More on Pujols’ World Series Game 3 hitting marks

Earlier, I posted a recap of St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols’ offensive accomplishments in Game 3 of the 2011 World Series. Following are tables showing the other player names on three additional lists which Pujols joined Saturday night.

Pujols joined Paul Molitor as the only players to have five hits in a World Series game.

Most hits, post-season game, MLB history

Player Date Series Gm# Tm Opp Rslt Score H
Albert Pujols 10/22/2011 WS 3 STL TEX W 16-7 5
Carl Crawford 10/14/2008 ALCS 4 TBR BOS W 13-4 5
Derek Jeter 10/3/2006 ALDS 1 NYY DET W 8-4 5
Hideki Matsui 10/16/2004 ALCS 3 NYY BOS W 19-8 5
Mike Stanley 10/10/1999 ALDS 4 BOS CLE W 23-7 5
Marquis Grissom 10/7/1995 NLDS 4 ATL COL W 10-4 5
Paul Molitor 10/12/1982 WS 1 MIL STL W 10-0 5
Paul Blair 10/6/1969 ALCS 3 BAL MIN W 11-2 5

Pujols is only the second player to ever log 14 total bases in a post-season game and the first to do so in the World Series. He is on this list twice as the result of his 10 total bases in Game 2 on this NLCS vs. Milwaukee.

Most total bases, post-season game, MLB history

Rk Total Bases Date Series Gm# Tm Opp Rslt Score H 2B 3B HR TB
T14 Lenny Dykstra 10/20/1993 WS 4 PHI TOR L 14-15 3 1 0 2 10
T14 Dave Henderson 10/27/1989 WS 3 OAK SFG W 13-7 3 1 0 2 10
T14 Gary Carter 10/22/1986 WS 4 NYM BOS W 6-2 3 1 0 2 10
T14 Steve Garvey 10/9/1974 NLCS 4 LAD PIT W 12-1 4 0 0 2 10
T14 Paul Blair 10/6/1969 ALCS 3 BAL MIN W 11-2 5 2 0 1 10
T14 Duke Snider 10/2/1955 WS 5 BRO NYY W 5-3 3 1 0 2 10

The only four players with more RBI in a post-season contest than Pujols’ six on Saturday night each collected seven during three different American League Division Series in the mid-1990s.

Most RBI, post-season game, MLB history

Johnny Damon 10/20/2004 ALCS 7 BOS NYY W 10-3 6
Aramis Ramirez 10/11/2003 NLCS 4 CHC FLA W 8-3 6
Omar Vizquel 10/13/2001 ALDS 3 CLE SEA W 17-2 6
Bernie Williams 10/5/1999 ALDS 1 NYY TEX W 8-0 6
Will Clark 10/4/1989 NLCS 1 SFG CHC W 11-3 6
Bobby Richardson 10/8/1960 WS 3 NYY PIT W 10-0 6

Thanks to researcher Tom Orf for these tables.

65 Responses to “More on Pujols’ World Series Game 3 hitting marks”

Jackson walked 2 in the first, but escaped with only 1 run allowed.

Did not like seeing Holland hit 95. Thats good for a lefty.

7 walks. Maybe its time for a new pitcher. Good job by Jackson.

Valiant job by Jackson. Boggs, one pitch, ugh. Napoli is a good hitter.

Holland has been super.

Walks were the killers. Nothing wrong with giving up a HR, but two walks before it, are hurtful.

Down 4, might as well bring in Westbrook.

6. Nutlaw says:

What happened to last night’s offense?

Clearly, they wore themselves out circling the bases last night. They should be nice and rested for tomorrow night after this.

Obvioiusly Holland did a damn good job on the Cards bats tonite.Seems to happen to the Cards at least once in every WS.

