Silent Colby Rasmus?

Long-time St. Louis Cardinals fans probably remember former outfielder George Hendrick for three things:

1)     His role as the team’s power threat during years of a different kind of play by the Cards. He was a part of the club from 1978-1984, covering the first half of the Whiteyball era.

2)     His long uniform pants covering his stirrup socks. Hendrick was the first Cardinal to do this, something that is the norm today.

3)     His unwillingness to speak with the press, which led to him being nicknamed “Silent George.”

Now in the generally-anonymous role of first base and outfield coach for the Tampa Bay Rays, Hendrick rarely makes the papers these days. Many players have since followed his trend-setting ways.

There may be a new silent outfielder in St. Louis as  Colby Rasmus, coming off his second consecutive start and solid performance on Monday night, turned down repeated requests from the press for remarks following the game.

In recent weeks, Rasmus has been a focal point for media as well as fan criticism as his slump in the field and at the plate had reached almost three months in duration. The centerfielder was ceding playing time to fellow left-handed hitter Jon Jay and comments and actions by manager Tony La Russa led to some drawing the conclusion that Rasmus had lost his starting role.

Earlier, remarks made by La Russa just prior to the all-star break regarding Colby’s use of external hitting instruction touched off a firestorm of backlash about the player himself as well as his long-time coach and father, Tony.

Trade rumors, whether founded or not, raced across the sports pages and internet. This remains a hot topic two weeks later.

Against this backdrop, the soft-spoken Rasmus has decided not to talk, apparently to let his play on the field speak for him instead.

On Monday night, several press members, on deadline, expressed immediate concern via Twitter over Rasmus’ new stance. At least one media personality, Brian Stull of 101 ESPN Radio in St. Louis, said he understood Rasmus’ position, drawing disagreement from multiple peers.

Rasmus is in a tough place as everything he says is not only amplified, but also distorted by a subset whose minds have already been made up about him as a player and a person.

Yet if he does not speak, he may take further risk as some will try to view and interpret his actions through their own lenses and may or may not be accurate in their reading of the situation.

Some believe that Rasmus should try to be more open with fans directly, as he was when he granted an extensive television interview with FOX Sports Midwest’s Pat Parris in New York last week.

We have no way of knowing if the 24-year-old’s new stance of silence will change tomorrow or after Sunday’s non-waiver trade deadline has passed, but his father thinks it is a permanent decision.

“I’m betting the house they never get another comment out of him…..ever,” wrote Tony Rasmus, aka RCWarrior, on The Cardinal Nation message board after Monday’s game.

The main question remaining is how long “ever” includes Colby being a member of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Should Colby Rasmus speak with the media?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

121 Responses to “Silent Colby Rasmus?”

IMO he has the right to talk or not talk.A simple ‘no comment” should be his reply.Since he is going silent he will have to produce now or he will be seen in a more negative light by some fans.Now if he can play some defense……………………

• RCWarrior says:

I think you make a good point BW. Fans come to the game to see a player produce on the field, not make you feel all warm and fuzzy by giving a good interview. He should be judged by his play on the field……for better or worse.

• T8Ball says:

A little OT, but involves Colby and “play some defense”: The top of the 8th probably is remembered more for PJ struggling and Lee capping off that struggle with a Slam. It also had 3 rather very decent defensive plays from 3 guys who are often ridiculed fairly or unfairly for their defensive prowess.

Skip with a very good jump on the ball moving laterally and stretching out to stop a double to the wall. Ryan able to stop a seeing eye single up the middle with a dive and turn for the force out. Colby with an excellent belly flop (Lance should have taken notes) for the last out. His ball was particularly difficult, IMO, because it was slicing away from him. He, like skip, seemed to be locked in on it right off the bat.

I was rather impressed.

• DizzyDean17 says:

Perhaps I’m allowing my dislike of Ryan Theriot at shortstop to color my opinion of what I see, but the grounder that he dived for looked like a sure double play to me when it was hit. He was barely able to reach it with a dive.

