Former Cardinal P.J. Walters welcomes newborn

Though he is now a free agent, former St. Louis Cardinals pitcher P.J. Walters remains a member of the extended family. Speaking of family, his has grown by one with the birth of his child one week ago today.

Phillip DeWayne Walters III, to be known forever as Tripp, came into the world on Monday, October 24. The healthy son of P.J. and his wife Brittney was 7 pounds, 12 ounces and 21 inches long at birth. The Walters’ first-born, Annabelle, passed away in April 2010.

On the subject of baseball, Walters’ agent is in discussions with multiple organizations with two said to be most aggressive in their interest in signing him to a 2012 contract. The 26-year-old right-hander, traded to Toronto in July, became a free agent after being removed from the Jays’ 40-man roster.

Congratulations to all the members of the Walters clan and best wishes in the future.

69 Responses to “Former Cardinal P.J. Walters welcomes newborn”

1. RCWarrior says:

Really happy for PJ and his mom and pops. Phillip, PJ’s dad, and I played together at Enterprise JC way back and if I remember correctly, PJ was born in Dothan because Enterprise didn’t have a hospital. I remember Phillip holding baby PJ back in those days and it is cool to now see PJ with Tripp. Many of you don’t know the Walters family so let me tell you they are great people and this youngster, Tripp, is now the apple of their collective eyes. Man its good to see. I can tell you that there is no way that Tripp can avoid being spoiled rotten. And let me tell you there is nothing wrong with that. :)

Congratulations to PJ and his family. Great news.

Being born in October is awesome. :)

Just heard TLR is retiring. Wow. Color me stunned.

4. CariocaCardinal says:

Cunning move by PJ to time this to make the sympathy play for the team to vote him a larger WS share :)

5. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

“I think it was a pretty big surprise,” starter Chris Carpenter said. “I think a lot of people were caught off guard. Knowing Tony as long as I have, I know that he wasn’t going to change his mind and there had to be a reason for it.”

Mozeliak said whoever the new manager is deserves “some autonomy when it comes to putting his staff together.”

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/article_043e8a28-03ca-11e1-8e4b-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1cNUUg9E1

The beauty of a quality assassin…….. when he finds his prey already in the embrace of the reaper…… kisses his forehead and backs into the shadows……….

Best wishes to TLR. He will look good in the red jacket. I’m sure Bill will get #10 up on the wall extra quick. Maybe he’ll ride around will Stan on opening day and throw out the first pitch.

Is there any statement from Albert on Tony’s retirement? If he signs up quick he help pick the new guy.

Also, so far I haven’t seen Matt Holliday in any of the parade/festivities photos. Must have kept a low profile.

Cards have two type A FAs, Albert and Dotel. CC Sabathia outranks Albert.

8. friendmouse says:

My guess is that Albert will be asked to approve the list of possible Managers. :)
    I’m sure there are numerous players who now are not so optimistic about their future with the Cardinals. My first thought is Skip Schumaker…I love the guy and think he is invaluable to the team, and I believe TLR felt the same way. But, the “new guy” may decide Skip is not a good fit for his managerial style. I hope I’m wrong, and Schumaker remains a Cardinal for many, many years.

I’ve been gone a while…but RC, did you win big? I was thinking you had a nice wager on the Cards winning the WS with some pretty nice odds? Good on ya’, if that’s so!

And yes, Westie…you called it. Brilliant!! Tell me it was NOT a lucky guess. Some may contend that, as the saying goes, you throw enough (spit-wads) at the wall, some will surely stick. Not me.

• CariocaCardinal says:

Spit-wads? I was associating what Westie throws against the wall with something a little less cooth. :)

• Kansasbirdman says:

I love skip, he’s a battler. I too hope he stays, and Dave Duncan too

• RCWarrior says:

Friend, I actually wagered $5000 on the Cardinals winning the pennant at +625 and sadly I only wagered $500 on the Cardinals winning the World Series at +2000. Both were winners but Man if I’d only had the guts to go with the big bet on the World Series. Still was able to purchase a nice toy with my winnings. I liked the team from the jump when they added Berkman but I bet before Waino was lost and most likely wouldn’t have done it had I had a redo after the UCL news came out. :)

For those in StL, I just taped an interview with KSDK Newschannel 5 that will air during the 4PM newscast today. It may also be on the 5PM and 6PM shows, too. Not sure about that, though…

10. Kansasbirdman says:

So!?! Let the speculation begin! Who is it going to be? Oquendo, Francona, Madden(I don’t think his contract is up), T. Pendleton?

Word is TLR told Mo in Aug that he was strongly considering retirement. I wonder if the bad feelings I have for him will outweigh the good as time goes by. He and the Team gave me some great memories this year!

Btw is Freese’s contract up? I didn’t think it was, but I keep hearing it is.

