Cardinals post-season roster questions

I received a few questions about the St. Louis Cardinals post-season roster as it was set on Saturday. I thought I would provide some explanation as I understand it.

How could Eduardo Sanchez have been eligible since he was on the disabled list since June? Was it because he played in the final week of the regular season?

The eligible list of players includes those on the 25-man roster on August 31 as well as those on any inactive list, including the disabled list. His last week of the season was not relevant to this situation.

How could the Cardinals put Adron Chambers on the playoff roster since he wasn’t called up until September?

If any player on the eligible list is injured at the start of any post-season series, he can be replaced by any player who was anywhere in the organization on August 31. Though Chambers was already on the 40-man roster, he didn’t even have to be at that time. He could have been added later when needed.

But the Cardinals don’t have any injured position players, do they? I thought Chambers must replace a position player, not a pitcher?

Prior to a series, the substitutions can be any player for any player. There is no requirement for a pitcher to be displaced by a pitcher or a swapped-out position player to be replaced by another position player. For example, outfielder Chambers could have taken the place of pitcher Adam Wainwright, the latter being out for the entire year.

I was pretty sure there was a rule that said teams have to keep the same ratio of pitchers to position players they had on August 31…

That concept only applies when a player is injured during a series. In that case, he can be replaced for the next game, but only by a player from the same group (pitcher for pitcher or position player for position player). Between rounds, teams can re-balance the mix of pitchers and position players as they choose.

If that is the case, why wouldn’t teams swap out injured (tired) pitchers for fresh ones every day?

There is a penalty to ensure teams don’t just flip players in and out due to real or imagined injuries. Any player replaced during a series due to injury is ineligible for both the current and following series.

76 Responses to “Cardinals post-season roster questions”

Psychology question…..
    A team is in first place all season, fans feel good. Then it starts losing in September and its lead slips. But unlike the Red Sox, this team hangs on and makes it into the playoffs on the final day of the season.
    Another team is in second place for months. It surges at the end of the season and makes the playoffs on the final game of the season.
    Which situation feels better for fans? To almost blow it or to rally at the end?

Good information Brian………….. the situation that feels best to me jumbo……..is to accidentally walk into the cheerleaders dressing room……..and then pass out from embarrassment ………. only to be revived and used as a pleasure toy by this angry bunch of girls……….. the shame and humiliation I’m feeling is overwhelming me right now………….. I’m just unsure which is worse……..the shame……or the humiliation…………..

Sunday lineup: Furcal 6, Craig 9, Pujols 3, Berkman 7, Freese 5, Molina 2, Theriot 4, Jay 8, Carpenter 1.

• RCWarrior says:

No doubt to rally feels better Jumbo. I still believe the Cards will win the series against Philly but if there were to not even win a game this season has been an extraordinary one for the Cardinals. Mo has had his best year in terms of making quality moves and TLR has really finished well down the stretch. And with Waino back next year appears to be already built for success by Mo and Tony.

With the good offensive stats this year, bolstering the pitching staff with Wainy should make for a good team next year. Hopefully, the defense and pen will be better too.

• RCWarrior says:

The team is setting up to be really good. The OF is loaded. Holliday, Craig, Jay, and Lance are as good as you can get. Albert and Freese at the corners are really good. Yadi is a stud, Furcal and Skipper would be a nice middle INF tandem. That team would be the favorite to win the NL.

I could follow you until that last sentence. This year’s ending team plus Waino, would be an underdog to the Phils and perhaps Brewers (if Prince is back), Braves and Snakes. Not sure how soon in the off-season the oddsmakers will post their first 2012 odds – probably before Albert and Prince settle their contracts – so there would be change later on…

• RCWarrior says:

Maybe I’ve got a rose colored view of the team but I believe the 2012 Cardinals will be the favorites to win it all in the NL. That is, if Furcal is back. Albert will be back but Furcal is not a lock at this point.

I’d like to see Freese all year and Craig in the lineup regularly. The D up the middle would have to be better. Furcal would be nice.

• friendmouse says:

I’m with you, RC. We will be the favorites, if you take subjectivity out of the equation. But you cannot do that, obviously…it’s subjective by its nature.

1. Rafael Furcal (S) SS
    2. Allen Craig (R) RF
    3. Albert Pujols (R) 1B
    4. Lance Berkman (S) LF
    5. David Freese (R) 3B
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Jon Jay (L) CF
    8. Ryan Theriot (R) 2B
    9. Chris Carpenter (R) P

3. friendmouse says:

Okay, BB & Brian…which is it? Are our 7 & 8 hitters Theriot and Jay, or Jay and Theriot? Probably makes minimal difference. My guess is lefty Jay hits 8th.

4. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Lee has to use the strike zone……..like everyone else……..do we make him?…….. just like Lohse couldn’t back door slider Howard……….he is a bigger threat to go OPO than any thing else………….who do we have??????????? AP??????????? is Freese going……is Craig going…….is Berkman going…taking whats given???? Show me…………. one of Lees main weapons will be setting up the away pitch with the long pulled foul balls that are nothing more than strikes in the end ……………… we have to threaten him early……….Carp will be aggressive………..dangerous stuff that aggression……….

one more thing………..the next time I see a Cardinal batter leap out of the way of a body shot………….I’m going to puke……………take one for the team boys…………

5. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

I rest my case…………….completely irresponsible……………

6. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Hop in here RC……………… don’t be shy……….

• RCWarrior says:

Not much to say, Missed scoring opportunities are not a good sign for the Cards. My guess is that those will become scarce as Lee settles in. I hope I’m wrong.

Carp does not appear top be on his game. Tony already has the pen up. Yikes!!

7. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Whats with Ibanez………….. stoking one the other way………….this is the game when you go to Jackson by the 3rd………..save Carp for a Wednesday look..bounce Lohse to game 5………

Carp’s a warrior. Hope they don’t carry him off on his shield.

Maybe the boppers will be inspired. Could use a big game from Albert.

Theriot looks better at the plate than Albert did.

After two blown leadoff extra base hit chances in two innings, I think I’ll turn in. Hope they bounce back. I’ll read about it in the morning.

11. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

I suppose everyone heard the description of Carps workouts…………… scrap that one………why Salas………….why not use Westbrooke or Jackson………… Tony is letting him hit…….never mind…….incredible………..

12. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

I quit………………………

13. CariocaCardinal says:

Not sure why you put long men in the bullpen and then dont use them.

I wonder if Carp had pulled in the 7th with an 8 run lead in his last start he might have had something left in the tank for this game.

Even a win doesn’t make TLR look any better.

• RCWarrior says:

IT looks like Tony is just being Tony. He likes/trusts certain players more than others and rides them. Same ol same ol. It does appear to be unconventional use of the BP but Tony is a trend setter not a trend follower. And by the way……..a split in Philly. :) Charlie is worried this morning, believe me.

• friendmouse says:

Well, CC…if you really believe that (perception of TLR), then you are in the vast minority. I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews by all kinds of baseball pundits everywhere…ALL saying what an incredible job TLR did in that game. I believe he changed sentiments enough in this one game to swing the fandom to want him back for one last season in 2012. We shall see. But first, let’s win it all in ’11!

• RCWarrior says:

I concur mouse……..the good folks of St. Louis will indeed want Tony back for another year. Like I stated earlier, this season has been his masterpiece.

14. Kansasbirdman says:

WooooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

15. Kansasbirdman says:

This team is really earning my respect. Never know what will happen. They never give up. Whodathought lee and carp would be out so early?

• T8Ball says:

Lot of heart, that’s for sure.

I was impressed with the comeback, and Boggs, Rhodes. Could have been blind squirrel finds the nut, but finding that nut can add some major confidence.

16. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

I’m still shaking my head……….and smiling………..this Phillies team might give it up…..who knows……

Look at the hits and the swings that won it…………….. Thats good stuff………..including AP “stroke” arms extended and under control…………………. yes he can………..when he wants………… I’m still shaking my head over Tony’s BP moves………… we have a game 4 now….can’t believe that he is going to start Jackson there………. Halladay awaits in game 5……….. Lohse and Carpenter had low pitch counts………. Will he use Westbrook or Jackson to back Garcia?……….We really need to win game 3…….. I give up guessing what he might do……….. I thought Scrabble was way over exposed…….and Boggs again…………. Phillies have to be worried………… Craig at 5………get tactical behind furcal….get Molina back to 7th………… thanks to Cliff Lee…………………..

A split on the road.How about that.In spite of the windy oratory blowing from the west the team was selfish enough to guit out a comeback.Never give up.

• RCWarrior says:

WC just sees the glass as half empty most of the time BW. His is a view of wanting everyone to do everything right all of the time and there is not much patience for anything less than perfection.

You and he want the same things you just feel differently about getting to those goals….one of you is optimistic to a fault and the other 180 degrees toward the pessimistic viewpoint.
      So both you and WC are happy today but one of you got their angry while the other was happy throughout. The end result was the HAPPY though BW. :)

• Bw52 says:

RCW- Verbal (excessiveness) isn`t a attribute IMHO.

Edited to comply with site standards.

• Bw52 says:

RCW-I admit i have a low tolerance for that particular fault.Especially from the West.