• T8Ball says:

baby steps with Ryan, that ball could have gotten through and we would have had runners on 1st and 3rd and one out, instead of 2 outs runner on 1st. The play was made a little more difficult b/c Ryan had to turn on the ground make a proper throw. I don’t think he trusts himself to make a quick flip, so he went for the sure out. Watching the replay I thought he held onto the ball too long, but I conclude he was erring on the side of caution.

2. Matt says:

Can’t say I blame Raz, especially with the media doing everything they can to get him run out of town. Why give them something to feed on or his manager something to misinterpret?

• Memphis25 says:

The media isn’t the one hitting .213 since April 15th, if he was hitting over that period we wouldn’t hear anything about him getting traded. He’s been bad and it opened the door for Jay to take some AB’s away and now he’s up to .317 over that same period.

I agree he is accountable for his performance. But I think results would only ease the pressure, not eliminate it. There is so much history and lingering feelings that I think there could be trade rumors even if he was hitting. There was last year, for example.

The media doesn’t care whether Colby hits or doesn’t, they just want a good story. It was the media who made the false assumption that Tony Rasmus was coaching Colby, which started a fan frenzy, which evolved into cries for a trade. The media then fanned the flames by continuing to publish stories meant to keep the anti-Colby sentiment going. The media has never let up for even one day. Other players have had prolonged slumps that have not turned into the media equivalent of a witch hunt like this one has. Colby not hitting is a red herring in this circus.

• Memphis25 says:

Any anti-Colby stuff has been brought on by himself and “Team Rasmus”, do you honestly think we would still have all this drama if he was hitting .280 with a nice OPS and plus defense or if Tony Rasmus wasn’t a household name in Cardinal Nation?

• RCWarrior says:

I agree somewhat. If he was hitting .280 and playing defense like he is capable we wouldn’t be here. Everything else is immaterial.

Feels like a bit of an oversimplification to me. Colby’s average was just fine when the Carlos Quentin rumors came out, for example. There is no doubt his slump made matters worse, but there were issues before 2011 even when he was playing better.

• Memphis25 says:

It ended at .276 after a strong final push but the 2010 season has played much like this one. He got off to a hot start then hit .245 for just over 300 AB with monster games mixed in and then got hot the final 100 AB to salvage the year seeing his BA go from .262 to .276 during September 3rd to October 3rd.

I’m happy to see Colby take some control of this situation. He has been everybody’s target for weeks. The die hards are going to keep shooting regardless so why give them more ammunition.

• friendmouse says:

I agree whole-heartedly, cw. I believe he should give the press the silent treatment. He has been more than gracious in the past, and what did that get him? If anything, more grief probably based, at least in part, on his wonderful (and I mean that seriously) southern drawl and manner of speaking. The “elite” press, who pride themselves on proper syntax, grammar, and pronunciation, tend to judge many of us southern-types with a bias…assuming we’re un-educated and “hick-ish”.

On a separate not, cw, so you don’t believe Bono is / was an Astros fan, huh? You’re probably right. I was watching on FoxSports-Houston last evening. Congrats (I guess?) to you.

• friendmouse says:

Sorry…I meant “separate note”…above.

I’m sorry FM, I don’t understand what you are talking about.

• friendmouse says:

Okay…never mind. Someone on one of their “in-game” tweets or Facebook posts or something, someone (I thought was you…same name, I think) made the winning tweet concerning the sod issues stemming from the replacement turf post-U2 concert. Obviously it was not you after all.

I did post a tweet that Bono was not an Astros fan, but I didn’t know it was broadcast. Was it just on Fox Sports Houston? I watched the game on FSMidwest and don’t recall seeing that. Do you remember at what point it was in the game?

• Bw52 says:

crdswmn-most fans are shooting at the lousy BA,lazy defense and perceived lack of give-a-damn.