• Kansasbirdman says:

It has kinda been a reoccurrring theme this year that when a pitcher has been struggling in the recent prior games that they go out and have the game of their life against our lineup. My theoryy was that they had to really get psyched-up before facing our hitters. Hope it’s not that we were getting too comfortable. I am glad that our other theme this year is that this team never gives up. If we keep trading games W L W L… we end up on top. (K.o.w.)

• RCWarrior says:

I don’t think that this series will go more than 2 more games. I believe the Cardinals offense will be too much for the pitchers the rangers will send to the mound the rest of the way.

• Bw52 says:

RCW-Holliday,Furcal,Yadi and Albert along with Jay all need to get going tonite.Albert is 0-10 in the other 3 series games so getting him to the plate with chances to drive in runs is crucial.The Cards simply can`t rely on Cards to throw a gem everytime out.Give Carp some room for error.

• RCWarrior says:

Well it would be much easier on the fan to watch the blowouts but imo Carp’s cutter is a pitch that will continue to beat the Rangers badly. Texas is a pull oriented hitting team and they will struggle at trying to pull that cutter imo. Now if Carp isn’t locating well then the Rangers may score some runs but I don’t look for that to be the case. Carp should be real good and I don’t think CJ can hold the Cardinals to under 5 runs.

Jay is on fumes and I’m not expecting much out of him offensively at this point. He has been solid in CF which is good enough at this point. Furcal to me is much the same, solid defense with a hit every now and again so I’m just hoping he stays solid on defense.

Holliday, Albert and Yadi will be ok imo tonight against CJ so they along with Lance should be able to string together some hits. I would guess that you will see a breaking ball type of attack by CJ. The problem he has is that he can’t go the 95 mph heater like Holland can.

Cards have a serious advantage tonight.

We can thank Ron Washington for not using Holland before Game 4. He was overpowering.

• Kansasbirdman says:

Yeah, hope we don’t see last night’s holland again. We seem to have a little trouble against lefties and slumping pitchers. He was throwing pretty good stuff, but he was also helped out by consistently getting the inside call that many times was arguably off the plate, that’s killer for a rt handed batter against a lefty. Not to take anything away from the young lad, he should be proud, that was a WS performance for the history books

Still we had opportunities we should have cashed in on. My friend’s FB post today said ‘i always heard everything was bigger in Texas, didn’t know that meant the strike zone too’

• RCWarrior says:

The advantage Holland has is that he throws from a 3/4 arm slot so many times those inside pitches get called because they come from the plate side. In other words the umpire sees that ball on the plate for a long time until right there at the very end so he may give a strike call on a ball inside a little bit because he sees in on the corner. Its why pitching coaches that have that type of arm slot guy have them on the far side of the rubber in order to get those calls. It really works good with high school umpires because they really get fooled by the pitch that is on the plate for a long time before missing the corner.

• Kansasbirdman says:

Hmmmm. That makes sense. I am learning something here every day!

I heard the announcer say the other day that cruz’s open stance was to help him hit the inside pitch. I guess it. Would be hard for a hitter to change his stance for one game, but if a hitter could use one would that help with the type of pitch you are talking about?

Jackson was pretty good. He gave up an RBI double to Hamilton, the main left swinger and worst matchup.
    But he walked too many guys. Boggs turned this into a problem.

• RCWarrior says:

Considering the cards failed to score a run Boggs did little to cause any kind of problem last night. Edwin’s first inning run allowed was enough to do them in considering the final score read Cardinals 0.

You just have to write last nights game as getting beat by the better pitcher. It happens. Holland was outstanding to say the least and really had the Cardinals number. But Nut may have a point in that the Cardinals were probably sore and wore out from scoring all those runs the night before.

Jumbo-once again Carp has to bear the burden and Furcal,Jay.Holliday and the rest of the offense need to jump early and often on Wilson.Give Carp some breathing room.Furcal and Jay must provide help.I bet Craig hits 2nd tonite and Jay 8th.Besides Alberts record nite he is o for 3 games.Cards need to nail Wilson quickly and prevent him from getting in rhythm.

