La Russa: Rasmus still not listening to coaches

In a Tuesday afternoon video interview, the manager of the St. Louis Cardinals expresses continued concern over his centerfielder Colby Rasmus.

Despite his home runs on Sunday and Monday, St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Colby Rasmus is still not doing what his manager Tony La Russa expects – taking direction from his major league coaching staff.

Concluding a 90-second video interview prior to Tuesday’s game with Rasmus as the subject, KSDK NewsChannel 5’s Frank Cusamano and La Russa had the following exchange.

Cusamano: “And he is listening?”

La Russa: “Well, he is listening to somebody.”

Cusamano: “Is he listening to the Cardinals coaches and manager?”

La Russa: “No, he doesn’t listen to the Cardinals coaches much now and that is why he gets in these funks, in my opinion. You stay with basic of what they teach you, then he’d have a … but actually, I feel concern for him because he hears it from so many places, he’s got to be confused.”

At that point, La Russa ended the interview and walked away.

Prior to the All-Star break, back on July 10, the manager made comments expressing concern over Rasmus’ external hitting instruction. Those earlier remarks can be read here. Since then, Rasmus has been at the center of numerous trade rumors.

Video of Tuesday audio interview from KSDK.com:

Can La Russa and Rasmus coexist?

• No. A trade is needed. (58%, 190 Votes)
  • Only if Rasmus changes. (22%, 74 Votes)
  • Only if La Russa changes. (10%, 34 Votes)
  • Yes. (8%, 27 Votes)
  • No opinion. (2%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 330

Loading ... Loading ...

70 Responses to “La Russa: Rasmus still not listening to coaches”

Somebody make it stop.

2. RCWarrior says:

ha ha. Funny stuff. :)

The quotes above represent the focused intention of TLR……………… the real information is couched in all that Garbled stuttering about Mo and the Rumors………..listen closely…………. Tony has taken a position, similar to Brendan Ryan………….. Mo has to play BD’s position(???) without seeming to disagree or disturb in anyway, what is happening on the field…………. Tony was talking at Mo there…..not the fans………… RC……. Colby’s last strikeout was from the classic textbook scouting report………. His intention is so obvious…….he is a duck………..first pitch away…crowd him up and in……… let him pull a foul…. bury the slider down and in… and he will chase it like a lost kitten…………. Berkman is going to take a few days…………….. Colby has 20 AB’s………..it would be lucky for him if he used a more balanced approach……………. and that is the issue…………side with BD/Mo…….they are the big dogs…..Tony is just barking…………….. Colby could easily be in AAA in August……with another team………… or this team ………… Tony will just set him down…….. if Mo doesn’t move him…thats the threat……….

This is the issue…………………..Colby is small potatoes………… there are bigger fish in play…….. it is probably unwise for you to be standing up in the boat as this storm rolls in. Don’t become a victim here yourself…………innocent or not……….

couldn’t help but notice the difference in Jay’s demeanor……. he tried to focus……..he just tightens up when it’s his job to take……….

In most jobs when the employee doesn`t listen to the boss…………..the employee is usually gone sooner or later.This situation just seems to fester and fester.This issue needs to be resolved one way or another .

4. Kansasbirdman says:

Good grief, our manager is a little too autonomous imo. Its one thing to prefer a certain type of player, and another to throw a fit when you don’t get what you want.

5. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

This is bazaar……. To better the team, Theriot must go………. And yet Tony absolutely hopes here to clarify what he hopes Mo does….or needs to do…..and its not Theriot………. its sick……….and weak talk about finding lefty relief?????????????????? like we can carry two more Franklin’s around………not even just using a couple more healthy right handed relievers to help with the load………… because Tony likes to change and match up pitchers….like spare tires….even if they’re flat tires……………..??????

Can anyone here actually outline for us the fundamental points of contention that Tony is speaking of surrounding Colby’s choice of hitting styles. What exactly is the advice from Tony’s coaches that he is ignoring?

TLR has some good ideas and he also seems to suffer from some ungood ideas. Among good ideas, it was a good to land Matt Holiday and Lance Berkman. It was not a good idea to surrender Dan Haren for Mark Mulder. It was not a good idea to harass Rolen so much, he demanded a trade.
    I wish TLR would leave the subject of Rasmus alone. There was Silent George. Now there is Silent Colby. I wish there could be Silent Tony.