Are you on Twitter BW? Do you read the PD’s Cards Talk Forum? There are fans that have been shooting at Colby since last year.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn- no twitter.Do read Cards talk and others.Some fans are going to be happy until either TLR leaves and some fans are fed up with Colbys inconsistent play,lazy defense and laid back attitude.For myself i was glad to see Colby get to STlouis.I had high hopes he would mature and get along with his manager after last seasons mess.I wanted Colby to be the next homegrown star for the Cards.Nowdays i have doubts of that happening for several reasons.So whats best for the Cards…………………If Cards can get real value then make a trade.Sometimes a change of scenery to a more low key manager might make Colby play up to his potential without the high expectations in STlouis.

• RCWarrior says:

Great post BW. I don’t think Colby needs a more low key manager or city. But there have been comments made to the media that have forever buried him in St. Louis that were not made by him to the media. He has no agenda other than to play baseball. Unfortunately there are other agendas at work which take precedence over playing baseball.

• RCWarrior says:

Well BW, I don’t blame them for the bad BA or the less than stellar defense. But its the perceived lack of give a damn that I take issue with. Because thats 180 degrees from being the truth.

• Bw52 says:

RCW-you did notice the “perceived” part.Maybe some fans mistake laid back attitude as lazy or not running helter-skelter and diving (ala Edmonds) as lack of hustle.Whatever the case the lack of urgency is always one of the gripes by most fans.

4. Leebo says:

I think it is the right move. I have seen no player(especially a young player) get such scrutiny and from his first day, as what CR has received. The only player that comes close is JD Drew.

Colby was very early on labled as Luhnow’s boy and was isolated by coaches and players. He was, at least, lightly hazed by the teams star Albert Pujols and was shown open hostility by players such as Rick Ankiel. And the St. Louis media, a sorry lot, as always take their cues from the coaches. It has been open season on Colby since then. I would love to see colby develop here, but Larussa is a genius and he will decide who will be a superstar in St. Louis and he won’t be challenged by the eunuchs in the St. Louis media. As much as I would prefer to have Colby become a star here in St. Louis, TLR, the media, and the very vocal idiots that make up a very noisy minority of Cardinal fans will make it almost impossible to succeed here, so it is probably best if we trade him to somewhere he will be treated decently. Until then he should just play ball, nothing he can possibly say will be presented in a way that will help him.

Not having access, I can’t know for sure, so maybe the coaches and media are correct about Colby. He is just a brooding, unmotivated, overrated dunce who we should get rid of while we have the chance. I guess only time will tell, but I am betting Colby becomes a big time ball player once he is somewhere that doesn’t treat him as a whipping boy and scapegoat for an underachieving team and coaching staff.

• friendmouse says:

Leebo, perhaps you’re my long-lost twin! I couldn’t agree more with what you’ve said…and you said it well.

I like Colby a heck of a lot…and wish there was some way where we could get a collective “do over.” …to turn back the clock and start fresh- no history- with Colby. I’ve always believed…and continue to believe…that Colby will be a star in this league for years to come. Unfortunately, so long as TLR and company are here, I don’t think it will happen in St. Louis. I’m not saying (necessarily) that TLR should go; only that I’m afraid the chances of Colby thriving under LaRussa are quite slim. I believe TLR will manage one more year, get his position in 2nd place amongst “winningest” managers of all time, and then set sail for California to skin some cats. Can Colby wait for that to happen? Yeah, I believe he could…but WILL he? Or, will “The Organization” let him? That is a future secret…but time will tell. My “all-important” vote (yeah, right!) is that Colby stays.

5. T8Ball says:

Are NBA players the only ones obligated to talk to the media? Before and After the games? I seem to remember if they refuse they are fined. I don’t hear about that happening in baseball. And I’m not sure about other sports.

6. jonseals says:

I have mixed feelings about this. I’ve done a million interviews and there’s nothing more frustrating for a journalist than someone who won’t give you any information. I’ve thrown a handful of fits over things like this before and I know I’d be furious if I were covering the Cardinals.

