MLB games drawing high levels of social media activity

Two social media tools I use regularly are Twitter and Facebook. Like most of them, there is plenty of noise to filter through, along with some news and information, as well.

When following a hashtag associated with a sports team such as #stlcards for the St. Louis Cardinals, the level of activity during a game is very high. Recently, I came across a website, SocialGuide.com, that tracks social comments relating to television programs.

Last week’s results (October 3-9) in the Sports category indicate a strong showing for Major League Baseball. Behind the number one event, the NFL game between the Jets and Patriots, were the MLB Division Series Game 5’s, with the Tigers-Yankees second and the Cardinals-Phillies third.

Almost 125,000 comments were logged during the Cardinals game by over 67,000 unique individuals. The other three NLDS games during the period ranked 15th, 16th and 19th in the top 100, tracked across college and professional sports televised events.

7 Responses to “MLB games drawing high levels of social media activity”

What TLR has been doing with his bullpen is consistent with what he did in 2006, though he now has more relievers to work with.

Back in 06, TLR used rookie Wainwright as the closer. Isringhausen was on the DL.

Looper served as a vet set up man. TLR had two more rookie relievers, LHP Tyler Johnson and a man who pitched for Quincy College, raised in central Pennsylvania, forget his name.

In general, during those playoffs, TLR would alternate his relievers to finish the game from the 6th inning.

In 2011, TLR is using the same tactic, just now has more relievers to work with. We hope our starter can complete 4 to 5 innings, then turn it over to waves of relievers to bring it home. The Brewers are a good hitting team and this is the way to hold them down. We do not want to get into slugfests. Hold down their scoring and we have a pretty good chance against them, even in Milwaukee.

What is ironic for me, is that I have spent considerably less time on social media during the postseason than I did during the regular season. I get so wound up during these playoff games that I don’t focus well enough to contribute anything.

I am going to be out this evening during the first part of the game, so I won’t be able to even follow on Gameday. I do have MLB at Bat on my phone and will be following the game on there as long as my friends will tolerate it. :)

Good luck to the birds tonight. I’ll get text updates from my son.

I guess it goes without saying it would be especially important for Ed to get through the first with minimal damage. Hope we jump on top. Rip ‘em a new one Albert.

Sunday NLCS Game 6 lineup:
    1. Rafael Furcal (S) SS
    2. Jon Jay (L) CF
    3. Albert Pujols (R) 1B
    4. Lance Berkman (S) RF
    5. Matt Holliday (R) LF
    6. David Freese (R) 3B
    7. Yadier Molina (R) C
    8. Nick Punto (S) 2B
    9. Edwin Jackson (R) P

We are cruising.

I thought Jackson would shut them down, but the Brewers juiced some pitches. Good job by them.

Tony went to trusted relievers Salas and Rzep. They ate 4 innings. We will take it. Now we have Dotel, Lynn, Rhodes, and Motte to bring it home. Garcia too if needed. Whatever it takes to get outs.

6. Kansasbirdman says: