As Major League Baseball gears up for the Postseason, Pepsi MAX announces the 2011 Field of Dreams Team – a who’s who of legendary players who will visit the hometown of one lucky winner for the ultimate fan face-off game. On September 14, Pepsi MAX will announce the four lucky fan finalists on mlb.com/pepsimax, who will each begin campaigning for their chance to take on this real-life fantasy team next spring with ten of their friends.
More than 2.5 million votes were cast from baseball enthusiasts across the country to determine the 11-man dream team, which includes some of the biggest names in baseball: Cal Ripken Jr., Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr., Tony Gwynn, Reggie Jackson along with ex-Cardinals closer Dennis Eckersley, my interview subject back on July 13.
The team was selected from 30 player nominees who represent more than 20 Hall of Famers, 325 All-Star Game Selections, 32 World Series Championships, 20 League MVPs, 15 Cy Young Awards, and 119 Gold Gloves.
The Pepsi MAX Field of Dreams Team roster:
- Starting Pitcher – Randy Johnson
- Catcher – Johnny Bench
- First Baseman – Frank Thomas
- Second Baseman – Rod Carew
- Third Baseman – Mike Schmidt
- Shortstop – Cal Ripken, Jr.
- Outfielders – Ken Griffey, Jr., Tony Gwynn and Reggie Jackson
- Relief Pitcher – Dennis Eckersley
- Designated Hitter – Edgar Martinez
“It was an honor to be part of the Pepsi MAX Field of Dreams ballot,” said Tony Gwynn, baseball Hall of Famer and Pepsi MAX Field of Dreams Team outfielder. “These guys are some of the greatest baseball players of all time, and it’s truly humbling to be chosen by the fans for their Field of Dreams Team.”
Similar to how the 11-man roster was chosen, from September 14 through October 5, fans will have the chance to vote for which of the four finalists will host the Pepsi MAX Field of Dreams Team, in their local community surrounded by family, friends and baseball fans.
Additionally, ESPN will air a one-hour special chronicling the Pepsi MAX Field of Dreams program, the fan-voted 11-man team and four consumer finalists on September 25 at 8:30 p.m. ET.
Latest posts by Brian Walton (see all)
- Talking Cardinals Prospects on KFNS - April 20, 2017
- Talking Cardinals Baseball with Ken Miller – April 17 - April 18, 2017
- Revisiting the WBC and Cardinals Spring Attendance - April 12, 2017