seasons I took a stab at what it should be if it included minor league regular seasons.

The question could been rendered even more specific, but by definition, “professional” baseball is both the major and minor leagues. The latter includes the Mexican League. Further, the use of the word “organization” also is considered to include both majors and minors.

• Alligator says:

Ha yup, that’s how I took it. Knew Freese wasn’t entirely homegrown. Never would’ve gotten Salas though. Good q.

Thanks. Yes, “homegrown” was another identifier that signaled minor leagues were included.

Anyway, a side point of perhaps moderate interest. In advance, I had prepared a pretty long list of potential trivia questions and ran them by nutlaw to get his take. (Obviously, he is ineligible to compete in the contests.) This is the one question that caused the most discussion as he tried to suggest that winter leagues might count. I did not accept that, but added “regular season” to the question specifically to satisfy his concern.

4. bizzy15 says:

Mitchell Boggs, Jaime Garcia, Lance Lynn, Kyle McClellan, Jason Motte, Fernando Salas – 6
    Yadier Molina, Albert Pujols, Skip Schumaker, Allen Craig, Dan Descalso, Jon Jay, Adron Chambers – 7

13..

Jason Motte
    Lance Lynn
    Mitchell Boggs
    Skip Schumaker
    Jon Jay

6. LarryBird says:

I should have read the question a little closer.entire professional and I was just thinking MLB organizations:( I knew Salas played in the Mexican League. Your welcome CariocaCardinal. Copy and paste is a great tool:)
    Thanks for the chance Brian.

When you step back and think about it, it is pretty impressive that almost half the post-season roster consisted of players drafted and developed by the Cardinals.

8. CardinalFan4Ever says:

Well Albert, been nice getting to watch you play every summer for the past 11 or so years.

Go have fun with the Angels.

My kids are going to be heartbroken, but baseball is a business I guess.

I am so glad the Cardinals did not dish out a 10 yr contract on a soon to be 32 yr old first baseman, no matter how great he is., but I sure loved watching him play every day.
    Sad day indeed, but I am still a Cardinal fan and always will be.