• RCWarrior says:

The Cardinals are still sitting pretty imo with Carp going tonight and Jaime back in St. Louis. The odds are good that the Cards win these next two games and finish the Rangers off. I do like Craig in the two spot over Jay against a LHer but Craig has a hard time with breaking stuff from a lefty and Holland exposed that last night. Hopefully Allen makes a few adjustments tonight against CJ.

I think you will see Albert , Matt, and Lance do the heavy lifting tonight in the Cards victory.

• Kansasbirdman says:

That’s. As good an analysis as anyone can get on the man considering how little info most outsiders have on him. My question keeps comng up (esp after reading that article) – will he be content to be “offered” the most $ by another team and let that ‘show his worth’, or must he have the biggest contract to bolster his status?

• Nutlaw says:

Yeah, that seems fair.

11. Kansasbirdman says:

Btw RC, the cooler weather and colors have me itching to get out to the woods (if I ever get time), you been practicing with your bow? I made sure mine was still sighted in and have been taking practice shots. I have a 3d deer target that’s helpful to practice good shot placement.
    The rut’s gonna be getting into full swing here in a couple weeks.

• RCWarrior says:

Kansas, I was really enjoying the bow and now all of my kids are outside every day shooting……They have the TLR headshots on all the targets. :) My problem is I had surgery for a detached retina in my right eye….actually I’ve had 3 surgeries on it so far and one more to come on December 21 so that has kept me from shooting. Heck I can’t do much of anything since I still can’t use it.

Colby has already been on a few deer hunts and has a big one I believe coming up at Danny Cox’ place in Illinois in the coming month. I was supposed to go to Argentina to shoot duck and dove but this darn eye may cause me to miss it. They say you can kill 1000 birds a day down there. My thoughts were how could anyone stand shooting 1000 times a day.

We have an elk hunt in Colorado coming up as well but I’ve got to get this eye fixed or I’ll be sitting at the house with the women. :)

So I had some big plans for me and my bow but I will have to play it by ear……or eye. :) I do have the go ahead to lift starting today so I am heading back in the right direction I hope.

• Kansasbirdman says:

Sorry to hear about your eye. You may have to get a left-handed bow and become a switch-shooter :-) my wife is right handed but left eye dominant so she has to shoot her shotgun left handed. We tried to get the safety moved to the other side but havnt had any luck finding a smith to be able to do it, so reaching under the trigger has had to become part of her routine when she shoulders it for a shot. Not that we have any time to go out now that we have the little guy.

I have a buddy who got a nail-gun nail in his right eye over the summer and he can still see in it but not well enough to shoot so he has had to go left handed and start all over. The do make different peep sights and sights that don’t use a sting peep, you might have some luck with those. Hope you heal up regardless.

I think TLR is too hardheaded for a head shot it might just be impenetrable, and he may not have a heart to aim for either, plus it might require wood, or silver, or holy water in the broadhead to truly vanquish him. Haha. ;-)

• Kansasbirdman says:

Not to take up too much space on non-baseball topics, but if you end up with some venison in the freezer here is the best deer-meat recipe I know (it is a German wild game dish my grandmother makes with beef caled Rouladen):

Take a deer roast from the hindquarter (you can use a PP, but Flat Roast slices most uniformly) and slice it long ways and thin about 1/2 inch or so (I leave it half frozen bc it’s easier to slice in my slicer) You should end up with long, wide and flat cuts.

Then take some spicy mustard and spread it on one side, and then lay a slice of ham on top of the venison and mustard. Then take a cut carrot and dill pickle spear and put them side by side near one end of the venison that is ham side up. Then roll it up so the carrot and pickle are in the middle and put two or three toothpicks into the roll to hold it and keep it from unraveling. Then brown the meat (the venison is on the outside of the roll) in a skillet. At the same time you have a big pot with french onion soup and golden mushroom soup (two cans of each is fine) simmering (I also put the leftover pickle juice from the jar and the extra carrots and pickle spears in there too).