Bw, you and WC are like Tony and Colby I guess. Oil and water. I enjoy your contributions so I hope you are able to restrain yourself enough to not get banished, or get fed up and leave.

• RCWarrior says:

I enjoy both your optimism and WC’s pessimism. Both are entertaining imo. If you understand that it is just for entertainment value then WC’s comments shouldn’t get to you.

• Bw52 says:

RCW-I fail to see the need to have a plethora of words when a simple “Pujols popped up” will suffice.

• RCWarrior says:

If you are a bible reader then I can give you this example. I would say just don’t read it if it bothers you because I actually enjoy the analysis provided by WC. But that being said, remember in the bible when the Angel came to Lot and said for him to take his family and get out of Sodom……don’t look back, no matter what. But Lots wife just couldn’t resist looking back to see what was happening.

Thats what we have here………when WC writes something many need to not look because when they do they turn into a pillar of rage. But many just can’t do it….they have to look. :)

• Bw52 says:

RCW-apparently from Brian`s comments to me he has had to get his dustpan and clean up my comments.I said nothing in rage or anger.I stated my opinion.I guess it wasn`t the right opinion.

Your “opinions” cannot be expressed without being abrasive, insulting and baiting to others. You apparently cannot disagree civilly. Next time will be it.

• RCWarrior says:

My advice BW, write a scathing response full of profanity and insulting language. Be really abrasive. Then erase it before you hit the submit content button. This will allow you to let it out without being ugly to the rest of the posters here. Problem solved. :)

Bw, you could set up a Bw 53 screen name with the persona of a WC admirer. That would be interesting reading. Brian would catch on eventually, of course, but it would be fun while it lasted.

• Bw52 says:

RCW-nice thought .Might be useful now that i am on the warning line.

• CariocaCardinal says:

RC – you seem well informed enough (particularly about baseball) to realize that it is not analysis to say when a guy doesn’t get a hit he’s being selfish and when he does he is a team player. And the pretending to know what other people think and why they do the things they do is not analysis either — and it irritates some to be presented in that manner. As far as the black helicopters go, that is almost too sad and funny to be irritating.

I’m dreaming this, right?

BB-it really happened.Bullpen held the NL version of the Yankees and Cards came back with Albert`s hit.

• RCWarrior says:

I’m telling you BW, the Phillies aren’t anywhere close to being capable of hitting like the Yankees. The Cardinals are the superior hitting team in the NL today. Heck the Brewers may be a better hitting group than the Phillies at this point.

The Brewers / Cardinals matchup is gonna be fun to watch. Now I do give the Brewers the edge if that matchup happens, if only slightly because of their pitching, but that series may push the Cardinals to the max number of games to win it. I thought the Cards may sweep Philly but I’ll take running the table and taking the series while giving up one loss. :)

• RCWarrior says:

Lets not forget to give credit to Jon and Craig for their bit hits as well to put Albert in a position to do what he does best……….hit the pelota.

Bw, I just about spit up my coffee when I pulled up the box score and saw how our pen shut them down. And your Yankees analogy hits home. The way they put together that rotation was right out of the Yankee playbook. RC is right about the lineup, but it is among the best, and I imagine the Phills will spend like mad to improve it this winter, especially if the Cards put them down.

Who were those guys in Cardinal suits out in the pen, and what did they do with our relief pitchers?

What the Cardinals need is a hearing aid salesman because they can’t hear the fat lady.

I have been bouncing off the walls since Friday, but since today is an off day, I feel calm enough to post. What a game last night. I started off being furious because Carp started when he shouldn’t have, and his struggles really upset me. But the Cardinals did what they have been doing for over a month, so I don’t know why I was surprised. I guess I just keep expecting that the engine is going to burn out. This comeback stuff is not good for my nerves.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn-enjoy the feeling.Hope there is more on the way.

You’re my kind of fan crd, giving all you’ve got. I can imagine sitting next to you at a game would be an experience.

I’ve done the unthinkable and taken a week off work. Just couldn’t keep going. I have to admit I didn’t expect to be following a Cards playoff run. I, like you, am not a TLR fan, but jeez, somebody is doing something right. Not bad for the second losingest manager of all time.

Carp really gave it his all, I’m so happy the pen picked him up.

• Kansasbirdman says:

I have few fingernails left and the baby will hopefully not develop a nervous disorder with my yelling aat the TV and the loud clapping aand cheering. I couldn’t post till the end of the game last night. This Cardinal team has sure kept things exciting this year

• RCWarrior says:

Great point Kansas, The Cardinals have given the fans an exciting year of baseball and still continue to surprise. If they don’t win another game this has been a tremendous year for the fans.