Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Marlins weekend

Late Friday afternoon, I joined Ken Miller and Jim Brinson on KXnO FOX Sports Radio 1460 in Des Moines in our weekly series to discuss the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals, “Cardinal Talk.”

Fans in central Iowa can again catch Cardinals radio broadcasts on KXnO throughout the 2011 season as well as this Friday segment, sponsored by WCI Pools and Spas.

Click here for audio: Brian Walton with Miller and Brinson (9:00)

39 Responses to “Cardinal Talk: KXnO FOX Sports Radio: Marlins weekend”

Berkman does not collect a lot of triples.

It looked like he could run pretty good once he got going. Surprising speed.

I have to admit I thought Mo was crazy, but Lance has been great.

3. LarryBird says:

I liked the pick-up as he was injured last year and I felt like he still had some left in the tank but I did not think he would produce this much!

That was easy

5. CariocaCardinal says:

Lynn with the “Izzy” save

During 2011, the Cards have often found ways to lose close games. Last night, they found a way to eke out a win, on the road, even without using the overworked Salas to close. Maybe they are turning a corner.

Maybe, but two wins in row is barely a start. They eked out a win last Saturday in extra innings in Milwaukee only to come out flat as a pancake on Sunday.

Milwaukee is a good team, so its not surprising to drop 2 of 3 in their home park. The Brewers have a terrific record in their home park, compensating for for a crummy road record.
        The good news was winning one in Milwaukee, via strong efforts by Holiday, Berkman, Furcal, Salas, etc. Now we have one the first two in Miami.
        The Cards are stronger with Furcal at SS and Theriot in reserve, and with Jackson, Rzep, and Dont Ask Dotel. I am not missing Tallet, Miller, or Cub-wannabe Rasmus. For reinforcement, Allen Craig is working his way back; Punto will return in September; and Molina will rest up for 3 more games and be renewed for the home stretch. Holliday is hitting great, even the oft overlooked Skip has lifted his OPS, McClellan is back in the pen. Cub Don’t Wannabe Corey is supersub. This team looks ready to finish strong.

• Kansasbirdman says:

Been a lot of smack talked about Skip Schu but I like him. He has had a hot bat he doesn’t get credit for and is quality (if not exceptional) on D

………………………………………………………………………………………………unless he leaves with Tony…. Skip will be out of baseball in 1 or 2 years …………. gritty wears down real fast……. and almost all scenarios have Tony leaving……….. I think into retirement myself ……………. this is for the record……..I don’t dislike Tony……….IMO he has a many limiting factors………. I don’t see him as sought after by anyone…………. I would say that there are a “whole bunch” of age related factors hunting both him and Dave………… But hey…………..thats just me and my wild guesses………………..

I hope we are not seeing a repeat performance from Jay of his post trade 2010 season. He has been batting .179 since the Rasmus trade. Our starting pitching is still weak, and our bullpen is being misused by TLR (what else is new). So I fail to see any corners being turned quite yet.

Westbrook and Carpenter are our best starting pitchers. Jackson should turn out fine. Garcia and Lohse are the most vulnerable and inconsistent. By adding Dotel, Rzep, and McClellan to the pen, we have 7 good relievers, so there is depth, to compensate for starters who do not eat a lot of innings. The pitching staff is stronger.
        We can use Patterson in CF to give Jay some off days. Jay is good for average, better than Corey or Colby, so will get on base again. The Cards should compete well the rest of the year.

• Kansasbirdman says:

I dunno but westbrook seems like he can be hot and cold too. Not a lot of high pitch counts or extended inning starts. I hope jackson can finally find quality consistency, but he hasn’t seemed to for the past however many teams

Saturday lineup: Furcal SS, Patterson CF, Pujols 1B, Holliday LF, Berkman RF, Schumaker 2B, Cruz C, Descalso 3B, Carpenter P.

8. LarryBird says:

Carp seems to be on tonight.

9. LarryBird says:

Stanton can not reach the outside pitch from where he stands. I said that before Carp put one on the outside corner about 2 inches off the plate that Stanton missed by a foot.

Liked that play by Patterson in the 2nd, getting all the way over to left and catching the fly that Matt lost against the sky.

Anything about Freese? Craig? Haven’t been able to keep up this week. Could use a bat behind Lance.

11. Leebo says:

Rasmus hits his first homer for the Bluy Jays against the Orioles. I bet he wishes he could play against Baltimore everyday, he kills their pitching.
    .. now back to your regularly scheduled game.

A couple of years back, Westie was keen on Joe Thurston’s swing. Or was it Brian Barden’s? In any event, Joe was at AAA, got called up by the Marlins to start last night’s game, tried to score on a ball that got away from Laird, was out. Today, he has been DFA’d. His replacement just made an error.

By the way, pregame on KMOX, Rooney was going on about how dust ups increase with temperatures. Sounded familiar.

A while back, Brian wondered if a guy (Furcal) hitting sub .200 could be having a good year against anybody. As it happens, he was 3 of 4 against Nolasco, his best against anybody this season. Tony would have known that.

15. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

That no call with Furcal again, with Descalso on third is crap………he is a coward because he would be the on to initiate the play………..its a no call……and is fear based ………………… the whole idea of the conference by the Marlins……….is an attack on Tony……because they know what his reaction will be…. they scout him ………….. it is now the expected competitive protocol……….

Ugly wins are still wins. Good game by Carpenter and Pujols.
    It must be really boring to be a Marlins fan.

17. Kansasbirdman says:

Good win. I was worried that extra husttle by Big Puma into the ttagout at 2nd was gonna cost us. But salas and. Motte and zep all contributed not to mention a strong carp outing