Once each roll is brown you put it in the pot and let them simmer (you could us a crock pot and let it cook all day) until they are tender. Mash potatoes work really well as a side dish with this and you have some “gravy” from the pot for those too. I have cooked this where I made some rolls with beef and some with venison and guests could not tell the difference in taste, in fact, the venison was more tender.

• RCWarrior says:

I actually made a call as soon as I read this and the youngsters are at work now making this happen for tonight. We have a pumpkin carving contest at my house tonight for my baseball team and their girlfriends and family so this will be something that will be fun to fix for all of that group.

We actually had a pumpkin carving conest last night, Crdswmn can view the pics on my facebook, (I had the spider Crdswmn), but I couldn’t include my baseball players and girlfriends because we had 6 kids who were in Jupiter Florida the past 5 days or so playing in the World wood bat Championship, so tonight we are going to have about 50 people getting after it carving them pumpkins. :)

And Kansas, the dinner is gonna be your recipe. Here’s hoping you know your stuff. I’ll tell you what the word is tomorrow. ohhhh the pressure. :)

• Kansasbirdman says:

You are adventurous RC. Wow, glad you and your guests don’t know where I live to send complaint letters!

This link has a picture to see what it looks like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouladen

It mentions a different recipe. I like ham instead of bacon (bacon gets soggy), and carrots instead of onions because the french onion soup and golden mushroom soup and the pickle juice have plenty of flavor. The pieces could be sliced closer to 1/4 instead of the 1/2 inch that I said above as 1/2 might be a little thick.

It is a good dish to fix for a group of guests because you can fix it in the afternoon and it can sit in the pot for hours until ready, it won’t go bad. Just be sure to let it simmer long enough to get tender.

Hope it all works out!

I’m interested to hear how RC and his crew like the recipe. My in-laws were old time farm folk, 100 % german ancestry. We’d have deer sauerbraten with homemade pumpernikel. In the dead of winter, they’d add a bit of ground horseradish when preparing the meat. On the side would be chunked potatoes, turnips, carrots and parsnips and red onions. With sauerbraten juice gravy over it all, and soaking it up with the black bread.

• Kansasbirdman says:

Mmmmmmm. Comfort food in cold weather. We just had a Best of the Wurst fest at my folk’s. German beer, knackwurst, brat, polish sausage, frankfurters (no poultry filler), weisswurst and more, bavarian kraut and potato salad, strudel, chocolate cake, and did I mention beer? I ate waaay too much this weekend.
                  Id be interested in that deer saurbraten recipe if you happen to have it BB, it sounds delish. :-)

That spider pumpkin was very good RC. I’m impressed.

12. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Quick note………. Texas is about -123 which is about right…….. Saturday was incredible…..you will never experience a more hostile environment to play a game in…….. Cardinals got the first heavy punch in……..it held up…..and then the “ground and pound” was on………… last night…Craig second, completely isolating Furcal…insulating Pujols…….Holiday 4th????, be honest……..Lance can play….and on to all the might HR hitters…………… Tony thinks he’s got it whipped……..if you see Craig tonight hitting second……and Holiday 4th…….its not about baseball………..

1 run down Tony puts in Boggs…………because he had a clean inning……..with a 9run lead??????? solid.

I figured our best shot was winning game 6 and 7…….after this team sobers up……coaches too…… I don’t look for Carpenter to go deep here……..sorry. Unless Tony starts playing for runs, that means sitting Jay………this could go south in a hurry……… Furcal has to pressure….we have to sacrifice…..AP has to think single……..Berkman has to hit 4th.even against a lefty…..etc;

Albert thinks he’s got this thing whooped……… all he’s done is seal the tactics envelope…….. he’s mounted this team again………unless he leads by example……we are going down……they have a smart team…….. Holland will start game 7 if necessary………. one day’s short rest isn’t going to hurt him………..