On the other hand, I think Colby has every right to avoid the media. At a time like this, when his play on the field isn’t the hottest story, it’s probably best for him to keep his mouth shut. It’s best to say nothing rather than say something he may regret.

Opening himself up to criticism from people who buy ink by the barrel isn’t real smart, but I don’t blame him.

Interesting question. Given where he is right now, is he prone to receive more criticism if he talks or if he does not talk? What would be more intense and specific?

• RCWarrior says:

Could not receive more criticism than he is now imo Brian so why not try the silent approach.

• Bw52 says:

RCW-most fans don`t really give a damn about Colby`s relationship with the media.Just produce on the field .

• RCWarrior says:

I’ve parroted this exact statement BW. Your play on the field is all that should matter.

But do you not think it the job of a newspaper guy to write stories that he believes will sell newspapers or get hits on the web site? Even if those stories are partly fabricated. I say don’t give them any ammunition to use while they try to concoct a juicy story and take bits and pieces of what you say to recreate a totally different meaning out of your words. I say let them create their works of fiction without your help. ;)

• jonseals says:

That’s true. The reporters have already been spinning a lot of dubious stories. I was thinking more about the columnists and radio talk show hosts. Bernie Miklasz and Bryan Burwell, for instance, have been relatively balanced with their opinions.

Just prior to this comment, Leebo said, “(Rasmus) is just a brooding, unmotivated, overrated dunce who we should get rid of while we have the chance.” The P-D columnists haven’t gone that far in print.

Playing games with columnists makes them pissy and childish. If this were New York, I’m certain someone would have already called Colby every name in the book.

(While I write this, I wonder what Kevin Slaten has said. I can’t stand that guy, so I don’t listen to his show, but this situation seems right up his alley.)

• Kansasbirdman says:

Well, certain journalists have been taking quotes out of context and citing “facts”, not just facts but quotes from supposed insiders about how they (and their families?) feel about Colby or his family- all mind you from unnamed sources. Multiple instances of this. Wasn’t it Bush that said the media is a “filter”? I would be worried that every thing I said would be spun for an agenda. Sad it is like this bc not all journalists are that way, but several that seem to have an agenda are the ones fanning the flames and pushing the narrative.

It’s like my boss says, hard to win a war against those that purchase their ink by the barrell.

Derrick Goold and I had an extended conversation last night on Twitter about the value of “unnamed sources”. He defended them as an important and legitimate tool of journalists; I said, at least in the case of the Colby falderal, that they were nothing but unsubstantiated noise. Unfortunately, I think I am in the minority and those “sources” are turning Colby and his family into
        objects of hatred with some fans.

• Kansasbirdman says:

I agree that unnamed sources have a valuable purpose, but, they should only be used when necessary. When abused they they will lose their credence. When there is an obvious agenda the writer should have to support with more direct evidence. Also, when citing an unnamed source about their own, or especially an aquaintance of their’s opinion about something or someone, it should be given very little weight, we don’t know what they said, and can’t rely on the writer to interpret their feelings about the subject. Give the quote at the very least. Don’t summarize the unnamed source’s opinion or especially their opinion about someone else’s opinion.

Also, nice word drop Crdswmn, “falderal” is used in one of my fav Lemon Jelly songs.

I limited my criticism of the use of unnamed sources in that conversation to the recent stories about Colby. Too much controversy and appearance of agendas to make their use credible. Obviouly, Goold did not agree, but then he did not agree with my premise about controversies and agendas, either. ;)

CBS national writer Danny Knobler just tweeted this:

“Cards now appear to be shopping Rasmus widely. Nationals, who need CF and have pitching, had scout in STL last night.”

He also said the Giants are watching as a fallback if they don’t get Beltran.

FOX’s Jon Paul Morosi has mentioned Seattle is interested.

Does scouts coming to games necessarily mean Colby is being “shopped”? Do they have to be invited?

