Carpenter ties Gibson in Cardinals post-season wins

Despite clearly not having his best stuff Wednesday night, St. Louis Cardinals starting pitcher Chris Carpenter held on long enough to pitch five innings in what remained a 4-3 game in favor of the home club. After allowing three runs on six hits and three walks, the 36-year-old picked up his first win of the 2011 League Championship Series and second of this post-season.

The NLCS Game 3 victory was Carpenter’s seventh career post-season win, tying him with Hall of Famer Bob Gibson for first place on the Cardinals’ all-time list. Coincidentally, Gibson was among the Busch Stadium attendees Wednesday, along with fellow Cardinals Hall of Famers Lou Brock, Red Schoendienst and Stan Musial.

With his fifth-ever home win in the playoffs, Carpenter broke a tie with John Tudor and is now alone atop that subset with the most home post-season wins in franchise history.

While Carpenter has enjoyed the advantage of expanded playoffs that did not exist in Gibson’s days, his accomplishments are certainly worth acknowledging here.

Overall in his post-season career, Carpenter is 7-2 with a 2.99 ERA (26 ER/75.1 IP), a .248 (68-for-274) opponents batting average and 46 strikeouts against 25 walks. Most importantly, the Cardinals have won 10 and lost just two of his post-season starts.

In Cardinals playoff history, Carpenter passed Matt Morris (11 starts, 73.1 IP, 44 SO) Wednesday night in starts, innings pitched and strikeouts. He now ranks second in the latter two categories for St. Louis, trailing only Gibson (81.0 IP, 92 SO).

Thanks to researcher Tom Orf, here is the full list of Cardinals post-season winners, including home-road splits. 56 different pitchers have won 103 playoff games, led by Carpenter and Gibson.

Of course, the Cardinals hope to see six more wins added to this total before they pack up their gear for a final time in 2011.

Cardinals post-season wins Total Home Road
Red Munger 1 1
Rick Honeycutt 1 1
Roger Craig 1 1
T.J. Mathews 1 1
Todd Worrell 1 1
Totals 103 58 45

35 Responses to “Carpenter ties Gibson in Cardinals post-season wins”

Okay, it’s my birthday, it’s my first playoff game ever. Must win. Go Cards!

I like seeing Lynn on the list. He’s getting valuable experience. Same with Mott, and both are responding. No crusty vets out of the pen last night.

It will be interesting to see what lineup Tony puts up with Lance out and Craig in. Seems like it would be unwise to move Jay who has been getting on ahead of Albert. Freese excells hitting 7th, perhaps because of less pressure with not being higher in the order.

Matt has not shown any power at all since the finger injury, ao the hot Albert might not see a single pitch all night. It is acceptable to swap Matt and Lance in cases where Matt is physically unable to protect Albert, but would Tony move that contract out of the Albert protection spot in favor of a minimum wage guy like Craig or Freese?

Tony was a big proponant of spending the money to have Matt in that spot, so I’m sure Matt will be in that spot, and Albert will not get anything to hit. So Craig and Freese should see some RBI chances tonight, especially if Albert, Matt and Yadi (assuming he hits 6th between Craig and Freese), the 3 DP amigos, can stay away from it.

crdswmn should bring them luck.

Berkman probably won the comeback player by a landslide.

NLCS Game 4 lineup: Furcal 6; Craig 9; Pujols 3; Freese 5; Holliday 7; Molina 2; Theriot 4; Jay 8; Lohse 1.

So Tony read the blog and figured How can I make bb look like a dumbass.

I’m elated with this lineup. Tony is retiring. Dollar on a dime…. Mo said” you damage the goods, it ain’t gonna be pretty………. Tony believes that the sudden co-dependence between Molina and Albert may be important chemistry…………. lets watch and see what happens………. hopefully Craig catches something, maybe Holiday…… Freese going OPO against Wolf I like………… lets see if AP stays in the zone.

“I think when you have the responsibility of hitting behind Albert,” La Russa continued, “it adds something that’s not fair right now.”

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/article_8b303ac0-f5e4-11e0-af97-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1ahj64AA9

Its right here……………….. some of you will be able to read this statement………….. this is an apologetic affirmation of if some very complex posturing ………”"I think when you have the responsibility”….thats the 120 million………and thats between Tony and Mo………..it adds “something” thats not quite fair????
        Whats fair suppose to mean???????????? “right now”……………………… what is now? is it the playoffs now………..is it the Albert rush at validation now????????? Tony is admitting in this statement, all the issues that I’m talking about…………. the Molina debacle is also exactly whats described………. Tony is giving Yadi a chance to upgrade his salary posture in the future……….. he is paying back ” allies”……………… allies in what?/////////duh……………….. if Molina gases out again tonight……what then? Debt paid????????

I forgot the best thing………………………..why does Tony need to make a blanket statement about how he will use Holiday???????>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>is that for Matt’s comfort?………….. Hell no……he had a meeting with Mo….BD holding his leash……….. a few things got straightened out……..

• Nutlaw says:

Yeah, I’m confused how Freese goes from batting seventh to batting cleanup.

its the only move Tony had after using Craig to set up AP…………… isn’t going to be the dumb sacrifice baseball up front today……………………..Theriot been hot……..but that would push Molina back to 7th if he hit 2nd………….. trick lineup…………….

5. CariocaCardinal says:

Some thoughts carried over from previous threads.

Yadi may be batting .316 in the #6 spot but the Cards had a losing record with him starting in that spot in the regular season. Of course they have been winning with him thee in the #6 spot in the playoffs.