You have mixed up some of the GM’s moves with the manager’s actions, but the closing makes your point. At this stage of the journey, TLR is what he is. I included the “TLR change” option in the voting for completeness, but I have no expectation it would occur. Not being critical. Just realistic.

TLR publicly declared he was responsible for the Haren/Mulder trade. Whether to believe, I dunno.

I just listened to the TLR tape. I would not term it “harsh.” TLR is a straight shooter. He got asked a question, he answered. He made his point, but not harshly, in my view. Its just factual. Rasmus had his own hitting coach. Anytime anybody is in a slump, they can get lots of advice from lots of people, some of it conflicted. Rasmus is no different.

Should people in positions of authority say everything they are thinking? How would making those repeated comments to the media about the player supposedly being uncoachable help the player improve? How would they positively impact the team? How does it affect Rasmus’ value to other teams? The only public benefit I can see is to increase fan support for a trade.

Someone says why not silent tony? Then you will have somebody say “he doesn`t talk to the players
    You will notice Tony wasvery complimentary about Colby and then he added “IMO” to why he thinks Colby gets in his funks.
    This whole situation is coming to a boil.So who will be the responsible party when this situation comes to a head? What`s the right thing to do.IMO the right thing is to do whats best for the STlouis Cardinals.I If Colby and all parties cannot co-exists then its time to trade Colby.I don`t want that.I hoped there could be a agreement for the good of the team.

Aren’t there better ways to talk to players than through the media? Obviously, this situation was already very volatile. There are GMs and agents, etc. if one-to-one isn’t working. One might draw the conclusion that the frustration level is very high for these kinds of public remarks to be continuing.

• Bw52 says:

Brian-obviously the player isn`t listening no matter which method is tried.Frustration all around by all parties.That tells me somebody has got to go……………………………IMO bye bye Colby.

My bottom line is that I see Rasmus as being an important asset of the Cardinals and as long as he remains with them, the focus should be on maximizing his value both internally and externally, not diminishing it.

• RCWarrior says:

Agreed Bling. Mo is at the point where he needs to grab on to the best offer and lets end this saga. ;)

Your reaction is predictable, RC. We’d miss you here… ;-)

• RCWarrior says:

Well lets be honest Brian, there is just no need to continue with this type of stuff. Where is the benefit? Now after this last TLR blurb I just feel that you may be fixing to get into a war of words with the player. I’m almost certain of it. The team is in first place….how can this be helpful?

RC, just to clarify, do you mean why am I writing about it or why is TLR continuing to talk about it?

• RCWarrior says:

No Brian, TLR made it news by saying it. You did your job by reporting it……it is news. Heck as a reporter I’d hope he had something juicy to say day after day.

I’m saying where is the positive?

I think you take the high road the first time this mess is brought up but when it pops up again I believe you are forcing the player to defend himself…..which can’t be a positive. Again the teams in first place.

I just don’t get it.

We all know the outcome RC wants. He has his reasons and they are valid. His perspective is that of a parent; the rest of us have the perspective of a Cardinal fan. The two don’t mesh in this case.

I guess I take a different view about the situation, albeit probably not a realistic one, but that’s just me. People have analogized the situation to that of an employer/employee with TLR as the employer and Colby as the employee. Well, TLR is an employee too, He has a boss. This continuing criticism of Colby in the media is harmful to the franchise whether the criticism is valid or not. It not only diminishes Colby’s trade value, it just looks bad. As an employee therefore, TLR is causing harm to his employer. His employer needs to put a stop to it. Of course, the harm may have already been done, but Mo needs to take charge of the situation and not let TLR run amok anytime he wants. Otherwise, just put TLR in charge of it all so I can go find another baseball team to root for.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn-you call it running amok.I call it answering a question he was asked.

• Bw52 says:

Crdswmn-you want to put a gag order on the manager because he speaks his mind.You do notice TLR was complimentary of Colbys talent in that clip also.Okay i get it now….only nice stuff allowed.I am surprised at your last comment.That says something about loyalty to a team.Haven`t there been other managers that you disliked? Myself i disliked Vern Rapp but i was still a Cards fan.