• T8Ball says:

well, it’s Colby’s fault. If he would have addressed the media after the game, he could have told them the reason the scouts were there……..:)

oh, this is too fun

• T8Ball says:

Seriously………Colby’s play last night spoke volumes. And as a fan, that’s enough for me.

Stay in the zone, kid, limit the distractions and walk away if necessary.

Scouts are not invited. However, teams have a limited number of them so cannot be everywhere at once. They are going to assign them where they have the greatest interest.

Still, there is wide gulf between that and Mo calling a number of other GMs to see what he can get in an offer. That is how I would define “widely shopping.”

The 140-character limitation of Twitter does not help in fully understanding tweets like that.

• friendmouse says:

By my estimation, he had about 20 – 30 characters left in his limit to clarify. Just sayin’. :)

• Kansasbirdman says:

Do scouts have to purchse tickets? Are they given seats upon request? Do they ever try to go incognito or would there be a reason to? Do teams know who the scouts are?

Scouts are given comp passes and sit in a designated section behind home plate. They do not have field or clubhouse access. Teams know them and they all know each other. It is a tight-knit community.

So scouts become aware that a certain player may be up for grabs (say by a media fueled feeding frenzy to trade a player) and so they request passes to a game or games to watch that player play. Since teams (and probably media that cover baseball) know those scouts, they see them at games where that player is playing and therefore that means that player is being
              “shopped”. Am I close? :)

• southeast redbird says:

Scouts are always at games, but more so when they hear that a team is looking to trade a particular player.

I think it’s a darn shame what has taken place with Colby, enough is enough already, I feel sad for him. I don’t know any other young player that has had to endure this. As a parent watching this happen to my player, I would be livid.

If he wants out, I hope it happens, he can go somewhere else , be happy and flourish.

8. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Curious thread…………………. the ruse in conjunction with the White Sox was exposed……as a motivational tool….. aimed at both sides……….Mo put out “for sale” vibes on Lohse in 08… at 12-3…just to seem what value he had……….. What does anyone here think CR should say to the press? …write that down ……. If I were Theriot, I would hesitate on a few balls too………he has no future here…… good time to press for a trade for himself………….. Berkman likely sits again……probably spells AP when he returns……………….

AP is morphing toward his old habits……….he is playing with his swing plane though…he tilts up to 60/70 degrees yesterday………sometime bouncing the bat back down to 30 degrees on the read………he has learned something………. that said……..he is just a tougher out at this point……….his original intention is arising through the injury posture………..

A Rasmus trade is much more interesting in a larger framework…………. hardly what your talking about…………………………I would also remind everyone of Jays proclivity for “underachieving” when there isn’t any pressure……….. he is not…….a complex person………..

Do I think they trade CR?……………… hell yes, they’ve given him B Ryan status at this point…….. that is just a flexibility added by the organization…………Colby will not go to a contender…….if he goes at all…………… they may try to bundle him with Theriot just to obscure exchange values……..

• RCWarrior says:

Give us the predictions WC….you know me, I’m always in for a good read. :)

There is open warfare at this point friend ………….. Mo is capable of creating (probable) this distraction to avoid……..or better yet, retaliate against some of Tony’s “slash and burn” demonstrations. Kenny W. is just the kind of guy to share an understanding with someone he is having a dialog with……lets scratch backs………….. the rest is just a circus……..Mo’s attempt at stirring it up…….. do I think we take on salary? Not unless they are sure of AP’s destination………. if he is staying…….they don’t want to win………… if they know with some security that he has been placed…….they might make a little push……….. bottom line…….there is a real competition at this point…..everyone needs the same things………… If someone makes an offer on Colby that Mo can’t refuse, especially in a salary bail scenario……….he’s gone………. it all rides on the big picture though……….. we can’t win as it stands…..Berkman/Holiday do not respond to an AP killing/celebration……. Colby’s Hr on Sunday was nice………yesterday…terrible pitch into his wheel house……… that deserved to be crushed…….. both shots were on top of AP struggling bones…and that is the issue here………… if Colby will start dropping his hands “situationally” he will start hitting………….good teams won’t allow him to beat take the ball out front……Pittsburg and Houston just don’t qualify……………………………. all that said……..when he swings and hit it…….it is a thing of beauty……..purity…….. grace………. ……….end this adversarial posture with future earnings…..and they will just jump in your lap like a love sick puppy………

So, you think there is open warfare between TLR and Mo over Colby? Hmmmmm.