Tony’s priorities have been talked about often………now you will see them in action……… Nice play by play Jumbo……..you’re a natural……..

Lately, Tony is putting the hands team behind Carp, so I’d expect Jay and Punto in there. Might as well just stay with the same lineup, they’ll hit or they won’t. I like our chances no matter what happens tonight.

I guess that was it for Jackson as a Card. Best of luck to him. Hope he doesn’t end up in the NL Central.

And is anybody surprised it was Lance got our two hits last night?

• Kansasbirdman says:

Isn’t that Ron Washington’s philosophy/saying? ‘You do or you don’t, you will or you won’t’ or something like that?
        I heard mccarver or buck mentioning that in commenting on putting ogando back in and leaving hamilton in and (I think) talking about having faith in holland. At some point just about everyone is due for a big game moment.

I wasn’t surprised about Berkman getting the two hits. It reminded me that I am running my pick as St. Louis Player of the Year tomorrow on the main site.

• CariocaCardinal says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My escort this evening has one of these spooky iphones……………… Carpenter stands above whats happening………he won my undying admiration this evening. The rest of what was described above, is even uglier than its insinuation………………….. Truth be know, Texas could easily choke…..question is………..how might we out do them ………… .Brandi says hi.

Game 5 World Series lineup:
    1. Rafael Furcal (S) SS
    2. Allen Craig (R) RF
    3. Albert Pujols (R) 1B
    4. Matt Holliday (R) LF
    5. Lance Berkman (S) DH
    6. David Freese (R) 3B
    7. Yadier Molina (R) C
    8. Skip Schumaker (L) CF
    9. Nick Punto (S) 2B

I went over to Chili’s and watched 5.5 innings. Couldn’t take more.
    Wilson is a good pitcher and came up with pitches when he had to. Our guys have not been able to land any big hits or sac flies.
    Now its tied up. Ugh.

Albert should try a steal attempt. He would do better than Craig.

Its about time Holiday got a hit.

Great spot for David Freese to deliver a death blow. Come on Freese!

Great job by Carpenter, 7 innings in Dallas. I might pull him now, because he has thrown a ton of innnings this year. TLR might send him 8. We shall see.

Skip has helped out tonight. Hope he starts Game 6 too.

How about trying Theriot in the pinch?

Tony, what is the point of pinch-hitting in order to bunt?

Maybe in Game 6, Freese should bat cleanup, Holiday 6th?

I did not have a good lucky feel about Rzep vs. Napoli.

Holliday is 3-18 so far in the Series with 12 LOB.Of course it would`nt be fair not to say anything about the rest of the hitters going MIA and hitting like little leaguers.Damn pathetic.

Tony looked like a genius when Craig got hit by a pitch. Not so much of a genius starting the runner, when it is slow Craig.

25. Nutlaw says:

That was a terrible way to lose a game.

A poster on another board said Tony said the steal was a “mistake “He did not call for a steal.No finger pointing but a player screwed up.That is what other info said.Tony also said he asked for Motte and the Bullpen coach thought he said Lynn.Just relaying info i read elsewhere.

So much stupidity in that game, so little time.

I’m too depressed to sleep and too depressed to post anymore.

Just pathetic offense.You can`t keep failing to drive the run it.The story of the Series so far.Poor clutch hitting except for game 3 and Craig early.Damn wasted chances

Bunting Craig with Furcal on second and no outs—-stupid

Taking out Carpenter for Dotel—stupid

Craig running in the 9th—stupid

Offense terrible in the clutch–Yes I am talking to you Matt Holliday and David Freese. How many times did Freese swing at the first pitch? Holliday DP was the killer. Punto striking out a gazillion times.

Albert swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone in the 9th. Could have walked twice.

And the bullpen mixup? TLR says it happened twice. Uh-huh. It’s the bullpen phone gremlin again.

AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!