I have been a Cardinals fan the entire 16 years TLR has managed. I can tolerate him as a manager because as a manager there are supposed to be checks. I will always be a fan in my heart, but actively supporting a team with TLR in charge is a different matter.

Managers should not be allowed to speak their mind when it damages the franchise, BW.

• Bw52 says:

crdswmn-So the next step is to ask questions that a honest answer might be considered damaging to the franchise.Or the TV and radio guys can`t say anything that might damage the franchise.How did you feel about Jack Clark and his comments last season.I think you where in the front row defending Clarks tirade.

BW I am no longer responding to you. I can’t do it and abide by the rules.

I apologize for the video autoplaying each time the page is reloaded. I have spent an hour trying different parameter options to disable that function but have given up as I believe it was preset and cannot be overridden. I would still rather keep the video here than link to it externally. Again, sorry for any irritation this causes.

Appears Edwin Jackson of the W.Sox is out of the picture. Jackson close to going to Toronto.

Could still be a three-team trade I guess.

• RCWarrior says:

My intel supports this statement Brian.

• STLfan51 says:

As a lifelong Cardinal fan and first time poster I can say this sucks. I realize that this Colby situation is long winded and beyond repair. In this business this is how things are dealt with unfortunately. My disappointment comes from being a fan of the game. A fan of a game where being a kid doens’t seem that long ago. And as a fan of the Cardinals I have come to love watching the Center Fielders we have had. In my time McGee, Lankford, and Edmonds. Thats 3 pretty damn good players!! When I first heard of this Colby kid I couldn’t wait to see him come up. The timing was perfect for the “new guy in line”. And let me say I was impressed. I was sure he was the next in line, a pleasure to watch roam CF for years to come. Taking it a step further, I was excited for him being a middle lineup guy to build around as well. Aside from the promise of Colby seemingly going to another team, the thing as a fan that gets me is Colby didn’t seem to have any support in STL. Whether from management, front office, THE TEAM etc, it seemed he was on an island. I’m not niave enough to think that Colby has no responsibilty in this, he does. But aren’t the young guys supposed to be groomed, mentored, brought along???? When the business shows it’s ugly side it is unfortunate to the fans. And to Colby I wish the best. To RC it has been a pleasure following your posts on baseball in general and your perspective as a parent of a big leaguer. How proud you must be. Hopefully he stays and we get to watch him in STL but…..

10. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

You’re growing up CRD……….. Tony has been forced into these tactics for years now. He knows its not about baseball ………. he knows how they are running this business ……… he is fighting for his life at this point……..his career……. he knows Colby is the only currency they will use…….and he needs pitching to win………..and he knows it will take pitching because of yesterdays offensive display against pathetic pitching ………….. its difficult to see the outcome of this situation………one thing I would bet on…………. RC you’re going to get hammered one way or another here ……. from the Front office here….or where he lands ………. I see the logic of Colby’s current approach………. I also see all the connecting support mechanisms for such a structure…….. better get out your hard hat friend unless you know exactly where this slow motion crash is going to land …………

11. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Jackson is a hot property league wide………..yes the Jays will turn him……… Colby is a good return for absorbing the Tehean contract………………… but we are talk Scott Boras and FAency again……… we are talking about all of the starters under long range deals………… unless Boras will be the excuse for him being just a rental player in the end…………….. it is a perfect BD scenario, you must admit………..

• Kansasbirdman says:

Well, if you’re right WC. Then if CR goes and over the next years flourishes, will the fans’ (pro CR or anti CR) memories recall we let go a high ceiling player at low salary for a rental? And if so will there be as much coverage and vocal uproar? Doubt it bc it seems to be the St. Louis media that is fanning the flames and they will be unlikely to point out a prior mistake.
      Which on a related topic calls into question the motives for such continued recent coverage (besides the fact that drama sells). It is known that when a new administration or person takes over an entity or position that journalists will sometimes write a puff piece favorably describing the subject that is intended to put them into the subject’s (and future “source”‘s) good graces. Such a piece is called a “beat sweetener”. Can we call into question a possible motive for the local media to run a story someone from the org wants to implicitly or explicitly secure that sources access in the future? In MLB many backroom deals occur re: trades and player contracts and a journalist lives and dies by their access to get the story out first.

12. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Wow…………………..Octavio………… and a lefty……….. I’m wondering if this gets Lynn back to the farm………….where they want him……..