• RCWarrior says:

This is not news. The July press releases that TLR feels the need to hand out about Colby haven’t accomplished anything but to vilify him. And subsequently cost Mo negotiating leverage imo. Now you are having to try to trade someone and get .50 on the dollar. By declaring Jay the starter teams then knew they wouldn’t need to be offering even value for Colby because he wasn’t a starter. Just my take.

Well, then maybe Mo just needs to stand up to TLR and not trade Colby at all. Easier said than done maybe since I am not Mo.

What a mess. A mess that could have been avoided if a certain person could keep his narcissistic personality disorder in check.

Its not about that “chump” change RC………. the illusion of who fits in the Cardinal mystique….and who doesn’t…………..is worth a fortune………… Theriot was a complete failure in Chicago and LA……….we decided he was a Cardinal type…………and a good player……….that power/illusion……..is worth a fortune………look what AP is attempting to “steal” from it………….

• Bw52 says:

RCW- If Colby hadn`t played like crap then Jay wouldn`t be in this situation.Colby is supposed to be a big boy now.Lousy play put Colby in the doghouse.

• RCWarrior says:

whoa now BW. You’ve never read one word from me regarding Jay playing over Colby. I actually have stated many time that Jay should be playing. Just play Jay and let Mo make a deal real quiet like….in the dark. No need to say anything in the public.

Well if playing “like crap” means the player must be traded, then Theriot should be on a plane any time now.

• Bw52 says:

drdswmn-Like i said before…………………….Seattle has a blog with room for you.

• RCWarrior says:

Oh BW, see you just have to take personal jabs at people who don’t agree with you. That continues to be sad.

Like I said before, I am the sheriff here. Play by the rules or do not post.

• Bw52 says:

Brian-just enforce the rules evenly.

• RCWarrior says:

BW, talking about Theriot is fair game, just like criticizing Colby is fair game. When Crdswmn tells you to take your old azz somewhere else then she will have crossed the line. But to my knowledge she has not done that. ;)

There seems to be a misunderstanding.

1) People come to sites like this to talk about players. Sometimes their comments are positive. Sometimes they are negative.

2) Some people take shots at other posters personally. Instead of disagreeing with their opinions with counterpoints and logic, they get personal.

#1 is expected. #2 is not allowed here.

I hope that clears it up.

Brian is talking about personal jabs at posters BW. I did not take a shot at you personally—like telling you to post elsewhere.

• Bw52 says:

Crdwmn-Theriot has been a disappooointment.However his team is in contention with warts and all.Brendan Ryan`s team is on a team record 16 game losing streak……..So Brendans defense hasn`t saved seattles bacon.I think even Theriot wiould admit he has had a down year defensively.He has contributed with the bat until his recent slump.Brendan was a black hole on offense last year.

I don’t recall mentioning Brendan Ryan in this thread BW. I simply countered your “Colby plays like crap” with an example of another Cardinal player who has done the same. Theriot’s batting slump has not been quite as prolonged as Colby’s, though it is getting there. Plus Theriot’s defense has been 10 times worse than Colby’s all season.

You may find this hard to believe BW, but I do not spend my days and nights thinking about Brendan Ryan.

• Bw52 says:

crdswmn-You are right.I do find it hard to believe.I do have no doubt a anti-TLR rant or anti-theriot rant will be posted.To each his or her own.

Actually BW, I met Ryan Theriot when I was at the Blue Jays game with RC and was on the field for BP. He was a very nice man. I liked him. But my liking him personally does not negate the fact that his play has been very poor.