Westie is worried about them pitching around Pujols to get to Holliday, I’m more worried about them pitching around Holliday to get to Molina!

Westie thinks Craig #2 is a loser. He thinks Jay isn’t a major league hitter. He believes that Shumaker and Theriot aren’t even major league players – curious who he would like to see in the #2 hole.

Funny that after making an unconditional statement that he thought TLR would retire after
    this season, Westie is now predicting the same thing but only on a condition basis (if certain events happen).

Did I really read where Westie said “ïn the end, it’s about baseball” ?

Was that Westie I just heard throwing up?

3 innings is a long time. Our bats will wake up, Wolf should peter out.

Some quick thoughts because I have to get going in a couple of hours for my weekend trip. I will be checking in periodically.

It was a disappointing game for sure, too bad Wolf chose last night to quit sucking. If we make it to the WS, I wouldn’t start Lohse again if it can be avoided. I was sitting behind home plate but high up in the nose bleed section. The fans in right field were really giving Nyjer Morgan a hard time. Some of us in my section thought they saw someone throw something at him but it may have been an optical illusion. I had a great time, but winning the game would have been more fun.

I hope Jaime has one of his good home performances tonight. Greinke has trouble on the road, let’s hope that continues. I doubt he is going to get a warm reception by the fans either. I won’t be able to watch the game, in fact I will miss all the rest of the games in this series because I will be out of town with no access to TBS. I am going to be keeping close tabs on the score though.

If we can win tonight, I have a good feeling about taking one in Milwaukee. Our guys have to keep playing like they have been and I think they can do it.

Too bad you saw a loser. I didn’t think pitching was a problem, including Lohse. What are your issues with his performance?

Hope nobody threw anything.

I’ll miss tonight’s also, due to working overnight.

• STLfan51 says:

I was sitting just inside RF foul pole, we were killing Morgan. Nothing more than chanting his name and booing. He absolutely loved every minute of it. I saw nobody throw anything at him. However someone was ejected/arrested for something and it took 3 cops to get him out of his seat. If he did throw something it didn’t get to the field, he was about 30 rows back and about 4 sections over from me, towards first base.

Very disappointing game. Kind of like game 3 vs Phillies. 0-15 w/risp is awful. Keep the faith and keep putting 15 risp and knock em in!!!

Lohse did fine for the first three innings, and then started throwing everything up in the zone. He doesn’t seem to be able to sustain it for more than a few innings. He has to go deeper into games, because our bullpen is not going to be able to sustain this pace.

Several of us saw something flying in the air over in the right field corner around the 8th inning. We thought it might be someone throwing something at Morgan because that corner had been booing Morgan hard out there for a couple of innings. It was probably nothing.

Our entire staff has that deep into games problem, with occasional exceptions.

Carp only had the one hiccup in Philly. He could have gone longer in Game 3, but TLR pulled him. Jaime can usually go 6-7 innings at home but has his meltdowns on the road. Jackson also could have gone longer in Milwaukee imo.

I just don’t think Lohse has his stuff right now. Maybe he will do better if he gets another start.

I want to share a cool story I heard last night. An older gentleman was sitting next to me on the Metrolink last night and started talking to me. He said he was originally from the East Coast and was a NY Giants fans until they moved. He then became a Mets fan, but they disappointed him. When he was a kid he went to a Yankees game and tried to get Mickey Mantle’s autograph, but Mickey gave him the brush off. His family was in St. Louis and went to a Cardinal game. After the game they went to Stan Musial’s restaurant. He said Stan came by their table and sat down to speak to them. He said, “After that I became a Cardinal fan, and I have been one ever since”.

Pretty neat I thought.

Great story. With all the pressures on athletes today, they more tend to seem to want to shun the fans and the media too. One of my greatest regrets is to never have had the opportunity to meet Stan and talk a bit of baseball as I have been so fortunate to do with the likes of Red and Gibson.

Stan used to spend a lot of time at the restaurant. His partners wife, Mrs. Garagnani used to drag him around to say hi to the regulars. At certain times, the bar there was a good place to see baseball guys, especially the Italians. I was a lad but that didn’t keep my grandpa and dad from dragging me in there.

9. STLfan51 says:

That is what it’s all about, great story CRD.

My favorite story like that is hearing Jeter talk about the first time he met DiMaggio. He said they sat down to talk about what it’s like to be a Yankee, and a professional etc. Joe D. told Jeter that he played the game knowing that if some kid in the crowd would only get to see him play one time, “I better give that kid my best effort”. They really don’t make em like they used to.

I’ve also heard that story told referencing Clemente as saying that. Good stuff.

10. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

The bull pen seems fine……………………. ALL of the starting rotation suddenly come down with issues surrounding mechanics …………… Lohse’s NEW mechanical focus doesn’t include using the hard slider………………… Giving up 3 hits, to contact………. Tony has the pen going in the forth….like he just knew this would happen………..Cardinals still leading………………. there is no call for the slider from the dugout or Molina……….. the aroma of Kentucky finest is in the air……..and Tony presses the position………. Albert got a hit…..causing a smile that would light up all of the Dominican….chortling with his com padre Prince at the first base club…………….. I know how some of these threads ends up…………..Tony desperately maneuvers towards his destiny……….unsupervised play all around…….Players failing their great couches one after another………….. Only the reaper will save us now ……………. ………………….. what will todays lineup bring……….I wonder………. Berkman and Jay back to there spots…………does Freese finally bump Molina……….or is that now “untouchable”…….