11. CardinalFan4Ever says:

It just doesn’t seem like there is a lot of names for manager out there to really get excited about right now. Would much rather see someone experienced instead of some first timer.
    Just some names I am tossing around in my head…

Bochy- This is not my first choice (although I like him), but his contract is up (option for 2012 I believe). This might be who the Cards are targeting?
    Maddon- probably the best of the bunch (IMO), but the Rays would probably want some high quailty compensaion to get him.
    Francona- Couldn’t keep the Sox together, why would he be good here?
    Leyland-Won’t happen but really like the way he manages.
    Gardenhire-Signed through 2013

Any others?

• Bw52 says:

CF4ever-How about Jim Riggleman?

• CardinalFan4Ever says:

Never have been a big fan of Riggleman BW. Now the only thoughts I have on him is the label quitter.
        Why in the world would you quit in the middle of a season on a team? Heck, TLR and Mo didn’t have the warmest of relationships and that is at least one thing you can say about TLR, he never quit on any of the teams he managed.

Just my opinion.

• RCWarrior says:

Riggleman is a knowledgable baseball guy but is also a good person. This puts him high up there in my eyes.

Him quitting imo was a result of the organization not doing what they said they were going to do and not appreciating the fact that the team was on the rise. Business is business so he left the team and that team subsequently died on the vine.

• RCWarrior says:

To me it would be like asking Albert to come back to the Cardinals on a one year deal because the Cardinals don’t want to give him a long term deal…..and he should take the one year deal because he loves his team. Obviously Albert wouldn’t do that and Jim felt the same way………I deserve a long term deal and if you don’t think I’m worth one then I need to move on.

12. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Yes………..I do know who the new coach is likely to be……… yes………I do know where AP likely ends up…………and for how much………….. I just wrote that all down……with the most elaborate/clever/witty……….intellectual over-speak I’ve every used here………but I dropped the mouse while I was making an attempt at proof reading it…….which I never do of course…….and it just disappeared into cyberspace…………..Karma………… in essence I was just calling everyone stupid I think…..which seems inappropriate somehow…. I’m kind of losing my appetite for this forum its seems….I do not see/sense the changes here that I had hoped for………I really don’t/can’t see a point in this activity at present………. best wishes to all…..

• Kansasbirdman says:

Nice, and well said. I too have gotten to spend more time watching cardinal baseball this year. I got a little more disposable income to attend games and get “cable” tv and a dvr. I think following this team from spring training, the ups and downs has made this year a blast. Still unbelievable, so many great story lines.

What a day.Congrats to the Walters family.Many Happy trails to TLR and family.Color me stunned.Just say no to Oquendo.Say yes to Jim Riggleman.

14. Nutlaw says:

Interesting, if unsurprising comments from Duncan:

Great move by TLR. He became ready to leave, so there was no reason to hang around merely to become the second winningest manager of all time. Records are ultimately unfulfilling.

Lots of changes to come.

“Albert would stay if (Jose) Oquendo got the job,” Eckstein told FOXSports.com on Monday.”

I keep hoping somebody will get reation from Brendan and Colby. And Ozzie.

Speaking of Ozzie, we will likely be seeing more of him now that Tony’s gone.

• RCWarrior says:

I can’t imagine what people would expect any of those guys to say. My advice to Colby would be to not comment about it because he would not be able to hide his hatred for Tony. And in the end it really doesn’t matter. Whats done is done. On to act two.

It comes down to this…….those guys were not guys who fit into Tony’s style of managing. The kicker is Tony is a great great manager when he has the type of players that he works best with. This year proved that fact.

Based upon what I hear on a daily basis on Twitter and a few other internet sites, they would be expected to say, “I am not worthy of the greatness of TLR, just shoot me now”.

What I find amazing is the amount of love and adoration coming from people that just a week ago were calling TLR every name in the book. The amount of hypocrisy is staggering. Don’t break your neck looking the other way.

• RCWarrior says:

Tony is a brilliant, innovative manager. There is no denying that fact. If Tony liked you then you have every right to adore him….but if you were a person he chose to dislike then you probably hate his guts. If he disliked you he tried everything in his power to humiliate you in public as well as in front of your teammates. Colby feels like Tony tried to make him a worse ballplayer, and won’t hear any talk to the contrary.

So if you like him you really like him but if you dislike him you’d most likely rather rip his head off over taking another breath.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn-Is that like the people saying Brendan Ryan is the slickest fielding SS in baseball?The same people who griped abouts Brendan`s screwups and spaced out moments and total ineptitude at the plate in 2010 for the Cards?And then there are thoase that can`t let go and still jab the needle at Tony.