1 year/$3.5M (2011), plus 2012 club option

signed by Toronto as a free agent 1/3/11
    11:$2.75M, 12:$3.5M club option ($0.75M buyout)

13. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Get ready for a show from Dave Duncan…….. these guys aren’t pitch to contact………. we will be releasing a few pitchers it looks like……….. Miller? PJ will go down…….. has to be one more to make room for KMac…

14. WestCoastbirdWatcher says:

Does this end up to be a ZERO cash deal?………… Sure looks like it on the old abacus………..

Looks like we are getting just enough cash to cover the Jackson, Dotel disparity………. anything over a million has to be approved by the commissioner…………………

crdswmn-fine by me.Same thing happening here.

16. Kansasbirdman says:

Well shoot, hopefully this trade works out for the Cardinals and Colby (I think he got shafted from the start). I hope we don’t get into a rental situation, but I am glad to see we might finally get some pitching because the Giants and Phillies (maybe even the brewers) are gonna be tough to beat with their rotations for a few years. So, with that a couple of questions.

Does Jackson start Saturday in place of McClellan and Kmac go directly back to the BP as a long reliever? And if so when does he make his first appearance in the pen? To add to that, is Lohse’s finger fully healed enough for him to start Friday (apparenlty he was throwing not full speed Tuesday). Or since Jackson and Loshe both had thier last start on the 24th would Jackson pitch Friday to give Loshe one more day rest? (Would that put Jackson ahead of him in the rotation thus engendering some hard feelings?). It would be cool to get to see him make his first start when I am there on Friday.

Then second query- RC, what are the Toronto dogs like? They put canadian bacon on those things? Hope all the best, I’ll root for Colby (but not when he plays the Cardinals).

• Kansasbirdman says:

Good article and good questions brought up. I kinda had some of the same query’s on my post so I guess the answers aren’t available yet if you don’t know either. (Like is Kmac going back to the pen, and if so when).

As far as the long term effects/benefits, I suppose a lot remains to be seen. I am not for certain we got the best end of the bargain (especially if we have to deal with boras in the postseason). I would be more optimistic if we got Hellickson, who seems to be a Jaime Garcia type player- really good pitcher with lots of years left, and salary on the low side.

Brian, can we get a new thread for the game? I can’t tolerate having to listen to the interview anymore.

18. friendmouse says:

Two things, cw…
    First, doesn’t your computer have a “mute?” That eliminates the “noise.”
    Second…I posted this in “reply” to your post on yesterday’s thread…concerning your tweet about U2 and new turf…

cw, obviously I do not know if it was JUST on FS-Houston, but that’s where I saw it. It was around the 6th inning, + or -. And yeah, that’s exactly what they attributed to you tweeting…Bono must not be an Astros fan.

Which brings me to another point…why did you (claim) to not understand what I was talking about? :)

19. friendmouse says:

Odd as this may sound, my current emotional state is akin to how you feel when your ol’ dog just lays down and doesn’t wake back up. You realize it was inevitable, and it’s for the best that it happened now and not drag out insufferably. But still…you miss your ol’ buddy, and life is just a bit grayer from his “gone-ness.”
    Obviously, I’m referencing the Colby trade. Durned…we let a good one get away! I think.
    Lord knows, I hope we win the World Series this year. From my vantage point, TLR is going “all in” with that sentiment.
    As I’ve said before, I think TLR will stick around one more year, as his pride insists he becomes the 2nd most winning MGR in MLB history. (Of course, he’d like to be #1, but that is unattainable for him). Some posters here claim certainty that Albert will not be here next year, nor will Lance. Colby’s gone. A case could definitely be made for being “all in” this year, as this well could be TLR’s swan song, because if none of the aforementioned are back next year…well, let’s just say TLR’s probably out the turnstiles as fast as possible following his victory # 2764 and John McGraw is permanently in his rearview mirror. (dumb question, but are (were) John & Tug related?).
    Happy Trails to you, Colby! I’ll still be watching you with awe and intrigue.

Dang, I miss that dog already! [note: by no means am I suggesting Colby was dogging it, or is a dog!] ;)

20. [...] last straw may have been drawn a couple of weeks later. On July 26, La Russa told KSDK’s Frank Cusamano on camera that Rasmus was not listening to Cardinals coaches and his [...]