RC, I may agree with the bottom line that it will be hard to get full value for Colby, I do not think making Jay the starter for a week changes other teams’ view of Colby’s value, however.

Colby is hardly the focus CRD………….he is the chew toy………. his substance is the representative dynamic in the “confrontation” over “on field and off field” interests………he always has been…… Mo/BD took a 4 million dollar loss on Kennedy just to give him birth…..let alone the Chris D “extraction”…..if Mo is giving Colby up……………….. there is a reason……. the WSox ply makes me think Mo is at play……………and hey……Sox won…Colby goes yard again………they’re doing their jobs……….

• Bw52 says:

Westy -explain the “they don`t want to win line”. Curious to know the thinkng involved in that .

9. Kansasbirdman says:

Who is in the pic with Colby above Brian?

I am sorry but I do not know his name. He just happened to be standing on the opposite side from me as we were interviewing Colby during Winter Warm Up in January. There were at least a dozen other media types in front of Colby, not in my shot.

Tuesday lineup: Schumaker, 2b; Jay, rf; Pujols, 1b; Holliday, lf; Freese, 3b; Rasmus, cf; Molina, c; Descalso, ss; Westbrook, p.

Berkman sits again. One-day rotator cuff injuries seem unlikely to this Holiday Inn Express customer.

Not bad. Would rather see Punto at 2B though.

• RCWarrior says:

Yea this Berkman injury could put a huge roadblock in the Colby trade scenario. But Craig is returning right around the corner. We’ll see.

• Bw52 says:

RCW-if Craig comes and Berkman goes on 15 DL would the Cards decide to deal Colby if the right players are offered? Would Mo take a chance?

• RCWarrior says:

I’ve said this many times BW. Colby is expendable with jon Jay playing a solid CF and doing a excellent job of getting on base. I also believe Jon provides more value to the Cardinals than he would in a trade.

That being said Colby would appear to be the player with which you could shore up your rotation and quite possibly add a reliever as well. No way do the Cardinals trade Shelby or Martinez imo so Colby would appear to be the only real chip with which to add the players needed to make a push this year.

There is no doubt that Mo would deal Colby if he got the right deal. The problem Mo has is that everyone in the dugout doesn’t seem to be on the same page as far as trying to keep said players value from falling off the cliff. Mo has to get a name for Colby though because when Colby lands elsewhere he will almost certainly play much better than he has to date in St. Louis and Mo doesn’t want to be left with a bag of balls when that happens. You see that will look bad. The problem is that Colby will be making around the 2 mil mark next year and what if Tony chooses to continue to play Jay. Then Colby becomes an expensive bench player.

My personal feelings about Colby and this situation aside, what happens if Colby is traded and Jay’s performance takes a nose dive like it did last year after Ludwick was traded? If Colby is traded and no big name player is received in return, wouldn’t that make the backlash even worse? That has to be on Mo’s mind. And if that happens or Jay is injured and is unable to play for a significant length of time, who will play in CF? Skip is the only guy on the current 25 man that I can think of who can play CF and he would not be a popular replacement for Jay. There is Chambers in the minors but can he fill Jay’s shoes?

I think there is danger here that very few are considering.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn-i think that a portion of the fanbase will always be mad no matter what Mo does with Colby or any other moves made or not made.Trading Colby is a risk in several ways;Colby could turn into a star elsewhere or on the otherhand Colby could flame out and be what he is now at best.Or the player received for Colby could not perform in STL.Any trade is a risk.The big question now is what will be better for the team……………..
              If Jay falters can the Cards win with Schumaker in CF? Cards would lose some power and possibly gain in defense a bit.Its a catch-22 situation.What is better for the Cardinals on the field,in the clubhouse etc;.

