Talking Cardinals Baseball on WGEM

On Wednesday morning, I joined Josh Houchins and Don O’Brien on WGEM ESPN 1440 Radio to talk St. Louis Cardinals baseball from New York, where the Cardinals are taking on the Mets in a three-game midweek series.

Josh is the host of WGEM SportsCenter, the only sports talk show in the Quincy, Ill. Area, from 7:00–9:00 A.M. every morning. You can learn more at wgem.com and follow the show on Twitter at @wgemesc

Sister station WGEM 105.1 FM is a member of the Cardinals radio network, broadcasting both spring training and regular season games. If you live in the Tri-State area, make sure you tune in all season long.

Click here for audioBrian Walton on WGEM SportsCenter (6:19)

45 Responses to “Talking Cardinals Baseball on WGEM”

Just listened to you on Sports Zone 1380 Brian. Good job.

Just how much playing time do you think Rasmus is really going to get?

lineup 7/20: schumaker 2B, jay RF, holliday LF, berkman 1B, freese 3B, rasmus CF, laird C, descalso SS, mcclellan P

3. Kansasbirdman says:

That bunt was AWESOME!

4. Kansasbirdman says:

Wgem. What’s the tristate area, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas?

Well, they did better against Dickey than I thought they would.

Clearly we can’t win the division with this pitching.

Very disappointing game.
    Good idea of TLR’s to get both Jay and Rasmus in the lineup, give Albert a little bit of downtime.
    I dislike TLR leaving Salas for a second inning. We have other pitchers. I would rather lose by spreading out the innings than lose by riding the good pitchers.
    Ugh.

Not much choice in the bullpen Jumbo. Miller and Valdes are worthless. Boggs has been hit and miss.

Mo has said he doesn’t want to trade off his big league pieces but that means prospects and most if not all teams are going to want Miller or Martinez which is unacceptable in my mind. We could bring Dickson back up but that would not solve the loogy problem.

I don’t see how the team can stand pat and have any hope of winning the division.

7. CariocaCardinal says:

Agree, why kill Salas for tomorrow night anyway?

• RCWarrior says:

I agree CC, I liked Salas in the 9th but thought Tony should have gone to somebody else in the 10th.

• RCWarrior says:

Yikes, Cal Eldred threw Tony under the bus in regards to Salas. He may be working at Ed’s pub with Jack Clark before all is said and done. ;)

TLR/DD have had an off year in relation to the bullpen. I fear they burned out Sanchez and his career, while protecting Franklin and Tallet.
        We have Walters and Boggs. They should be used. Work should be distributed and good pitchers protected, not overworked.

8. RCWarrior says:

How jacked up do you think Izzy is? Two games against his former cardinals and he gets a win and a save. I noticed he had a pretty big smile while walking off the field.

There has been talk about getting another starter and moving KMac to the bullpen. Dave Duncan poo pooed that idea. If we did get a starter who could we get and at what price? Shields is probably not an option unless Mo gives up Colby. Question for those who know more than me. Is Hiroki Kuroda worth kicking the tires on?

Well I’m here if anyone cares to talk. Looks like most have abandoned ship. :)

• Leebo says:

Im here, get to watcht the game today, I usually miss most of the games because I go to work at night. I love the weekday afternoon starts.

Still plenty of lurkers but commenting is down the last few days. Seems like some only posted to complain about other posters. I have no issue with fewer comments with a higher percent actually worth reading. Thanks for staying around… ;-)

• Bw52 says:

Brian-Read every day.Post when feel like the BS meter gets overloaded from the West.Maybe you like reading wordy nonsense that gets in the way of baseball talk.I dislike that.Still its your blog……..

11. Leebo says:

Weird seeing a routine double play turned.

It’s interesting about Descalso playing SS. The first time TLR put him there, our host Brian asked TLR about playing him there in the future and was sternly told no. I floated the idea on Twitter the next day and several Cardinal “fans” let me know it was a stupid idea because Descalso couldn’t play SS :)

• Leebo says:

He has looked pretty good at short to me. Seems I remember his short stop defensive numbers aren’t much better than theriot’s. I will take another look at the stats.

• Kansasbirdman says:

Couldn’t watch the game today but the last two games at short DD looked good with the glove but floated the throws, he gets the throw on target and I say his d is as solid as anyone’s at ss

Molina is mired in quite a slump as well lately. Batting .205 for the month of July so far. I hope he figures it out soon.

13. Leebo says:

This game is going by very fast. May be under two hours

St. Louis media reports that Lohse was sent back to St. Louis to be examined for a “finger issue” He is supposed to pitch in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Westbrook looked good. Perhaps he should pitch in the heat all of the time.

I never did get an answer to my Hiroki Kuroda query. Too much of a head case for TLR?

I don’t know much about his reputation. Numbers don’t look bad. Never an ERA above four. Doesn’t seem to hurt himself. Could do a lot worse. Of course, it all depends on the price. It may be higher since he has a no-trade clause in his contract.