Checking back on Cardinals releases

In early March during spring training, I ran an article entitled, “How many Cardinals minor league cuts may be coming?” My intent was to estimate how many releases the St. Louis Cardinals might need to make across their system to accommodate the draft class of 2012.

To attempt that, I made some assumptions, including a big one – that no external players would be added during that time. That was not practical, but it was intended to try to keep a stable base. What happened in reality is that the number of releases increased to almost exactly accommodate the additions.

Estimate Thru 7/22
Releases 26 47
Additions 0 25
Draft signees 45 32
Inactives 45 40

In the table above, you can see that while the Cardinals released 47 players, 21 more than I had forecast, they added 25 new recruits during the same time. So considering the totals, the numbers balanced out pretty closely.

With another three weeks to go in the draft signing season, the Cardinals currently have 32 of their 50 drafted players in house. (Two others signed, but their deals have been voided.)

There is still time for my original estimate of 45, consistent with past years, to be achieved. However, it is unlikely to happen as the Cardinals have said they will not sign as many draftees as in the past.

Interestingly, the Cardinals filled a bit of the gap with free agents. Of the 14 external US players added since early March, six are first-time professionals. They are Sean Watson (pictured), Neal Pritchard, Adam Bileckyj, Garrett Wittels, Logan Billbrough and Eric Binder.

I missed in my estimate of inactive players across the system slightly. Only 40 are currently out of action versus my 45 estimate. That total can be highly fluid.

Here are the specifics.

Releases # Names
March 14 Snell Diapoules Summers Squatrito J Martinez Goodwin DeJesus
Beatty McCully Jimenez G Brown M Tapia R Smith Rivera
April 10 C Smith Castro Norrick Bradford Pimentel W Perez Vivas
Bier A Castillo Uribe
May 15 Moss Henley Kulik Valaika R Rodriguez Parejo Frevert R Ramirez
Matos Buursma Guzman King (claim) Solarte Segundo Rundles
June 7 Bogany R Vazquez Cardenas Biserta Batista Franklin Terry
July 1 Zawacki
Total 47
External adds # Names
International 11 Flores Perdomo D Perez Negrette Arias Godoy
Alvarez Salazar L Cruz Mejia Torres
US 14 S Watson Marte (trade) Duncan Todd (claim) Broderick (return) Pritchard Binder
Bileckyj Rundles (resign) Wittels Mahay Boyer Billbrough Lyman
Draft 32 Wong McElroy Peoples-Walls Ehrlich Martini Miranda
Mills Jeffries Maness Stienstra Byrd Williams
Tra Miller Deol Hald Gillung Cornelius McInnis
Apelian Sherriff Bergin Jacob Keener Wyatt
Rahmatulla Ca Rasmus B Watson Patton Melling Knox
Creath Baker
Total 57

Remember that for details on all transactions across the entire Cardinals minor league system, check out the Roster Matrix here at The Cardinal Nation Blog.

Updated. Thanks to JumboShrimp for identifying several missed players in the first posting.

29 Responses to “Checking back on Cardinals releases”

I admit to being lazy to understand about all the numbers. It makes general sense that inputs/outputs are close.
    Looking back at the spring post, HerkS guessed there would be 10 international signees and there are reported to be 11.
    The large roster matrix could add another category: 16 year olds signed, but not available to play in the DSL until next year. Godoy is listed on the DSL roster, but this will be for next year.
    There seem a few more UDFA adds: Lyman (PB); Binder; Billbrough.
    The Cards have done business a little different by adding a few minor league vets in Duncan at AA and Lyman at PB. Also, signing 5 UDFAs out of US colleges this June.
    Garcia, Kamplain, Graves, and Schmidt look to be tough amateur signs, as we would have understood.

Good eye, Jumbo. I missed those three adds for some reason. I will update the above to be more accurate. Thanks for pointing it out.

3. Kansasbirdman says:

Both teams getting some hits. But the cards gettting them over the so far excellent D of the bucs

Holiday wore out the pitcher, Berkman took care of business. What a great season for Lance.

5. Kansasbirdman says:

It’s the socks/stirrups BB :-)

I like the negro league unis. You will know more than you ever wanted to know about the Stars ballpark if I ever get my article finished. St. Louis’s two negro league teams are included in Part 2. I’ve had to dig to find out about their ballparks.

6. Kansasbirdman says:

I am liking the defensive DPs as opposed to the offensive ones

7. CariocaCardinal says:

Craig at 2B tonight for Memphis.

8. Kansasbirdman says:

Anyone know why David Freese seems to always have a Batman mask in his locker?

9. RCWarrior says:

I expected the Cards would win these first two games as We had our best pitchers going against the Pirates middle of the road guys. Tomorrow quite possibly you will see the cardinals get-a-way squad and against a pretty good starter for the Pirates. Ad Pirates tomorrow .

I thought we’ve been seeing the getaway squad, RC. Pit will be desperate for a win though.

Wondering if you’ve had a chance to see your boy in the NY-Penn league yet.

Garcia seems to be shaking the problem with pitching on the road, two strong starts now. Mo will look mighty good for locking him up.

• RCWarrior says:

Have not been to the NYPenn league bling. I just can’t get away for long as I have so much going on around here and that trip is a doozy. He was the least talented of all my boys but he has really worked to get to where he is. Not saying he wasn’t a good athlete, just was more of a computer guy until his soph year and rarely spent time working on baseball. Him getting drafted is quite an accomplishment.

I’ll be checking in on the Muckdogs in about 10 days myself. Will surely introduce myself to Casey. Hope he doesn’t call me “Mr. Brian” like Colby, though. ;-)

RC, Aberdeen, MD, where the team is now would have been a better trip for you. Could fly into DC or Baltimore. They also play some games in the NYC metro area.

• RCWarrior says:

Case may not say anything. He is shy on top of shy. All he does is smile. :)

Brian, are you planning on trying to update the info on the future of the team/ownership?

That subject has been very quiet lately. I am going to see them on the road but will check on any scuttlebutt. Batavia is still dead last in the NYPL in attendance, averaging just 41 more people per game this year compared to last, so I can’t see how the situation will improve.

Some time back I noticed that Batavia’s attendance is in line with teams in the Appalachian League where JC plays. I guess the economics of the two leagues is different.

You are right, but the top drawing teams in the NYPL average six times more fans per game than Batavia.

• CariocaCardinal says:

Interesting observation. off the top of my head I see no reason why one would have higher costs than the other. Stadium costs could be slightly different. I’d think travel costs would be similar though the NYPL area probably has slightly higher hotel costs but the geographic distances would seem similar. Maybe it’s all those tolls on the Penn turnpike!

I’m hoping for the best. Tony will surely be gone by the time he’d make it up.

I think his team plays in Maryland this weekend, that’s about as close as its ever going to get to Alabama. The team there plays at Ripkin stadium right off I-95. I saw a few games there 8 or 10 years ago when it was brand new. Had a heck of a time getting a tickets. Place was always packed.

Depends on which Charlie Morton shows up tomorrow. After a great start, he was hammered in June (8.50 ERA), but has looked much better in July.

I like James McDonald better, but the Cards missed him this time.

We smeared the Pirates. When you look at the rosters and the salary differential, the Cards should be well ahead of the Pirates in the standings. The quartet of Franklin, Tallet, Miller, and Batista must help explain why we are only up 1 game.