Sure every trade is a risk, but there is more of a risk when you trade a player like Colby in the middle of the season when the team is in a playoff race. If you trade him in the offseason, the impact is less. That is my point.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn- the question then is “will the player or players offered for Colby improve the team in a area we need help in/”.The next part of the question is ” Do we have a adequate replacemenmt for Colby?”
                  Third part of the question is ” Do we feel losing Colby`s offense and potential can be offset by the potential gain of the player received in trade/”
                  If Jon Jay contiues to play the same how much impact would trading Colby have if Cards received a young starter?

My post was premised on the risks involved if Jay DOESN’T continue to play the same or gets hurt. If trading Rasmus now would garner us a top tier starter or a 2nd or 3rd starter plus a decent reliever, then that’s one thing. I doubt that would be the case because we would selling low on Rasmus if we traded him now. If the trade only garnered us marginal players and Jay went down, in the middle of a playoff race, that would be disaster, imo.

Brian, I think maybe a post of mine has been filterized. :)

11. southeast redbird says:

Interesting discussion, I hope that things work out for CR.

Berkman back in the lineup. Holliday sick.

As noted above, Holliday is out ill. New lineup:

Schumaker 4, Jay 7, Pujols 3, Berkman 9, Freese 5, Rasmus 8, Molina 2, Descalso 6, Westbrook 1.

Apparently Berkman is playable after all…

It should be apparent that Berkman’s position was to get rested while Colby was being shown without bothering Jay…………….If Holiday isn’t sick, Berman returns Wednesday at 1st…….resting AP before the Cubs series……….. keeping Colby on the field by necessity……not preference…….. all the talk is just covering a plan that shows Mo working with Tony to shape public perception………. since I really can’t divine what Colby’s preference is………….. I don’t no what his incentive might be………I’m guessing….as I’ve always said………always play well……..with abandon…… the bigger the chew toy…….the smaller the dogs………..

Jay and Rasmus are different talents. Jay has always hit for average, whereas Rasmus has long hit with power. The two men are playing this year as they long have. Nobody has fallen apart. Rasmus tends to be a streaky player, who can go through extended cold snaps.

Then something else happens, within the dynamic of a season. Teams need to try to make some trades to adjust to their current season circumstance. Wainwright emerged as hurt this spring, we tried McClellan as his back-fill, and while Kyle has done a solid job, he is getting worn down under the workload of a starter.

Because the Cards have two good players who play CF, this makes CF a possible surplus, during 2011. In 2012, Berkman will be elsewhere, so there is a case to be made the Cards should preserve Rasmus for 2012, when we will need his left swing, after Lance has departed.

Mo probably wants to win the division real bad in 2011. He wants a good starting pitcher and a good lefty reliever. Rasmus has good trade value. If Rasmus gets traded, I think it will be mostly because of an unusual alignment of circumstances, rather than owe to his performance or personalities.

On a slightly related Colby topic-Washington obtained OF Johnny Gomes from the Reds today for a AA 1B and A single A LHP. Washington was one of the teams interested in Colby.Strange move by Walt Jodketty unless freeing up cash for another deal.

Holy cow the blog was busy today. Enjoyed the discussion. Lucky for everybody my work schedule prevents me from clogging things up with useless drivel. Have to go to bed around 8.

I didn’t listen to radio or TV today, just now found out we crushed them last night. Big night for Colby and Yadi. Unusual to win big when the leadoff man goes Ofer.

We’ve got a whole lot of young guys on the team and I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them, besides Colby, was part of a multi team multi player deal. Probably want to move Miller too, and his salary. And Theriot. Have to take them if you want Colby.

Or maybe two seperate trades.

I guess Colby forgot its his job to call off the corner outfielder. Glad they didn’t collide.

19. Kansasbirdman says:

Hope Berkman is okay

20. Kansasbirdman says:

This lineup doesn excite as much without some combo of AP, Matt, and Berkman. As I write that Freese goes yard, saweeet :-)

21. Kansasbirdman says:

I like Skip Schu, he cauught that fly and threw like he plays OF everyday. I wonder when the last time he started there regularly, 2008?

22. Kansasbirdman says:

Rick Horton just word dropped ‘panacea’ on the post game when talking about instant replay.