BW, you would be happy to hear that in at least the last two days, I appear to be the only person on Twitter who doesn’t believe TLR should be canonized. No one is jabbing at Tony. I’m not even doing it but that is because I am not a hypocrite so I have just been keeping my mouth shut.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn-as you know when somebody leaves,retires ,dies etc; their accomplishments are named and glorified and talked about ,rehashed and etc;.Everybody get made out to be a better person when they leave.It just happens that way.No biggie.The haters are gonna hate no matter what.All i want now is the Cards to pick a manager and decide what to do about Albert.

You know BW, it is not all the faux lovey dovey stuff that bothers me. If they can do that with a straight face and don’t care what a fool it makes them look like, more power to them,. Expressing sentiments I don’t feel because I think it will make me look better to others, is just not in my DNA. I do get sick of the people who can’t accept that I don’t see things the same way they do and feel like they have to call me out for it. If they don’t like what I say on Twitter, unfollow me. If they don’t like what I say in the blog, don’t read it. I’m not going to change my opinion just because they don’t like it and I am not going to stop expressing it either. Deal with it.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn-back off your high horse lady.Your opinion matters not one iota more than anyone else`s opinion.You are just one of many on this forum who has a opinion.You tell people to not read your opinion if they don`t like it;well guess what ………………….you have the same choice you tell other people………….i will not stop expressing my opinion and you will have to just deal with it.

• RCWarrior says:

My take on what Crdswmn said BW is that she respects TLR for his accomplishments but doesn’t feel like she should change her opinion of the man solely on the fact that he is retiring, and feels that many have turned into chamelions since Tony retired. In other words, they hated him last week but love him this week……only because he is retiring and feel like they should be nice to him.

And my take is she was speaking about the people on twitter.

• Bw52 says:

RCW-she has her opinion and we all know what that is.Good for her.I was just saying that its normal for people to at least act like they had some decent feelings toward the person leaving etc;.If thats being hyocritical then all of us wear that shoe except her.

I was speaking about the people on Twitter. Which is why I used the term “they” instead of “you”.

I don’t believe my opinion is more valuable than anyone else’s. I don’t want people to stop expressing their opinion. I just want people to stop insisting that I stop expressing mine.

Calm down BW.

• RCWarrior says:

Well BW, Brendan is in Seattle because Tony wanted him out….and I say, so what? Brendan didn’t fit in with Tony and needed to be somewhere else. If you asked any of the guys who have been dealt in public they would probably all give you the Bull Durham quote in regards to Tony. But if you asked them behind closed doors they are all glad to be rid of him. And thats not Tony’s fault. Tony is who he is, you just can’t jam people down his throat that don’t fit what he wants.

So Tony is the reason Brendan is gone. No reason to argue that.

Brendan is gone because he had a poor hitting 2010 and teams do not want to stand pat.
              Teams trade players all the time, to fine tune their rosters. It does not mean anybody hates Colby or Brendan. For instance, we loved Jim Edmonds, but traded him for a kid none of us had heard of, Freese.

• Bw52 says:

BB-Ozzie who? As for the other 2.Enjoy Seattle and Toronto and watching the playoffs on TV every year.

• RCWarrior says:

My take exactly BW, make your millions and enjoy the cooler weather. Everybody that works doesn’t win the company vacation to Hawaii every year but there are many that don’t win it that are happy as a pig in slop anyway. :)

52, I was talking about Ozzie Smith. He made himself scarce for about a decade and had suggested he’d be around more once Tony was gone.

RC, I get your point about it being wise for Colby to just not say anything. Same for Brendan. There’s no glory shooting somebody in the back as they ride off into the sunset.

• Bw52 says:

BB-I know who you were talking about.It wouldn`t bother me if Ozzie made himself scare for another 20 years.

• Nutlaw says:

Really? Why is that?

• Bw52 says:

Nutlaw-because IM0 Ozzie thought he was bigger than the team.Ozzie`s ego refused to admit that he was not the player he thought he was.ozzie has been ticked off since reality knocked on his shoulder.Some players realize when its time and some don`t.Ozzie blames TLR and there have been hard feelings ever since.So after years of being a bitter Ozzie i could care less if he ever showed his face .

It was Walt who brought in Royce Clayton for 1996 and put Ozzie on the bench. It was a team decision to go with a much younger SS.
                I agree with Bw. Ozzie had many years to put things in perspective and to realize nobody plays forever and to cheer up.
                In due time, all players get replaced. Its graceful to accept this fate.

I’d like to see Maloney and Matheny on the coaching staff next year. Move Warner up to AAA.

Not that I have anything against Tony’s coaches.

I wouldn’t have a problem with Oquendo or Pettini or Maloney getting the job. Don’t know if any of them would be successful, but wouldn’t mind seeing them give it a try. Wouldn’t mind seeing Dunc take a stab either.

I also wonder if Big Mac will want to stay on.